E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Engine conversion

Old 03-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine conversion

Just bought a 1974 XKE Roadster that had the original V12 removed and a conversion to a chevy engine started. What is the best chevy engine to complete this conversion with a manual transmission?

Old 03-11-2018, 10:53 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts

Good luck with the manual (mine is an automatic). Went with a 327, iron block, but likely would have preferred an aluminum block engine for weight.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 1munro1
Just bought a 1974 XKE Roadster that had the original V12 removed and a conversion to a chevy engine started. What is the best chevy engine to complete this conversion with a manual transmission?
Definitely get a GM LS V8 aluminum block. Then from there it depends on your budget. I had a great find with an aluminum block LS1 truck engine with about 400+HP with 4l60 trans for less than $6K but if you have money it would be great to get a MAST Performance LS create engine. These engines are so reliable as they will keep running easily to 200K and often to 300K+. A great trans for this is by 4l60e 700r4 4l80e performance gm transmission performabuilt
Get the level 3 and that will be bullet proof!

Attached Thumbnails Engine conversion-img_3364.jpg   Engine conversion-p1010579.jpg  
Old 03-12-2018, 09:00 PM

Agree with the LS, huge advantage with regard to intake clearance if you get something like an LS3. Mated transmissions are better too. Issue will be electronics. Try Jaguar Specialties: Jaguar V8 Kit

Old 03-13-2018, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enderle
Agree with the LS, huge advantage with regard to intake clearance if you get something like an LS3. Mated transmissions are better too. Issue will be electronics. Try Jaguar Specialties: Jaguar V8 Kit
Yes, Andrew with Jaguar Specialties can help with conversion parts, etc. Actually the electronics are the advantage not the disadvantage. There are many good tuners that can custom tune any LS engine to match the specifics of your car, such as rear end ratio, etc. to match your desires. Having a computer controlled V8 does need that one time setup with a tuner but afterwards then it far more reliable, able to start with one turn of the key 100% of the time, no worries of a choke, no need to adjust the induction like a carburetor, none of the wear parts like points, distributor, no need to adjust valves, etc. It is far more reliable and easy to care for than any old carburetor engine.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:30 AM
Default XKE

I checked out the website and spoke with Andrew. They do not offer anything for the XKE.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1munro1
I checked out the website and spoke with Andrew. They do not offer anything for the XKE.
Don't let that stop you as my 3.8s was done without a kit. The good thing is that GM LS engines are so popular that the many universal engine mount kits will likely give you what you need to make it work. You may need to get a local auto shop that is good at welding to do the engine mount but then you can go from there.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:26 AM

My fault, John's cars has the kit for the XKE. Mostly engine mounts etc. Jaguar Conversions from John's Cars Also you can get aftermarket fuel injection for older engines. I'm using a Holley Sniper with matched gauges (you need an adaptor for the speedo and tach though as the Holley's are 1/2" too small). Engine auto tunes, its pretty cool (I also went with the matching electronic distributor), car starts like a dream. I should have updated pictures in my thread shortly.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

My fault, John's cars has the kit for the XKE. Mostly engine mounts etc. Jaguar Conversions from John's Cars Also you can get aftermarket fuel injection for older engines. I'm using a Holley Sniper with matched gauges (you need an adaptor for the speedo and tach though as the Holley's are 1/2" too small). Engine auto tunes, its pretty cool (I also went with the matching electronic distributor), car starts like a dream. I should have updated pictures in my thread shortly.
If you can afford it, I would still recommend a modern LS V8 as then you eliminate distributor and everything including trans is all working together as a team computer controlled and super reliable and trouble free with more HP and better MPG. I was amazed yesterday when I checked how many miles I have driven in less than 3 years, I have driven over 80,000 miles! on my LS1 rain or shine as a daily driven work car and all I do is put gas and change the oil, no need to fuss with distributor, valves, etc. The LS V8 engine family will easily last around 250,000 to 300,000 miles.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:57 PM

I agree, if I hadn't started out trying to make the 327 work I would have gone LS, in the end it likely wouldn't have been that much more expensive and the engine fits better (I'm having major clearance problems which will require I modify the bonnet). The only issue with the LS is that it isn't a pretty engine. But, by the time I realized the 327 wasn't ideal I'd already sunk a ton into it. Still with the Holley EFI, heads, and intake I'm getting an estimated 450HP which is god awful scary in an E-Type.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

I agree, if I hadn't started out trying to make the 327 work I would have gone LS, in the end it likely wouldn't have been that much more expensive and the engine fits better (I'm having major clearance problems which will require I modify the bonnet). The only issue with the LS is that it isn't a pretty engine. But, by the time I realized the 327 wasn't ideal I'd already sunk a ton into it. Still with the Holley EFI, heads, and intake I'm getting an estimated 450HP which is god awful scary in an E-Type.
The LS does have dress up kits with things like polished valve covers, billet coil pack mounting brackets, etc. I took the stock Vortex cover, glassed it over, and painted it then put the Jaguar emblem on it. I was thinking of doing some of the other stuff but this is a daily driver so it was not high on priority. I did coat the headers blue for heat and used a billet serpentine pulley not for looks but due to the tight space in order to run AC. The LS will get 400-500 with just minor tweaks without going to a built engine and if you just change intake, you can easily get over 500+ with really a stock engine. The beauty is they are so trouble free and zero maintenance. I am already at 80,000 miles in less than 3 years!

Attached Thumbnails Engine conversion-img_1330.jpg  
Old 03-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

you should have named the post 'how to halve the value of a E type', engine swap to a chevy? what are you thinking???????
Its your money but talk about sacrilege, that has to rate among the worst offenders. Whats your next project, a chevy into a model T Ford?

Old 03-18-2018, 12:46 PM

Once a conversion is started, particularly a Chevy conversion, going back to a Jaguar engine is wicked expensive. The poster bought a car with a Chevy engine conversion started and it is simply much cheaper to finish it. The V12 is kind of a pill of an engine anyway, it was supposed to be injected (and eventually was in the XJS) but in the E it used 4 Stromberg carburetors and it is nasty to keep running, lacks power particularly at the low end, and isn't very attractive (thanks to the smog plumbing), oh and it is wicked expensive to buy or repair. A modern V8, particularly the LS as noted above, is a dream in comparison and if you want to drive the car distance is a far better choice. My own car had the 327 already in it when I bought it, but, were I to do it over, I'd have either swapped it for a Ford engine or an LS. I'd just thought it far easier and cheaper to fix the 327 not realizing that the engine was beyond saving until too far along in the process.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:12 PM

To re-convert it back will increase the cars value way beyond the cost. What has been done is like painting a piece of Chippendale furniture, there should be a law against it

Old 03-18-2018, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Once a conversion is started, particularly a Chevy conversion, going back to a Jaguar engine is wicked expensive. The poster bought a car with a Chevy engine conversion started and it is simply much cheaper to finish it. The V12 is kind of a pill of an engine anyway, it was supposed to be injected (and eventually was in the XJS) but in the E it used 4 Stromberg carburetors and it is nasty to keep running, lacks power particularly at the low end, and isn't very attractive (thanks to the smog plumbing), oh and it is wicked expensive to buy or repair. A modern V8, particularly the LS as noted above, is a dream in comparison and if you want to drive the car distance is a far better choice. My own car had the 327 already in it when I bought it, but, were I to do it over, I'd have either swapped it for a Ford engine or an LS. I'd just thought it far easier and cheaper to fix the 327 not realizing that the engine was beyond saving until too far along in the process.

You are right. The reality is a 1974 is not commanding the big money the 1960's will command as you can buy them for $20-50K and only when they are concourse level to they go for more. If you convert it I doubt you would make any money on it. Thus if he wants to just drive a reliable XKE since it is already set with a Chevy then the LS Chevy would be easy and provide 400-500 HP and drive all day long to 300,000 miles trouble free and would only cost around $5-7K. To each his own. For me my 1963 3.8s was built to be a daily driver so the LS1 is perfect as I have put 80,000 miles in less than 3 years trouble free.

The really early Jag convertibles I would agree would be valued more stock but this is not an early one and then when you have that stock classic they are more collector cars that you cannot drive both reliably, nor as comfortably and if you drive them too much their value goes down. Thus it all depends on whom owns it and what they want. That is why the younger generation wants more restomod classics as they want the luxury, reliability, power of a new car with the looks of a classic and at Barret Jackson auctions the dollars are moving more on that trend with quality restomods commanding more than stock in many cases.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by primaz
You are right. The reality is a 1974 is not commanding the big money the 1960's will command as you can buy them for $20-50K and only when they are concourse level to they go for more. If you convert it I doubt you would make any money on it. Thus if he wants to just drive a reliable XKE since it is already set with a Chevy then the LS Chevy would be easy and provide 400-500 HP and drive all day long to 300,000 miles trouble free and would only cost around $5-7K. To each his own. For me my 1963 3.8s was built to be a daily driver so the LS1 is perfect as I have put 80,000 miles in less than 3 years trouble free.

The really early Jag convertibles I would agree would be valued more stock but this is not an early one and then when you have that stock classic they are more collector cars that you cannot drive both reliably, nor as comfortably and if you drive them too much their value goes down. Thus it all depends on whom owns it and what they want. That is why the younger generation wants more restomod classics as they want the luxury, reliability, power of a new car with the looks of a classic and at Barret Jackson auctions the dollars are moving more on that trend with quality restomods commanding more than stock in many cases.
Funny, a 74 shell is around £30000 in the uk with restored cars to £125k+. You cant tell me that there isnt some serious money to be made by returning it back to its former glory. As for comfort and reliability , since when have they ever been a factor with classic cars, breaking down is just par for the course. If you want reliability buy a new toyota

Old 03-19-2018, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by phanc60844
Funny, a 74 shell is around £30000 in the uk with restored cars to £125k+. You cant tell me that there isnt some serious money to be made by returning it back to its former glory. As for comfort and reliability , since when have they ever been a factor with classic cars, breaking down is just par for the course. If you want reliability buy a new toyota

Maybe in the UK but it is not too hard to find cars like this for 1974 Jaguar XKE for sale right now for $26K

or this for $32,500

The Jaguars that command big money are all 1960's and then the more limited models. To each his own. I know many Jag purest hate to see a restomod but the reality is not everyone wants a stock car. This person has a V8 Jag and just wants an replacement V8 for not a lot of money. I stock Jaguar is not the most reliable car so for some whom will drive it many miles they would rather have a more powerful, lighter, more reliable V8.

If his car was a 1960's that would be a different story and primarily if the car did not need anything but an engine swap then it might be worth going back to the V12 if he did not want to daily drive it but rather sell it. In the US the car really needs to be one of the years that will command in the upper 100's to be worth that endevour as those cars that command that price are concourse level and the cost to restore to that level can easily be $60-$90K+ not including the cost of the car so unless it will sell for over $150K you will not make any real money. People own the cars they want and modify them they way they want for their personal enjoyment. If you want an investment cars are not the best place to put your cash. My classic restomod 3.8s has full electric seats all leather with headrests & picnic tables, AC, power steering, blue tooth, WIFI, back up camera, tire pressure monitoring, custom stereo with subs, does 0-60 in 3.95 seconds, gets 20 MPG, is comfortable, quiet, smooth ride, and does not break down; I have put over 80,000 miles without any issues can your classic do all that?

Last edited by primaz; 03-19-2018 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:00 AM

the simple solution is to stick it in a container for £1500-£2000 and ship it over , its not difficult. sorry but you will never convince me that defacing a work of art like the e type with a chevy engine is ever going to be justified.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:41 PM
Default Convince you?

the simple solution is to stick it in a container for £1500-£2000 and ship it over , its not difficult. sorry but you will never convince me that defacing a work of art like the e type with a chevy engine is ever going to be justified.
Wow, a tad too much ego. I get you wouldn't do this but I also get you have no idea what you are talking about. A new V12 engine and transmission rebuilt is between $15K and $30K depending on whether it is dressed or not and you'd still have to pay to have the front rails fixed and whatever was done to get the Chevy out and the Jaguar engine back in. Rough guess that would be another $15K to $20K. You'd end up with car that wasn't numbers matching and have something like $70K in a car that would still need the rest of a restoration. So he could either drop in a Chevy motor (you can buy a new block for as little as $1,600) and finish the installation, or drop $30K to $40K in the car end up with something that sells for less than that here and it still wouldn't be a good driver. Assuming he bought the car cheap (I'm guessing under $20K for a non-running shell). For the same out of pocket as one of the cars above he could end up with a far better driver dropping in a V8. Full restorations which result in the cars that sell over $100K are typically Series 1 cars, cost upwards of $150K to do, and take a year or more. And, after all of that, you'll not only lose money you won't want to actually drive the car (you may trailer it to shows). In my own case I wanted something that performed like an Eagle but cost way less than the $500K a new Eagle costs.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:43 PM
Default No thanks for the advice!

you should have named the post 'how to halve the value of a E type', engine swap to a chevy? what are you thinking???????
Its your money but talk about sacrilege, that has to rate among the worst offenders. Whats your next project, a chevy into a model T Ford?
I am new to this forum but familiar with the XKE and their fanatic followers that believe they know what is best for all cars and their owners. The V12 is LONG GONE from this car. If I had it, I would restore the car to original.
To put a different V12 engine that did not match this car would be moronic. A $50000 investment that might return $30000. The frame was not altered and could accept a V12 if anyone was that ambitious. The car needs alot of work
to the interior and the engine. The body and frame are in excellent condition. Seats are in very good condition. It has a vinyl covered hard top that is also in excellent condition. I love the car and plan to enjoy driving it for a very long time! Thank you for the common sense and support Enderle! As for the Chippendale, if I choose to paint it, that is EXACTLY what I will do!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine conversion