Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

Injectors.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Buck

Your link to the tech info on the 2.7D is very similar to that contained in the Technical Guide for the S-Type diesel that is still available in print but is a little newer because it icludes details of the DPF which the S-Type does not. It also has much more info about the auto box and is very useful to us diesel owners so many thanks for providing the link.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More good reads from our resident experts. I too am very satisfied with my 2005 S-Type 2.7D. Piezo-electric injectors should theoretically have a longer life than normal solenoid-actuated injectors, since motion range is smaller and there are fewer moving parts. I have seen somewhere a warning that they are a bit more sensitive to impact damage,and it makes sense to me: very fine tolerances and a bunch of very slim crystals inside is a recipe for easy damage by a hammer blow...so don`t drop your wrenches on them when working on the engine bay!

Other than that, I would say we are better off than those with solenoid injectors, both from a longevity point of view and from a "consistency over time" point of view.

As for a remap, I am more than sold on its advantages...but I still have not found any shop with a minimum of experience on these engines in my country. Everybody here buys BMW and Mercedes, and VWs in various guises, including the ones with a bowtie (AKA Audis...)

Still, my 206 BHP have served me excellently, my fuel mileage is perfectly normal, and no ugly problems have arisen yet (well, only one, and was expected), so I`m happy, even without a remap. I only wish I had more time to dedicate, to the car and to these forums, where I have learned so much.

Thank you all.

DF

Old 02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

HEY ! Guys,, what changes were done to the 2.7D Peugeot-Citroen engine , compared to the Jag 2.7D engine? .

what are the important major changes ,, are the cyl. block the same or different, how about the cylinder head castings??

also other simpler changes.

RON

Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Same basic engine but ` tweeked` by Jaguar

Old 02-05-2011, 03:33 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The blocks are different from the original PSA design in that CGI/compacted graphited iron is used to reduce weight. Hence the lightness of this engine. A few top-end makers use this material.
The injectors are piezo-electric instead of solenoid, with practically no inertia and therefore faster. A contributor commented there would be less wear with piezo-electric, and I can buy that since the movement is nano-molecular from the piezo stack, and the amplification is hydraulic, virtually no moving parts therefore no wear. Also I think something was done by Jaguar/Ford around the turbochargers, maybe someone can establish this?
The engine mounts are super-sophisticated to reduce idle shake to the body. The engine has the characteristic Jaguar effect -- "it just seems to go on accelerating".
Leedsman.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Leeds,, where in the world are the CGI blocks actually cast, i understand not in UK, not in USA.

only places i can find, are INDIA,, and BRAZIL.

any other places you know of??

come to think of it TATA is india!!

Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Casting CGI blocks is probably surrounded by secrecy, but I always thought it would be Dagenham....
Leedsman.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

also the NASCAR race teams, are now using CGI blocks but they get them shipped in semi-finished machined.
then they finish to there own specs, but talking to some guys ,nobody knows where they actually come from!! sure is odd.