E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

To Close or not to close

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 10:50 AM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

OCDHerb,
The important thing is that you like the car and are happy with it.
Your car is a series 1 just like my 68 FHC under restoration is a series 1. But if we follow the market's need to differentiate our cars from the herd because of the legislated modifications, your car falls under the "series 1.25" and my 68 coupe is a 1.5. But jaguar never called them that. They are both officially series 1 cars.
My 67 OTS is bone stock. The 68 coupe I am restoring...not so much. It is getting a 5 speed gearbox, series two brakes, XJ6 heads for better breathing, SU tri-carb set up, up graded cooling, and back to the dealer installed AC. The coupe is being built to be driven. But all the upgrades are reversible, and I am keeping all the parts for the next owner when the time comes. Just in case. If you are considering covering your headlights, take a look at the kit offered by Monocoque. I have no personal experience with it, but many that have, say it is a very good quality conversion. Call them and talk with the owner. He can explain what it takes to install the kit. Plus, they have a huge number of videos on you tube that show some of the work they do.
Build your car, drive it, and enjoy it in good health for a long time.
Good luck on your decision and let us know which way you go.
Bill.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill,

How lucky you are to have two S1 E-Types. And you are absolutely correct. It's all about what makes me happy. I'm just not sure which that is.

I've spoken with Doug at Monocoque. Great guy. If I choose to cover the headlamps, I will definitely use his kit. Unfortunately I have a couple other panels that need to be replaced due to rust which will come from Monocoque.

Thanks for the input. I'm sure it won't be my last posting.

Herb

Old 08-01-2022, 01:53 PM

Herb,
This site, as well as the other Jaguar E-Type site, are an incredible source for information and opinions. There is a wealth of knowledge that is shared freely and with good intentions. Ask all the questions that you can come up with, I am sure that more than one member will have helpful information. And yes, I am a very fortunate person to have not one, but two E-types, and they have some good company in the garage. My wife and I have had the coupe for 41 years. That is the car she drove to college and was our daily driver for several years. It was finally time to restore it and we are doing a full nut and bolt restoration.
I am not sure if I am correct on this, but I believe that to cover your headlights you only need to purchase the trim, glass, and seal. Is that correct? Or do you have to do metal work to the bonnet?
Stay well,
Bill.

Old 08-01-2022, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Daytona
Herb,
This site, as well as the other Jaguar E-Type site, are an incredible source for information and opinions. There is a wealth of knowledge that is shared freely and with good intentions. Ask all the questions that you can come up with, I am sure that more than one member will have helpful information. And yes, I am a very fortunate person to have not one, but two E-types, and they have some good company in the garage. My wife and I have had the coupe for 41 years. That is the car she drove to college and was our daily driver for several years. It was finally time to restore it and we are doing a full nut and bolt restoration.
I am not sure if I am correct on this, but I believe that to cover your headlights you only need to purchase the trim, glass, and seal. Is that correct? Or do you have to do metal work to the bonnet?
Stay well,
Bill.
Bill,
Wish my college girlfriend (now wife) drove a Jag.

No I'm afraid there is metal work involved. A little flange needs to be welded on to the headlamp holes in the bonnet. There are also four bolt in panels behind the headlamp buckets. And, of course, the wiring harness is different.

Does your '67 have open or closed Headlamps?

Herb

Old 08-01-2022, 07:37 PM

Herb,
The 67 OTS does have open headlights. It was built in May 1967.
So, the metal flange that you have to weld in is to support the headlight bucket assembly? I didn't realize there was welding required.
Bill.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:38 PM

Bill, Here is a link to the process as executed by Monocoque Jaguar.

https://www.monocoque-metalworks.com...mp-conversion/