E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Prince of Darkness wins again

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Prince of Darkness wins again

I just have to rant a bit. I got the E-type running pretty good recently, then the tach quit. I changed the fuse and all was OK until the headlight low beam quit. I figure that out and now today the temp gauge begins shaking, then smoke comes out form the dash ... Oh Sh##, and the temp gauge and the tach quit. I pulled over and opened things up to put out a fire but luckily all the smoking was done.Two separate fuses both at the same time! Now I need to dig into the main fuse block and find what is shorting things out. Hey on the bright side I got back home without CAA and the low beams are still working.
Alfred

Old 10-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,445 Likes on 1,946 Posts

With an old car like that, things can get a bit flaky with wiring looms. One of the reasons for going over to voltmeters rather than ammeters was to avoid all those amps going through the loom behind the dash. Cars then tended not to have comprehensive fuses either. One car at least in the 60s had no fuses at all ! It wasn't a Jaguar !!

Old 10-11-2014, 07:58 AM

Smoking dash! I carry a fire extinguisher with me when I drive, and I was reaching for it when I pulled over. I figured out the trouble: one fuse block cracked and caused a separation/arc that heated up the plastic block and melted one side of the connection. I need a new fuse block. The temp gauge works again after I replaced a fuse that was too long for the block.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:55 PM

Another test drive today and the ignition switch begins to smoke! I barely got home again. Now I need to figure that out before I drive again. The switch assembly and key were burning hot to touch. Maybe I need a priest to help me rid the Lucas curse

Old 10-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,821 Likes on 7,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
With an old car like that, things can get a bit flaky with wiring looms. One of the reasons for going over to voltmeters rather than ammeters was to avoid all those amps going through the loom behind the dash. Cars then tended not to have comprehensive fuses either. One car at least in the 60s had no fuses at all ! It wasn't a Jaguar !!

Correct on the ammeters! Big problem on older cars.

I spend a lot of time working on 60s-70s cars....all types....and the wiring on many of them is just about shot. Or, more specifically, the connections are shot.

Rusty/weak/broken/loose connections = high resistance = high heat = smoke and fire!

Cheers
DD

Old 10-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,821 Likes on 7,125 Posts

Originally Posted by alfred
Another test drive today and the ignition switch begins to smoke! I barely got home again. Now I need to figure that out before I drive again. The switch assembly and key were burning hot to touch. Maybe I need a priest to help me rid the Lucas curse

Spend a long weekend cleaning and tightening every connector you can lay your hands on. That alone solves many of the Lucas problems.

The ignition switch might be shot....or it might be that the internal contacts are just dirty. Some of the old switches...not sure about yours in particular....can be opened up and cleaned.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-07-2014, 11:01 AM

"I spend a lot of time working on 60s-70s cars....all types....and the wiring on many of them is just about shot. Or, more specifically, the connections are shot. Rusty/weak/broken/loose connections = high resistance = high heat = smoke and fire!"

You got that right Doug!

I replaced my ignition switch and the key stays cool now. Just to be sure I checked the wires coming from the switch for any heat and one wire started to rise to 85 degrees while the rest stayed at 60. Sure enough the connection was corroded so it was replaced as well. It began snowing this morning so I will need to wait for another test drive.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

High resistance makes heat. If the ignition switch is hot, it has resistance, probably needs to be replaced. Too much current flowing through the switch will make it hot, but probably will cause other issues, such as heat damaged wiring. Or letting the smoke out.