Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

DPF and Engine Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DPF and Engine Oil Level

My Jaguar dealer has just reported 'high engine oil level which could be due to DPF region failure'. Now I am aware that over-filled engine oil can damage the DPF, presumably due to burnt oil passing into the DPF and clogging it. But the DPF somehow causing a high engine oil level is stretching my imagination! Can anybody illuminate me or are they pulling the wool?

Old 12-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

I think that fuel can get into the oil with a filter failure, diluting it and raising the level.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a really good explanation in the Jaguar Technical Guide for the XJ 2.7 and X 2.2 Diesel Engines. Basically Active Regeneration post-injects fuel to raise the temperature of the DPF. This increases the fuel content of the engine oil which triggers an alarm and "Service Required" indication when a theoretical 7% is reached. This is the reason why you should never fill the sump to the maximum dipstick mark.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

And the fuel is a bad lubricant which can cause engine destruction. There have been reports of engine runaway, too. Just change the oil if it gets diluted by fuel.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 06:03 AM
Unhappy DPF and Engine Oil

Thanks - very interesting comments. Yes indeed the X-Type has often shown 'Service Required' prematurely (even with the oil well below the dipstick top mark). Perhaps the sensor actually measures % contamination rather than oil level. The Jag dealers could not explain this apart from saying that it frequently happens. And to cap it all my local dealer has yet again overfilled the engine oil at the last service. I do wish they'd read their own technical manuals!

JimC64 (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Yes, all of the above and as stated.

DO keep an eye on your oil levels and if it gets to the max, try smelling the dipstick for traces of diesel......an oil change would be in order!

DON'T fill your oil to the max, but instead to around the halfway mark.

I believe that a lot of stop / start / cold journeys with the car not getting up to temp has this adverse affect, not allowing the DPF to regenerate fully.

I saw a car whilst at Prestige Jaguar in Glasgow last week, stunning car......engine gone due to this issue looking at ££££ to fix.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64
I saw a car whilst at Prestige Jaguar in Glasgow last week, stunning car......engine gone due to this issue looking at ££££ to fix.
Aww, that sucks.

Which car/engine?

Old 02-19-2014, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Aww, that sucks.

Which car/engine?

Pretty sure it was the same as mine, XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign.....looked to be in great shape too, private reg and not a whole lot of miles according to the garage.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

To clarify, there is no sensor which measures the fuel content of the oil. It is done by an algorithm which calculates theoretical dilution based on the number and frequency of Active DPF Regenerations. This is more likely to happen when driving on short, cold runs than longer runs. For instance, my Service Required indicator came up within 8,000 miles of a service over the winter/spring period when I was not doing much motorway driving.

JimC64 (02-19-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, and for some (all 2.7D? others?) of the cars there's a reflash which is when the algorithm was introduced or improved - a must-have reflash really! (Though I suppose one could arge that frequently checking the engine oil ought to be enough and of course everyone does that. haha)

Old 02-21-2014, 05:17 AM

Am I the only one beginning to think Jaguar get owners to do their product testing? There is nothing at all in the x-Type owner manuals about the 'Service Reqd' message and clearly the dealers know little about it too. I reckon using a DPF Diesel for anything other than medium distance journeys could be courting trouble.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

You could say the same about all makes - was it Honda or Toyota who had those runaway cars? DPFs (and EGRs on diesels) have been painful but with air quality problems, mainly due to diesel, causing major health problems something has to be done or diesels may have to be banned. I don't think car makers really want that. I'm guessing you saw the UK news that air quality has failed to come into limits in many cities so UK is being sued as it had to comply by 2010.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

why not just remove the DPF?
put a straight piece of pipe in.

we do it quite often, makes more power and better MPG, then remap the computor, so it dont flash end of world is coming.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Diesel Particulate Filter

It would have helped if jaguar had put into the handbook the type of oil to be used with a DPFilter as the oil mentioned wss-m2c 913c is for an engine without the said filter as at the time these were offered as an option .I have looked into this over the past few months and contacted Castrol who were very helpful and was told that engine oil to be used should be a Low Ash C1 Ford/Jaguar WSS-M2C934-B . Some main dealers use Mobil x1 3000 FE 5W30 which I think has the number WSS-M2C 914 D but on the Europarts computer system this Mobil Oil say,s it can be used With or Without the Diesel Particulate Filter.Another thing to mention is the Oil Filter which a Genuine Jaguar One should be used as some other makes restrict the Flow of Oil passing through the Filter

Regards

Tom

Old 03-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

An interesting suggestion but even the Workshop Manual seems to say the oil should be to spec WSS-M2C913-B so I wonder why the spec you posted seems not to be anywhere else, not even in the updated workshop Manual?

I also see no reference to low ash.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Diesel Particulate Filter

Hi
On about these Dam Particulate Filters again as of Feb 2014 they are included in the MOT Test and they cannot be removed if they were fitted during car manufacture and if removed car will Fail Mot Test. As for using a Low Ash Oil they say if this oil is not used the DPFilter will get blocked up sooner.

A member said he had not seen the spec WSS-M2C 913-C in the manuals well this is my Handbook along with 913 A &913 B got a Quote from Main Dealer and Quoted the 913 C Oil and hence did not take them up on it due to the cost.

These Filters do actually get blocked and can be cleaned after the vehicle has done between 80,000 &150,000 so i am told.

Checking my car through the Reg Number it comes up 2005 SPORT MODEL put in 2009 2-2 DPF and the screen comes blank that's why i contacted Castrol as got no help from Jaguar

Regards

Tom

Old 10-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just posting so that I become subscribed to the thread.

Cheers

Old 05-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the DPF issue twice now in in 1 mouth and 1500 km gap. Annoying to say the least. Now that I'm reading this I'm starting to worry.

Car has around 100000 km now. Problems started at around 98000km.

-YES - DPF yellow signal turns on followed by a red "service required"
-YES - it worsened when I drove cold runs for 3 months straight.

What I've noticed couple of months b4 DPF waring is:
fuel consumption went up.
There is a particular smell to the exhaust after driving for a while. -like burning asbestos of a sorts...
Deeper sound of the engine.
Slight loss of power.

after doing a "cleaning cycle" and changing the DPF sensor above noticed "symptoms" went away.

Now that I wrote it down I'm starting to think this might be a huge problem... O_O!

ps.It seems to me that I smelled it on the exhaust fist after using STP fuel additive to "clean my engine" at around 84k... might be linked, I'm not sure.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Sebastian

The Jag is an excellent car. Great engine and super reliable.

We work on them often but only ever an issue when the DPF is at the centre of things.

I cannot tell you to "DO IT" but many customers (some on the forum) have had the DPF removed and the ECU edited by us (strictly for off road use only I might add) and the cars are then back to their greatness.

Our remapping service nets better power by 20 - 25% and better fuel economy by 5 -7% normally. No more regeneration, no more engine oil contamination and cheaper oil changes as you no longer need the expensive low ash stuff.

Hope this helps

Regards

Robert

ronbros (05-20-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Increased oil level/DPF regeneration on Diesel engines

hi there,
may I just add my '2-cents' of knowledge here, since I drive a S-Type 2.7D over 18 months now and it may be other Diesel owners will come up with the same issue.

YES that's (most probably) right that regeneration of the DPF may cause a rise of oil level if the procedure is done repeatedly e.g. when driving mainly short distances. I found that now on several forums/threads already (Peugeot and Jaguar alike).
On cars (like mine) which are driven motorways quite frequently you hardly notice those cleaning cycles at all (sometimes there is a faint smell/ticking exhausts when leaving the car).

YES under certain circumstances that oil level may cause an "engine runaway" (which may end in a blown-up engine if not worse), when the car starts burning oil instead of fuel. So take it serious.

From what I know the earlier models had issues with the DPF regeneration more often, so it would be an idea to see if your engine software is "up to date".

NO, here in Austria it would be an absolute no-go to remove the DPF. It may be different in England but over here you would fail your next MOT - that's for granted! And as JagV8 mentioned already: there is a reason those cars have DPF installed nowadays.

NO, I check my engine oil frequently and it went neither up nor down within a service interval. But as mentioned before I hardly drive short distance.

Whereas I start to believe that turbos with DPF are a "ticking time-bomb for self-destruction" (at least if you don't do oil change at least at the required intervals): DPF requires a cleaning cycle which is mostly achieved by injecting more fuel into the engine to burn those residues. Which increases engine temperature over a period of time which - as a result - carbonises the engine oil much faster. And now there are 1 or 2 turbos running with 100.000 rpm with that oil ...

As a conclusion and as much as I love my "cat" I would not recommend it for somebody who commutes <20kms and/or in stop&go traffic only.

rgds
Martin

Last edited by DukeOfStyria; 06-08-2015 at 08:02 AM.

Quick Reply: DPF and Engine Oil Level