Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

BMW diesels

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts
Default BMW diesels

i suppose bt now everyone has heard about BMs, addition of its new diesel.

WOW close to 400hp, and over 500lbs ft. road ripping torque.

and whats with 3 turbos on an in line 6, two small ones for quick spool up. and then the center big turbo comes on, for(guessing) 400 hp out of 3L , around 25-35- boost>

darn,, we even have HP wars in the diesels, just gotta love modern technology.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there Ronbros....no I hadn't heard tell me more!

What about the high speed test that Auto express done in a BMW 535D?

They used DMS Automotive to tune it a little giving it 344bhp and 638Nm of torque...( Its those torque numbers that figure highly in a diesel ) and took it for an official high speed test to the Nardo Bowl in Italy.

The 12.5km (7.8-mile) circuit is banked, so that at 155mph there are no cornering forces acting on the car – you can take your hands off the steering wheel and it will hold its line. Winter is also the perfect time to visit, because the cooler temperatures deliver denser air to the engine, meaning more power and less risk of overheating.

The limiter was removed and they managed to hit 173.8MPH...pretty impressive stuff in a DIESEL I'd say.......

They also managed to avergae 14.5 mpg fuel consumption too......all from a 3.0 diesel engine

The monster AC Schnitzer ACS3 3.5d Coupe reached a whopping 288.7km/h (179.4mph) around southern Italy’s Nardo high-speed race circuit to bring home a third world record for the German tuner

I reckon the Audi A8 4.2 V8 Tdi Quattro is quicker still.
0-60 in 5 secs limted to 155mph......take the limiter off and remap that bad boy!!!!
Thats what I'm aiming for at some point whilst still getting 35mpg - 40mpg on a long motorway run.....can't be bad

Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Funny I was reading about these yesterday.

Ferdinand Piech, head of Audi at the time, famously said many years ago that:

"People think they are buying horsepower. What they are really buying is torque".

For some time now Audi Diesels have had much greater torque than horsepower.

Here's an appetizer:

BMW M Cars get tri-turbo diesel - BBC Top Gear

cheers,

jj

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (11-05-2014)
Old 01-31-2012, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice one JJ.....Good find.

I do believe that BMW were and may even still be ahead of Audi in the diesel stakes.....I've been in a brand new M5 a little while ago and shortly after drove a 335 twin turbo diesel.

Yes the M5 was sportier looking and a little faster ( there wasn't much in it !! ) but the mix of mph / acceleration / power AND economy in the diesel....WOW!!

Don't think there's a huge amount in it now as far as diesel engines go, Audi are close and I just happen to love their styling over BMW at the moment.

Being an oil burner for over 20 years from when it really was bad.....really noisy, smelly, tractor like and slow....I can fully appreciate the developments in recent years.
The single biggest smile per mile is when some young petrolhead wants to race and all you can see is his face in your rearview mirror choking on your fumes, whilst looking at your TDI badge.....lol

Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Jim;

I once traded some sheepskin seat covers for an old clapped out Audi 100 diesel.

They were very nice seat covers.

The only way, and I mean only way, to get it up to speed was to keep your boot in the accelerator and speed shift.
Clutch in, but floor the accelerator to the floor, and up shift quickly.

Not that there was any real danger of over revving but it would take a month for it to regain any rpm's if you let the engine speed drop to a normal gear shifting speed.

Kind of put me off until I drove a Mercedes 300 Turbo diesel a little later.

Zoom!!

Always favored them as rental cars, but the Rental agencies have wised-up in Europe and they actually charge more for them now.

We can't win.

Unless Santa puts one of these M550X's in my stocking.

Hmmmm snowed in here in the Alps today so this might be an easy sell to Santa's Elf in chief....the ISMW'Elf'.

"But Honey tell Santa it's four wheel drive, and I don't mind getting it early for Valentine's Day".

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 01-31-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

great when a topic comes together!

my 1st experience with diesel engine and hp and torque was back around 1980, when at a vocational shool in FL. USA, they had on display a detroit diesel engine on a Dyno test rig.

in-line 6, noisey as h$ll , but it made 200hp at 2300rpm, but incredible 700ft.lbs, it sure got me thinkin. how could that be used in a car!

NOW recently things have changed a lot(wish i had pix), last year at the TEXAS MILE speed events, a private individual in a modified Ford Mustang, with a Chevy DuraMax 6.6L diesel in it, went 205MPH in a standing stop to max speed in one measured mile.
YES quite few petrol guys were impressed, haha gotta love it.

and another interesting thing took place at Bonneville FLYING mile , an almost stock 2011 Ford truck went 175mph without aero effects, using street diesel fuel, they added Biodiesel fuel and went 182mph.

the almost stock came from removing all emission and limiter controls!

they used factory gearing and an automatic transmission, retuned TCU.

i will try to get more info and pix. i'm not good with computors, like taking a pic off the net and putting it on a site, or into my albums.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

absolutly shocking!

yesterday seen a new BMW X5 suv thing, on the side it said 3.5 L diesel.

gave him the thumbs up, and he returned with a smile, surprised anyone would notice his diesel.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've just traded on a E60 shape 535d Msport. That had a DMS management upgrade and upgraded suspension and M5 wheels.

It was quick, don't get me wrong, but the mix of run-flat tyres and upgraded suspension the ride quality was terrible.

On the right road, on the right day, not much would keep up with it, but i would sooner sacrifice power and torque and go for a Diesel 3.0D XF-S. Much more refined, comfortable and in the real world, just as potent.

Just goes to show that the German power race has left petrol engines and now firmly in the hands of diesels. Audi have a 3.0V6 TTDI now, prouduce a tad over 300bhp and around 500ish lb/ft torque. Even has a sound reonating chamber in the exhaust to make it sound more "petrol" like - according to Autocar magazine.