E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

1964 E-type, What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have my condolences on the loss of your brother-in-law.

Well, you have a series 1 FHC. Series 1 is nice, but it would be more desireable if it was a '65 with the 4.2l engine. I think the '64 would not have the Moss gearbox and if so, that would be a plus. Being a coupe rather than a roadster makes it much less valuable.

It's hard to say what it is worth just from those pictures. It really depends on the extent of rust on the car. Typical spots would be under the floormats, doorsills and under the battery tray. These things rust from the inside out so there can be a lot of rust which is hidden. Since the car is so old and hasn't been driven much, most of the rubber bits on the car (like ball joints, etc.) are probably shot and would have to be replaced at some point.

A nicely restored 1964 series 1 coupe used to average around $50K (low 32K and high 109K according to the NADA guide 12/08) but that number is probably more like $40K right now due to the recession.

If the car drives well and cleans up nicely, I think you might be able to get $25-30K for it. In the end, it's worth whatever somebody will pay for it.

If you post on the JCNA website or the jag lover forum email list, you may get some more knowledgeable opinions.

The completed listing function on ebay is always a good place to start if you can find a car that looks to be in similar condition.

Last edited by Devil Jag; 10-07-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hornbrod@yahoo.com
Thanks very much for the response. The car has been either in CA or AL it's whole life, always garaged, and there is no rust. I have looked under the floor mats, wheel wells, and undercarriage and it's all solid. Also thanks for the suggestions; I'll post it up the the forum you mentioned and check Ebay's completed listings. The figures you mentioned were about what I thought.

You are very welcome.

I have some more ideas to help with the sale.

You could contact the local JCNA chapter for Alabama and put an add in their newsletter. I know some folks in the Smoky Mountain Chapter (mostly East TN/Western NC people) but that might be too far away from the where the car is.

You could also contact one of the local Jag dealers in a city nearby and see if there is a salesman or someone who might be able to locate a buyer for a small fee. We sold my mom's XK-140 through a contact at a dealership, received a good price for the car and paid the dealership guy a 5% commission. Sometimes, your dealership contact might not need to be a salesman but maybe a service advisor who knows who has old cars (and a larger collection) as they may be bringing them in for service.

Also, if you really wanted to get rid of it in a hurry, you could find yourself a restoration shop and asked them to buy it. You won't get a great offer but it may eliminate a lot of hassle. There are always adds for people wanting to buy E types in Classic Motorsports and Hemmings.

Last edited by Devil Jag; 10-07-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd keep the E, and ditch that Mustang...lol

But I agree with Matt...it just depends on what a buyer is willing to pay for it (how bad someone wants it). I found a few floating around the net ranging in price from $45k to $55k (US).

Last edited by m0t0rm0uth; 10-09-2009 at 03:17 AM.