Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

DPF and Engine Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

to each his own, of course it helps to live in a free country, No mot in Texas for diesel vehicles.
but many vehicles around here run much better with emission removal componets!

20-25% more power, and better MPG, and best of all NO oil contamination!

and the diesel engine is the best when running long time periods at 75% of conitinuos output!

Old 06-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It does surprise me that some folk think that the emission systems on cars are their to help to engine live longer. Check forums of all makes and models and you will get people saying things like: "EGR is there to cool combustion temps so the engine does not get too hot" Totally incorrect !

Nevertheless, I understand the need for a cleaner engine and planet but I do feel most emission systems are ad hoc... not at all thought through for what is good for both engine and planet.

Case in point is the DPF. a terrible method of reducing soot. The Ad blu system is 100% better without restricting the exhaust flow and killing engine power.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (06-10-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 04:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DPF's

Originally Posted by Chip Tuning
It does surprise me that some folk think that the emission systems on cars are their to help to engine live longer. Check forums of all makes and models and you will get people saying things like: "EGR is there to cool combustion temps so the engine does not get too hot" Totally incorrect !

Nevertheless, I understand the need for a cleaner engine and planet but I do feel most emission systems are ad hoc... not at all thought through for what is good for both engine and planet.

Case in point is the DPF. a terrible method of reducing soot. The Ad blu system is 100% better without restricting the exhaust flow and killing engine power.
'agree that DPF's are far from perfect but does AdBlue reduce soot as well as NOx??

Old 06-11-2015, 04:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

NOx reduction is manly handled by the EGR ... but ...

"SCR, like EGR, also involves trade-offs, according to Dr. Stephen Ciatti. “NOx is very hard to get rid of once it is formed,” he says. “It doesn't like to break apart. One way to get it to do that is to introduce something that will compete with the nitrogen for those oxygen molecules. The urea, or (NH2)2CO, injected into the exhaust stream during the SCR process does exactly that. In the presence of a catalyst, it turns into ammonia and carbon dioxide, which then reacts with the NOx to create nitrogen and water vapor"

Last edited by Chip Tuning; 06-11-2015 at 04:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chip Tuning:
Mooltan (11-29-2015), ronbros (06-12-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Some of you guys live where emissions are perhaps at acceptable levels, but do bear in mind that UK (and EU generally) has such dire pollution levels (due almost entirely to diesels) that many thousands of people are dying prematurely. In UK/EU, remaps to disable DPF, EGR, etc are illegal and immoral.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE:
1st of thank you very much for all your answers.

So here is what I done since:
-regular annual/km service... change the oil etc, and the problem went away.
YES - oil level was slightly above max before oil change... go figure -.-
AGAIN after 4000 km driving mostly cold runs (you guessed it) I got DPF FULL message again tonight.
Will go to the shop tomorrow and will keep you guys posted on this issue.

As far as the removal of the DPF goes, I have to agree with people rooting for healthy environment to live in. There is also the "problem" of annual checkups for the emissions which would, without a DPF in place, be..hmm.. how should I put it... a pain in the exhaust... )

If any of you have any additional wisdom on the matter it would be much appreciated.
Thank you again

Old 08-28-2015, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member

Switch to a non-DPF car e.g. petrol.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Switch to a non-DPF car e.g. petrol.
agreed. This was my 3ed diesel engine car (had a BMW x5 and Chrysler 300 b4) and I gotta say I despised every single one of them thinking the next one will be better. So yeah, not gonna do that mistake again - with all do respect with some of you diesel lovers - it just does not work for me. I'm even thinking going electric for my next car tbh O.o

Back to the topic
UPDATE:

Ok, so I took it for a "cleanse" run the next day. The yellow indicator with a "DPF full" message popped up 5min after starting the car and stayed on for the next 20 km or so.
I took it on a high way and drove it consistently at around 1500 rpms at 80ish km/h for 20km or so.
Engine had a deeper noise in the second half of the run. After 20 km yellow indicator turned off and the message went away, engine noise changed back to normal and car continued to perform flawlessly for the rest of the day.

Today I did the same, just for the sake of it. Car performed great and everything seems to be in order.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

sounds like an Italian tune up!!!

Old 11-26-2015, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Sebastian - Here's how most of us are dealing with this issue

Do check your oil regularly and Don't Ignore any service required messages, your oil level will rise as fuel dumps into the sump due to incomplete DPF regens, take that for granted

I've been running mine for around 21 months and about a little over 32k miles so far with no issues. I do mostly stop / start and around town runs with some long distance motorway runs thrown in too.
I change my oil around 3-4 times per year and ALWAYS only ever fill to just under halfway, this allows for the issues as mentioned above and buys you some more time.

Hope it helps
Jim

Old 11-28-2015, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64
Sebastian - Here's how most of us are dealing with this issue

Do check your oil regularly and Don't Ignore any service required messages, your oil level will rise as fuel dumps into the sump due to incomplete DPF regens, take that for granted

I've been running mine for around 21 months and about a little over 32k miles so far with no issues. I do mostly stop / start and around town runs with some long distance motorway runs thrown in too.
I change my oil around 3-4 times per year and ALWAYS only ever fill to just under halfway, this allows for the issues as mentioned above and buys you some more time.

Hope it helps
Jim

thank you so very much
I've been doing that ever since. When the "DPF FULL" message pops up I just take it for a spin and it clears out in about 20 km driving 80ish km/h @ 1500 rpm's. Oil is set to half the marker on the dipstick as you suggested.

Were you (or anyone else here) thinking of swapping the DPF for a new one?
is there some fix or a new one is required?
what would be the normal or average millage on the car when DPF should be replaced?

Old 11-29-2015, 02:24 AM

The diesel particulate filter causes alot of problems and basically a pain in the neck. It is such a nuisance that the DPF should be designed in such a way that the ceramic monolith can be removed (by unbolting its casing I'm thinking) so that it can be easily cleaned.

I would advise any jaguar diesel owner to get an OBD11 reader with datastream and a copy of the workshop manual so you are not entirely at the mercy of the dealerships.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:20 AM

The is a red DPF Full error message on the dash.

However when I check the DPF Differential pressures with the OBD Reader the voltages (pressures) are within limits. Exhaust temperatures are normal and not showing regeneration temperatures. The car is in restricted performance mode but this does not show on the dash. I've recently driven 400km at motorway speeds.

I feel the DPF is not blocked but the ECU seems to think it is.

Any suggestions.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

There were some changes to the software - has your car got the latest? (I think only a dealer will add it.)

In case it's having failed regens you may well get diesel in the sump with potential disaster next.