E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

To Close or not to close

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 09:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default To Cover or not to cover

I am in the process of restoring an early 1967 E-Type with open headlights and I'm debating whether to convert them to covered headlights or not. Things to consider are originality and impact on the car's value. Monocoque has a kit for the purpose. I'm asking for feedback especially from anyone who has done this.

OCD Herb

Last edited by OCDHerb; 07-27-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:31 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Herb:

If it’s an early 1967 E-type it should have covered headlights. Perhaps the bonnet was replaced at some point?

If it was my car I would go through the pain and expense of refitting covered headlights, one of the most iconic details of a Series 1 E-type.

Good luck,
Alan
N.J.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:41 PM

The bonnet is original. It was in the grey, change over period based on the serial number.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:45 PM
Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

Herb the 'Grey' area is very well documented, There was a clear change over with the exceptions noted in the bulletins.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:50 AM
Default Info please.

Originally Posted by Coventry Foundation
Herb the 'Grey' area is very well documented, There was a clear change over with the exceptions noted in the bulletins.
Could you please point me to the documentation on the open headlamps? I have books with conflicting information and I've seen cars with higher VINs than mine with covered headlamps and vice versa.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:17 AM

Herb all of the books take the information from this bulletin. So here you go.

The following users liked this post:
SeansJagAdventure (08-02-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 12:37 PM
Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

JCNA publications are based on factory documentation and are probably best available. The JCNA E-Type Series 1 Judging guide has all the details on the changes.

The books are available to download for free for JCNA members. If you're not a member - its worth it for these - and the tool loan program etc.

HTH, Dave

Old 07-29-2022, 03:18 PM

Dave you are right--and we provided a lot of the documents for Bob's guide.

Old 07-29-2022, 04:41 PM

I am a proud member of JCNA (Rocky Mountain Chapter) and a certified judge. But, now I am really confused.

According to the document you cited, on the top right it says that at 1E15889 these changes to the headlamps were introduced. However, in the body, it says E114532.

Which is it?

Herb

Last edited by OCDHerb; 07-29-2022 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:25 AM

Herb Jaguar made LHD cars for the entire world. The introduction in the header is for everywhere except the US (ROW). The US introduction of the open lights was at 1E14532 and others listed. The last page are the exceptions. Perhaps if you share your car number we can clear it u for you. You have to read the entire document. You are welcome to call the JCNA tech line if you don't wish to publish it. Best wishes!

Old 07-30-2022, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,803 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Coventry Foundation
Herb Jaguar made LHD cars for the entire world. The introduction in the header is for everywhere except the US (ROW). The US introduction of the open lights was at 1E14532 and others listed.
Does this correspond to roughly July 1967? That's what I've had in my head for years...but I'm light years away from being an XKE authority.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-30-2022, 07:53 AM

Great question Doug. Not sure anyone has asked that before. We will check and get back.

Old 07-30-2022, 01:59 PM

Doug this was such an interesting question we checked our sources. You were correct for the ROW cars. All changed over in either June or July depending on the line for the 3 models and whether they were LHD or RHD. Still very close dates to that. However the US models all Changed in January of 67 all within a few days. What may remain a mystery is why there were exceptions as listed. Most likely it was a supply issue as there was no Federal compliance issue until Nov. for the 68 cars. Anyway you are batting 500 so hall of fame here you come.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:31 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

So, you have part of your answer. Your car did not originally have covered headlights. Neither did mine. I’ve attached a picture of Chuck’s kit during installation.

Unless you are building a car for show in the seniors division, you should really just do whatever YOU want. Covered headlights might not be original, but they are iconic. I’m targeting driving and showing in the S2MOD class and have made quite a few changes. Some visible (like the headlights, a ClassicFabs long header exhaust, an oil accumulator, etc.), Others not (like a lightened flywheel, 30/60 ramp blocks in the differential, etc).

I also have a 61 (registered in 62) flat floor OTS which, if I ever get around to restoring, will be treated differently, used differently, and with which I’ll have a very different relationship.

Headlight conversion

The following users liked this post:
SeansJagAdventure (08-02-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 08:07 PM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

OCDHerb,
The changeover for the headlights (Covered Vs. Open) was January 11, 1967 for US cars. I doin't know if January 11Th was the last day of the covered head lights, or the first day of the open. If you like it covered, cover it. As far as value is concerned, cars on BAT that head the headlight conversion done were very well received, and it did not hurt the value. Concourse judging is a different situation. Good luck with your choice.
Bill.

Old 08-01-2022, 04:12 AM

Daytona January is certainly correct however the 3 lines did not all change on the same date and don't forget the 'exceptions' which came in batches. Agree with your comments re: BAT but what would they have brought if correct......more or less?

Old 08-01-2022, 06:41 AM

Coventry, with reference to BAT prices for open headlight cars Vs. cars with the headlight conversion; I think if you do a search on BAT you will find that the cars with the conversion bring more money. Also take a look at the prices for the 1968 series 1 cars. It is essentially the same car as the 67 and it brings considerably less money than a comparable condition 67. In general the 1967 E-Type is perceived as having covered headlights and that is what people expect to see. Such is the case that there are many E-Type owners still today, surprised to hear that late 1967 E-Types came from factory with open headlights. I have a late 67 OTS with open headlights. I would prefer to cover them. But I just don't want to go through the trouble at this point, while restoring a 68FHC.
I remember reading in a book that commented that; exceptions aside, the headlight change occurred on January 11th, 1967. In any case, in January of that year. So, it is safe to say that all US cars built in February 1967 and later had open headlight. All one has to do is get a heritage certificate with the date of manufacture to find out if their car should have covered lights or not.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:55 AM
Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Daytona the US 1968 car is very different to the 67 car so that sort of comparison does not seem to be apples to apples. Gone were the 3 carbs and rocker switches on the facia as opposed to the toggles. Wings are gone on the spinners and so on. It would seem the only real comparison would be equally conditioned cars of the same year one with the conversion one without. The ROW cars for 1968 were built to 1967 specs which is often a point of confusion. The true 1968 US car is often referred to as a 1.5 which brought on the 1.25 monikers for 67 open lamp cars, which I personally do not agree with as they are another point of confusion. For those reading this please know the heritage certificate will not tell you if it is an open bonnet or not. Your chassis number compared to the bulletin posted before is the only way to determine that.
As stated above the JCNA judging guides use factory documents but there are 3 judging guides for the 1961-1971 6cyl e types. Series one 1961-1967/ 1968 only E type/ and the series two E car 1969-1971.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:15 AM

George,
As I mentioned in my previous post, "Exceptions aside" if your US market E-type was built on February 1967 or later, your car left the factory with open headlights. The date of Manufacture is at the top of the heritage certificate. If one believes their car may be one of the exception, then more research is required and fully respect and support anyone's effort to accurately determine the stock version of their E-Type. The original poster asked the question if to cover or not to cover an open headlight E-Type. His concern was about originality and value. So, no, the car will not be original (But can be brought back if necessary. Value??? in my opinion (Based on BAT auction results) it will not hurt the value and in fact, it may help bring more money at auction.
I mentioned the 1968 E-Type because it is a series 1, and it shares the same body with blinkers above the bumpers, but with the very noticeable difference of the open headlights. But notice also that I mentioned both 1967 with open and covered headlights. Cars with covered headlights get a lot more attention on BAT, regardless if they are original or not. This last comment directed at the OP original question about value.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:27 AM
Default Food for thought

Even though it got off to a slow start, I had a feeling this post would garner some discussion. Thanks to all that have provided the documentation to settle this once and for all. What I have learned is that my car with open headlights is authentic but potentially less valuable than if I convert it to closed headlights. Even though I'm not building it to sell, the decision will be tough. I'll probably stick with authenticity but I'm sure I will change my mind 5 or 6 times in the coming months.

My car is already a bit of a unicorn because it is cream with red interior. That combination was technically not offered in '67 but is backed up by my heritage certificate. I just wish people would stop calling it a 1.5. I like the JCNA Chief Judge's description: A series 1 with open headlamps.

Thanks all,
OCDHerb

Quick Reply: To Close or not to close