E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Engine conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 1munro1
I am new to this forum but familiar with the XKE and their fanatic followers that believe they know what is best for all cars and their owners. The V12 is LONG GONE from this car. If I had it, I would restore the car to original.
To put a different V12 engine that did not match this car would be moronic. A $50000 investment that might return $30000. The frame was not altered and could accept a V12 if anyone was that ambitious. The car needs alot of work
to the interior and the engine. The body and frame are in excellent condition. Seats are in very good condition. It has a vinyl covered hard top that is also in excellent condition. I love the car and plan to enjoy driving it for a very long time! Thank you for the common sense and support Enderle! As for the Chippendale, if I choose to paint it, that is EXACTLY what I will do!

Thumbs up! Please do not assume this guy is the norm. Jaguar forums is one of the better online communities around. The reality is this is your car not there car and you do what you want to make you happy that is the American way!

Enderle was spot on,
"Wow, a tad too much ego. I get you wouldn't do this but I also get you have no idea what you are talking about. A new V12 engine and transmission rebuilt is between $15K and $30K depending on whether it is dressed or not and you'd still have to pay to have the front rails fixed and whatever was done to get the Chevy out and the Jaguar engine back in. Rough guess that would be another $15K to $20K. You'd end up with car that wasn't numbers matching and have something like $70K in a car that would still need the rest of a restoration. So he could either drop in a Chevy motor (you can buy a new block for as little as $1,600) and finish the installation, or drop $30K to $40K in the car end up with something that sells for less than that here and it still wouldn't be a good driver. Assuming he bought the car cheap (I'm guessing under $20K for a non-running shell). For the same out of pocket as one of the cars above he could end up with a far better driver dropping in a V8. Full restorations which result in the cars that sell over $100K are typically Series 1 cars, cost upwards of $150K to do, and take a year or more. And, after all of that, you'll not only lose money you won't want to actually drive the car (you may trailer it to shows). "

Phanc60844, clearly you are not listening to the person whom created this post.

The reality is that in the US my Jag out performs any other 3.8s in every category, is more reliable, and guess what in the US my restomod 3.8s has already had several offers way above what I have into it and that amount drawfs what any 3.8s stock Jag has ever sold for.

Last edited by GGG; 03-20-2018 at 03:37 AM. Reason: See my PM
The following users liked this post:
skid (06-27-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 03:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

The OP titled thread is Engine Conversion looking for advice and information on the the practicalities of carrying this out and not to indulge in a debate on originality or potential value.

The thread has degenerated into an increasingly acrimonious argument between the polar opposites of originality versus practicality which is totally off the point. A diversion like this is not in itself unacceptable but I will make three observations:

1. the same ground has been covered many times in other threads
2. the OP has posted again in #21 to explain the decision to go with an alternative engine
3. it's 1munro1's car and an owner can do what they choose.

THE PERSONAL INSULTS STOP AND THE THREAD GETS BACK ON TRACK NOW.

Graham

Old 03-20-2018, 10:22 AM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing the final pictures of your Series III E. On the repaint I'm thinking of a dark color shifting paint for mine (blue/purple) it isn't a cheap date but think it would look stunning. On another note have often thought of doing a 3.8 restomod myself particularly after seeing the one Jaguar itself did for Ian McCallum. Far more practical than our E's and it is also a stunning design. I drool every time I see that car: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...an-Callum.html I'd be really tempted to put an LSA engine in it. That'll have to wait for a while, an iPace is the next on my radar, more and more impressed with that car the closer it comes to my delivery date.

Last edited by enderle; 03-20-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 XKE Pic

Here is the car as it sits today. I am slowly inspecting and repairing the car. The fuel system is pretty bad after sitting for 20 years. Pulled the fuel tank to clean it and found a rust hole in one side. The sending unit is shot. Changed the fuel filter. Brake lines are good. I am about to test the pump. I rebuilt the brake master cylinder. Next I will pull the calipers and rebuild them. Then the servo. The heater box is in fair shape with one rust hole. Fan and motor are in surprisingly good shape. I want to document the process as it progresses. Hopefully others are interested even if it has a Chevy small block in it. The previous owner did a great job on the conversion but did not complete it. Thus the question on what is the best course of action. I don't know the condition of the engine. I have a Chevy expert taking a look at it in the next few weeks. I will post some interior pictures soon.

Attached Thumbnails Engine conversion-20180314_182502.jpg  
Old 03-21-2018, 10:14 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Best of luck with whatever direction you go.

I’m certainly no expert on conversions, but I would lean towards the LS option. Reason I say that is I think it’s the road more travelled, and I suspect you will find more support and options going down that way. Thus making it an easier process.

Really interested in how the Chevy transmission fits vs the LS. I’ve seen a few conversions and the gear selector (manual or auto) always seems very out of place vs the oem configuration.

Best!

Old 03-22-2018, 08:02 AM

On mine it is cable connected so placement wasn't a problem, newer transmissions are electronic, and you can get after market electronic conversions for older transmissions also allowing more flexible placement.

dsd (03-22-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enderle
On mine it is cable connected so placement wasn't a problem, newer transmissions are electronic, and you can get after market electronic conversions for older transmissions also allowing more flexible placement.
The LS standard transmissions are available in auto and manual; a good source for a performance version those transmissions are 4l60e 700r4 4l65e 4l70e performance transmission performabuilt

I kept my 3.8s to look stock as far as shifter and gauges. It take some fiddling to get the linkage to mate up well but I shift the car with factory auto shifter. I used Dakota Digital to convert the digital back to the analog gauges. This is where an LS or Ford V8 has the advantage; the reason is that those are the only brands I found that make a device that converts it back to a manual cable input (with the Chevy/Ford connection) for factory gauges.

FYI, the Callum MKII restomod car actually is done on a limited production run of 10 with a cost of approximately $375,000 USD. When a restomod is done well with all of the things new cars have and go away from old technology they will sell for big money. I have had several offers for my car all over $70K. People want a powerful reliable car so engines like the LS where they are all computer controlled fuel injection, etc. where you just turn the key with no worries of a choke, points, distributor, etc.

Doug on the MKII/3.8s forum here on jaguarforums did his MKII with the Jaguar XKR V8 but that was way more complicated and costly. Thus if you want to have all drivetrain Jaguar it is possible but way more involved, costly and at the end of the day those engines are not powerful compared to an LS. The XKR is not that powerful as they only put out 300-350HP versus and LS will easily be 400-500HP and if you have money the HP can go to 700-1000 and be streetable.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:00 PM

I wouldn't do the XKR engine, I have one. Actually a bit over 400 HP but getting the power out is tough and that damn ECU is a total pain in the butt. You'd have to use the XKR gauges, brakes, and rear end as well. I've seen a couple folks take a Series III convert and blend it with an XKR (outside XKE inside XKR). They come up for sale for around $100K from time to time but the LS conversion (which a number of folks have done to earlier XK8s) is both a ton better and a ton cheaper. I didn't pick up that you could buy the Jaguar MKII restomod. But I can't justify over $200K for a car. There was a nice Series I with an LS that went for around $70K at auction, just missed it... (still kicking myself) I'll bet he had $150K or so in it, really nicely done. (link below).

Here are some interesting examples:

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-b...eed-1674992718

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...ERTIBLE-188507

Last edited by enderle; 03-23-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:07 PM

By the way, here is a great site for V8 conversions, the Hemi into an XKE one is pretty fascinating. British Sports Car Photo Gallery: Engine Swaps, V8 Conversions, Performance Mods

Old 03-28-2018, 04:59 PM

Here is a really interesting '61 with a Chevy in it. Like what they did with the bonnet and the wheel well treatment doesn't look bad and it solves the thin tire problem. It sold for really decent money: An incredible 1962 Jaguar E-Type, SOLD by Californiaclassix.com!

Old 03-29-2018, 01:49 PM

OK just found another Chevy swap, I thought these were rarer than this. This one is topless in a track configuration. Strange hood scoop, not sure why it is there. Other than that a wicked expensive build: https://rfsportscars.com/1971-jaguar...ster-c-315.htm

skid (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 04:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with both of you guys, not phanc60844. A purist always bash the guy who wants to be different. If purists want every car to remain stock, buy them all, and make them all stock. And so what if the value isn't as good. It's not your money, it's his. If all cars were left stock there would be no hotrods, no customs, no Barris, no Foose, no Kindig, etc. And at every car show, every car would be the same. One word for that.....BORING. There are plenty of 6-figure all original cars to go around if that's what you want. And though everyone has their opinion, I like the modified cars because it allows you to get creative with a piece of machinery.

And yes, I too have a E-type conversion I am just starting. I wanted to build a Camaro, but let's face it, here in the US, they are a dime a dozen. I wanted to be different. What was my second choice? An E-type. I found one that had already been butchered, and instead of spending a fortune to make it stock, I'm spending half a fortune to make it bitchen. I guarantee you when it's done (if I live long enough!), the purists may not like it, but they will appreciate it.

enderle (03-13-2021)
Old 06-15-2018, 04:45 PM

Sorry, I missed the Supermod's post asking to stay on topic. I can't figure out how to delete my above post?

Old 11-17-2023, 10:06 AM
Default FORD or CHEVy

I am researching using an AL block Chevy LS 350 V-8 and a 4L60E auto transmission as a swap for my leaking Jag motor and auto trans. I came across a post that warned me to steer clear of GM engines because they will not fit. The author advocated for a Ford, e.g., a Coyote.

Please share your thoughts.

R/S
Doc

Old 11-18-2023, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mglamarmd
I am researching using an AL block Chevy LS 350 V-8 and a 4L60E auto transmission as a swap for my leaking Jag motor and auto trans. I came across a post that warned me to steer clear of GM engines because they will not fit. The author advocated for a Ford, e.g., a Coyote.

R/S
Doc
That is BS. The GM LS engines are much more prevalent and thus have so many more swap related parts that will avoid the need of custom fabricated parts, etc. LS engines are the way to go...

Old 11-19-2023, 02:34 AM

R/S
Doc
If your car is a S1 or S2, a SBC, an LS, or a Coyote, will not fit between the frame rails without some serious modifications. Some people just cut the top tube to get them to fit. But that's a very unsafe way to go. When the author advocated for a Ford, I'm sure he meant a SBF ie: 260, 289, 302

Old 11-19-2023, 02:37 AM

primaz, you are right, an LS is the way to go. But they won't fit in a S1 or S2 E-type without modifying the subframes.

Old 11-19-2023, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by skid
primaz, you are right, an LS is the way to go. But they won't fit in a S1 or S2 E-type without modifying the subframes.
I did not realize the 6 cylinder e-types had limited kits, I know the V12 E types can take an LS. I have seen very skilled folks make custom frames at this site, there have been a number of them that were S1 and S2 converted to LS3
BritishV8 Forum: E type + LS3
BritishV8 Forum: Ken Hiebert's 1965 Jaguar E-Type with GM LS1 V8, "Part 8”
The people on that forum are very helpful which is not the case on most other Jag sites for engine swaps or mods. That is the biggest problem as Jag owners are more purists and really make it harder by shutting out and only giving negative comments on anything non stock. My car was not easy for the same reasons of Jag folks not giving help, less swap kits or parts but it was so worth it in the end.

Another option for a 6 cylinder E type would be to put a Toyota 2JZ or the Nissan RB twin cam turbo engines as those will fit easily and will put the same power as a good V8. Those two engines will easily put 450-600 with very little modifications and getting 750-850 HP of reliable street power is done all the time.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ret...-jaguar-e-type

enderle (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 10:13 PM
Default One man's opinion

Originally Posted by phanc60844
you should have named the post 'how to halve the value of a E type', engine swap to a chevy? what are you thinking???????
Its your money but talk about sacrilege, that has to rate among the worst offenders. Whats your next project, a chevy into a model T Ford?
======================
"Sacrilege"? REALLY?

It is not a DaVinci. It's a car. Albeit, a very pretty one.

It's value is both practical as well as aesthetic. Otherwise, just hang it on the wall next to the Degas?

These cars are unreliable as cars. They leak and leak, and fail to run reliably for a host of LUCAS and non-LUCAS related issues.

If someone wants to make their JAG more reliable and more enjoyable to drive ad lib, Mazel Tov! It is not as permanent as gender-reassignment surgery; unlike gender-reassignment surgery, you can save the old parts and swap them back in!.

If the car gets sold some day and someone likes it as is, no issue. If they don't, they can change it back to stock. Try recovering gender once the surgeons have had their way.

Honestly, if HELM offered you one of their bespoke Jags, you'd turn up your nose? See:

If you would, you need a therapist instead of a mechanic,

R/S
Doc

Old 11-20-2023, 11:30 PM
Received 206 Likes on 167 Posts

======================
"Sacrilege"? REALLY?

It is not a DaVinci. It's a car. Albeit, a very pretty one.
You're replying to a five and a half year old comment dude. The guy who posted this hasn't been back since April 2018.

Quick Reply: Engine conversion