E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

3spd auto to 4spd O/D manual conversion

Old 12-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking 3spd auto to 4spd O/D manual conversion

Hello people !

After driving the restored E-type for about 6 months (THANK YOU for all your help and advice), sorting a whole long punchlist with minor items, did about 2000 miles loving every second of it - my hands were getting itchy, the wife was over the initial outlay - I have taken the plunge... The autobox is going to be replaced with a 4spd manual with O/D...!

I spend countless hours researching the topic, weighing the pros and cons, deciding I dont really want a japanese box in my english gem, ensuring I can actually do it myself - and have settled on an XJ6 O/D box. Its getting delivered shortly along with bellhousing, clutch pedal (LHD), gearlever etc.

Need to get a clutch, master/salve cylinder, pipework, bottle, etc etc - and I am sure Ill be finding much more is needed when the thing is out and on the bench.

Any (and I mean any) advice from members who have gone down this path before is appreciated - I'll keep you posted on the progress over the next couple months.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:33 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CzechJag68
Hello people !

I spend countless hours researching the topic, weighing the pros and cons, deciding I dont really want a japanese box in my english gem, ensuring I can actually do it myself - and have settled on an XJ6 O/D box. Its getting delivered shortly along with bellhousing, clutch pedal (LHD), gearlever etc.

Need to get a clutch, master/salve cylinder, pipework, bottle, etc etc - and I am sure Ill be finding much more is needed when the thing is out and on the bench.

Any (and I mean any) advice from members who have gone down this path before is appreciated - I'll keep you posted on the progress over the next couple months.
Hello CzechJag68,
The OD unit used with the XJ6 is a Type A, Laycock De-Normanville. Its a good conversion, as the gearbox and O/D will fit into a long wheelbase platform (S3, or S1/S2 2+2) Drive Line without any modifications to Tail-shaft or transmission tunnel. However, you will need to get a Gearbox Top Cover for an E Type if you want the gear lever to be in the original E Type position; the XJ6 Top Cover places the gear lever a good two inches further to the rear. A Top Cover from an E Type Gearbox will be fairly hard to come by, but I believe Denis Welch Motorsports make an After Market unit, but quite expensive for the complete unit. (you will need the complete unit to have the correct length selector rods).

You haven't specified the model. If its an S3 V12 E type, its advisable to upgrade the overdrive to competition spec - springs, pump. UDC/ clutch etc.

Overdrive Spares can do this work for around £500.00 plus carriage plus VAT. The link to them follows:

http://www.odspares.com/phdi/p1.nsf/...ocument&part=2

Regards,

Brent

Last edited by bkeats; 12-20-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Brent !

Yes, I am aware the lever will sit 2 inches further back - That's where I want it!! I am 6 feet 5" and have the seat all the way back and pointing backwards - the only way I can get in the thing and be haha, so having it further back is actually much better. Drawback is of course its an immediate giveaway for the purists and connaisseurs, but so be it. I'd love to have the O/D switch on the gearstick like on my MG, but I'll decide that later.

Note my car is an S2 2+2, I believe your other comments about fit are valid.

Keep the comments coming people - this is super helpful to test my understanding and ensure I've not forgotten about something !