F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catalyst efficiency system

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 01:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default catalyst efficiency system

Hi guys, I have an 2015 F-type V6S with about 40k miles on it. My check engine light came on so I took it to the dealership for service. They sent me a text message stating "Bank 1 catalyst efficiency system due for renew" with a quoted cost of $3701.22 + $50 shop supplies + 10% tax on parts $298.12 for $4049.34 total. Would like an opinion of whether they are trying to rip me off.

I did a google search for "jaguar f-type bank 1 catalyst efficiency system renew cost" and got "The average cost for a Jaguar F-Type Catalytic Converter Replacement is between $2,586 and $2,623. Labor costs are estimated between $145 and $183 while parts are typically priced around $2,441. This range does not include taxes and fees, and does not factor in your unique location."

I did a google search for "f-type catalytic converter lifespan" and got "How often do catalytic converters need to be replaced? If the engine is running properly, the catalytic converter should last
the life of the vehicle." So, it calls into question what do they mean by "due for renew" since there is no timeline for replacement.

Could anyone please provide some advice? I am inquiring with another dealership about the cost to replace the catalytic converter, assuming this is the problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Old 05-02-2024, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 235 Posts

Unfortunately it looks like you just fall outside of the federally mandated 8-year warranty period.
Can't comment about cost but if the cat really needs replacing, it is more than likely you will soon need the other one replaced as well.
I suspect that the F-Type unburned gas, exhaust note, pops and bangs might shorten the cat life .
They come as a matched pair and have both seen the same engine exhaust conditions.
It might be worth looking for an after market unit or even a used cat from a low mileage wrecked car.

The following users liked this post:
myshao (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 03:18 PM
Received 359 Likes on 243 Posts

Was your check engine light on? If so did the dealer tell you what codes were stored? If not go to a car parts store like advance auto and ask them to read the codes and tell you what they are. Then report back here. It might be a bad O2 sensor.

myshao (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 04:44 PM

Thank you both! Yes, my check engine light was on. The dealer said the code was P0420 which is corresponds to "The P0420 code signals a low catalyst system efficiency. This code suggests that the oxygen levels are below the desired threshold (Bank 1), which most often results from problems with your car's exhaust or fuel systems." The technician said he performed an air leak test and noted a "leak at the beginning of the flange section indicating internal failure" and that the catalytic converter would have to be replaced as well as the O2 sensor downstream at the mid section. Does that make sense?

I also search for the relevant OEM part - the driver's side catalytic converter part# T2R16567 and it appears to be only
$1,681.78.
2014-2016 Jaguar F-Type Converter & Pipe T2R16567 | OEM Parts Online

The first dealership quoted me $4049 all in. The second dealership quoted me $2500+tax and 3 hours labor at $840.

I am thinking I should order the OEM part online and ship it to them to install. What do you guys think?

Old 05-02-2024, 05:28 PM
Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I think you should consider ordering the parts from one of the several Jag dealers who discount parts online (Harper Jag, etc.), have it shipped to yourself and then have an Indy in your area install it all for for probably well under $700.00.

Last edited by PaulBarrrera; 05-02-2024 at 05:31 PM.
myshao (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 06:38 PM

If it were me before buying a new cat I would go to an indy mechanic and ask them to read the trouble codes being thrown as a result of the check engine light. If they find additional trouble codes that correspond to Bank 1 (O2) Sensor 2 or Bank 1 (O2) Sensor 3 the cause of the P0420 code could be a faulty O2 sensor. An indy mechanic should be able to use a scan tool to also look at live PID data to see if the O2 sensors are operating properly are faulty. If there is a problem it could be a corroded or loose O2 sensor connector too.

Finally I would have the indy mechanic check if there is indeed an air leak at a flange in the exhaust system. If there is it could be as simple as replacing a gasket or tightening some bolts. Maybe even welding up a small crack.

If all of the above are ok then you probable really do need a new cat.

myshao (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 07:53 AM
Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Another option would be to get the VAP cats.

gearFX (05-07-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Craaaazzy
Another option would be to get the VAP cats.
Thanks everyone for the advice! I will look into an indy mechanic and shipping the OEM parts.

@Craaaazzy is this the VAP cat you are talking about:
Jaguar F-Type 200 Cell Sport Catalyst and Downpipe - Velocity Automotive Performance (velocityap.com)

It actually seems less expensive than the OEM cat? Is that right? But I would need to replace both driver's side and passenger side at the same time, correct?

Old 05-03-2024, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

I would consider replacing both at the same time anyway.
If one is bad the other is almost certainly also on its way out.
Expensive but still less costly overall to do it all one time.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:54 PM
Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by myshao
Thanks everyone for the advice! I will look into an indy mechanic and shipping the OEM parts.

Jaguar F-Type 200 Cell Sport Catalyst and Downpipe - Velocity Automotive Performance (velocityap.com)

It actually seems less expensive than the OEM cat? Is that right? But I would need to replace both driver's side and passenger side at the same time, correct?
correct. yes, they are cheaper than a single OEM one but you'll pay a bit more for installation of course. but then you know both are replaced. I would get OEM if you want to keep stock sound as these I believe would increase the volume and change the sound a bit.

Old 05-03-2024, 04:02 PM
Received 151 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, you would require the downpipe set and also a software tune to avoid the MIL from flagging P0420 and P0430. Nonetheless, our tune and 200cell downpipes would still come in at half the cost of the total price you quoted from dealer.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 05-03-2024, 04:44 PM

I was told I need the following parts:

T2H48051
SENSOR-OXYGEN
1 pcs
$ 569.42

JDE32544
CLAMP-EXHAUST
1 pcs
$ 82.63

XR836503
STUD-MANIFOLD
2 pcs
$ 19.38
In Stock
$ 38.76

XR82889
NUT
2 pcs
$ 13.62
In Stock
$ 27.24

T2R16566
CATALT&DNPPE-EXH
1 pcs
$ 2,213.17

If I get an aftermarket cat, would I also need the oxygen sensor and other parts for the other side, in other words, would I need it for both sides?

Old 05-03-2024, 06:08 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Note that Jaguar extended the warranty on O2 sensors for your car to 15 years (10 years for the V8.)
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/z4k4i...p6tqui13m&dl=0

The following 3 users liked this post by DJS:
Carbuff2 (05-04-2024), myshao (05-03-2024), PaulBarrrera (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 06:18 PM
Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Have the dealer R&R the oxygen sensor under the warranty and nothing else. Then have somebody else (Indy) re-test and see if that was the true culprit. $82.63 for an exhaust clamp + labor? Run away from that thief!

myshao (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 10:04 PM

Wow - you guys are awesome! Thank you for the great tips @DJS @PaulBarrrera

I'll get the O2 sensor taken care of under warranty and get it looked at by an Indy shop.

Interesting that the dealership did not let me know the O2 sensor is under warranty. Is it like a hassle for them to be reimbursed from the company?

Old 05-04-2024, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by PaulBarrrera
Have the dealer R&R the oxygen sensor under the warranty and nothing else. Then have somebody else (Indy) re-test and see if that was the true culprit. $82.63 for an exhaust clamp + labor? Run away from that thief!
Good advice. BTW there are many places this sensor can be purchased for between $100 and $150.

Old 05-05-2024, 09:42 AM

Another question, if I get the VAP cats, will I still be able to pass the emissions tests in Illinois? Also, for the required ECU tune - is this something that I do myself:

VelocityAP V-Tech ECU Programming Tool Instructions - Velocity Automotive Performance

Per that link: "**BEFORE DEALER/SERVICE VISIT: We strongly recommend flashing the original file back to the car prior to a dealer visit. Some dealer software updates can cause the tune to be wiped from the computer, and if this happens when the last operation was to flash a MOD file, the programmer is now useless."

That kind of seems like a pain to do every time I go to the dealer for servicing no?

Old 05-05-2024, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

So, would any after market cat cause the problem??
Magma seems to offer replacement for the F-Type for about $1250 each.
https://www.magnaflow.com/collection...tic-converters

Old 05-05-2024, 03:26 PM
Received 144 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Re: SuperSprint HJS Sport Cats ........

Hello Everyone.....
just pointing out the fact that several message board members have purchased our exhaust system which includes our 100 cell sport cats as part of a "full exhaust system '. All have reported in their posts/threads, the SuperSprint cats DO NOT trigger the engine's check engine light CEL. Last, all SuperSprint exhaust system products are, premium exhaust product.
Cheers.
Roberto
robert.c@supersprint.com

Old 05-05-2024, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,152 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Another question, if I get the VAP cats, will I still be able to pass the emissions tests in Illinois? Also, for the required ECU tune - is this something that I do myself:

VelocityAP V-Tech ECU Programming Tool Instructions - Velocity Automotive Performance

Per that link: "**BEFORE DEALER/SERVICE VISIT: We strongly recommend flashing the original file back to the car prior to a dealer visit. Some dealer software updates can cause the tune to be wiped from the computer, and if this happens when the last operation was to flash a MOD file, the programmer is now useless."

That kind of seems like a pain to do every time I go to the dealer for servicing no?
Yep, it really is something you should do before taking it in to a JLR dealership.
No matter what you are taking it in for, you never know if or when the dealership will decide to apply some update, and even if you tell them clearly and specifically NOT to apply any update(s) they often ignore or forget about your instructions. Plenty of horror stories about this around here.
Yes, you do it yourself - follow the instructions on the linked web page that is.
It might appear to be tedious and long-winded but I have done it two or three times now and it's not that hard, and if a clumsy clutz like me can do it anyone can!

Quick Reply: catalyst efficiency system