XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Mongoose JLR SDD software installation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 10:47 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Mongoose JLR SDD software installation?

I downloaded the latest software and am running the installation on a Toshiba laptop with win7 64 bit OS and got this message:

143.00_FULL.exe
Unhandled Main Thread Exception:
This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified.
System.InvalidOperationExceptionnStack Trace: at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonAcl.ThrowIfNot Canonical()
at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonAcl.SetQualifi edAce(SecurityIdentifier sid, AceQualifier qualifier, Int32 accessMask, AceFlags flags, ObjectAceFlags objectFlags, Guid objectType, Guid inheritedObjectType)
at System.Security.AccessControl.DiscretionaryAcl.Set Access(AccessControlType accessType, SecurityIdentifier sid, Int32 accessMask, InheritanceFlags inheritanceFlags, PropagationFlags propagationFlags)
at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonObjectSecurity .ModifyAccess(AccessControlModification modification, AccessRule rule, Boolean& modified)
at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonObjectSecurity .SetAccessRule(AccessRule rule)
at DiTest.Dix.InstallerApplication.Registry.Installer Registry.SetSettingsAccessRights(RegistryKey key)
at DiTest.Dix.InstallerApplication.Registry.Installer Registry.SetGlobalSettingsAccessRights()
at DiTest.Dix.InstallerApplication.States.StateSetAcc essRightsAndRegistry.Enter()
at DiTest.Dix.State.DixState.EnterIntern(DixStateLogi cContext stateContext)
at DiTest.Dix.State.DixState.DiTest.Dix.State.IIntern alAccessorDixState.EnterIntern(DixStateLogicContex t stateContext)
at DiTest.Dix.State.DixStateMachine.FindEnterState(Di xState nextState)
at DiTest.Dix.State.DixStateMachine.UpdateState(Updat eStateArgs obArgs, DixState forceNextState)
at DiTest.Dix.State.DixStateMachine.UpdateState(Updat eStateArgs obArgs)
at DiTest.Dix.State.DixStateServer.UpdateState(Update StateArgs args)
at DiTest.Dix.State.DixEvents.TickIntern(String command)
at DiTest.Dix.State.DixStateLogic.Tick()
at DiTest.Dix.State.DixStateTickTimer.DixTimerTick()
at DiTest.Dix.State.DixStateTickTimer.FormTimer_Tick( Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndPr oc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Error Method: Void ThrowIfNotCanonical()

Task manager says the "Sdd-143.00 install" is still running, but is does not seem to be progressing. Any suggestions from you computer more-literate-than-me folks?

Old 09-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Yup,
cancel,
Copy 143.ooo.exe to desktop and run from there as administrator.
If that still doesn't help, download the file again.

This version will probably rely heavily on the TOPIX server for all its information and you will be really limited to what you can do with it unless you have the subscription.

You are installing/running this via Virtual PC right?

Oh, and it may take a really long to install as there as 1000's of small .xml files it has to dump to your HDD>

Last edited by trosty; 09-21-2015 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
philwarner (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by trosty
Yup,
cancel,
Copy 143.ooo.exe to desktop and run from there as administrator.
If that still doesn't help, download the file again.

This version will probably rely heavily on the TOPIX server for all its information and you will be really limited to what you can do with it unless you have the subscription.

You are installing/running this via Virtual PC right?

Oh, and it may take a really long to install as there as 1000's of small .xml files it has to dump to your HDD>
I ran it from Explorer by right clicking and choosing "run as administrator". It took two overnight tries to download from Index of /265935/idscentral to get the full file. Not familiar with Virtural PC; Is that the recommended way?

The Mongoose clone came with one 139 DVD and three 142 DVDs; should I be using one of them instead of the 143 download? My Toshiba's Win7 is 64 bit; do I need a 32 bit machine like my old Sony XP Vaio?

Old 09-21-2015, 12:25 PM

I had these two wIndows after the error message window when install seemed to hang up.

BTW, I had the mongoose connected while installing the software. Does it make any difference? The drivers did install OK and the device is recognized. Can it be disconnected safely? It does not show up in the safely remove hardware list - at least not as something I recognize.

EDIT: Don't know if it was the hung up 142 install or my attempt to fix a web email problem after my ISP again "improved our experience" by changing the address of our web-based email and turning off the spam filter two weeks ago, but I got my very first Blue Screen Of Death on this laptop. Guess I'll try starting the install again.

Attached Thumbnails Mongoose JLR SDD software installation?-windows-after-error-message.jpg  

Last edited by philwarner; 09-21-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:30 PM

Tried running the install from the desktop as administrator with the same result and same error message. I ended the processes in task manager as they wouldn't close themselves.

Also got this window popping up as I was typing this post. I have no idea what this is but I minimized it.

Attached Thumbnails Mongoose JLR SDD software installation?-another-window-pops-up.jpg  
Old 09-21-2015, 05:59 PM

Your Sony Viao would be your best bet to be honest.

However if you do want to try Win 7 64 bit, You will need to download and install Virtual pc and win xp mode.

You are trying to run 32 Bit software on a 64 bit machine. The link for the 2 above programmes is here, but apparently it will only run on 64bit Win 7 Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate, so make sure you have that version or once again all is in vain.

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

I am currently in the process of creating a virtual HDD that can be ported to any machine running the virtual pc package that has SDD and Mongoose JLR already installed and working. The SDD version is V125 and is the apparently the last version that has the complete tools built in before having to access the internet and servers.

If I get it working I will let every one know and they can download and use it.

Last edited by trosty; 09-21-2015 at 06:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by trosty:
Don B (09-21-2015), mrlovt (10-18-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 07:02 PM

Your Sony Viao would be your best bet to be honest.

However if you do want to try Win 7 64 bit, You will need to download and install Virtual pc and win xp mode.

You are trying to run 32 Bit software on a 64 bit machine. The link for the 2 above programmes is here, but apparently it will only run on 64bit Win 7 Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate, so make sure you have that version or once again all is in vain.

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

I am currently in the process of creating a virtual HDD that can be ported to any machine running the virtual pc package that has SDD and Mongoose JLR already installed and working. The SDD version is V125 and is the apparently the last version that has the complete tools built in before having to access the internet and servers.

If I get it working I will let every one know and they can download and use it.
I remembered that I had looked at the virtural PC and XP mode a couple of years ago because I have a program that will run in Win7 but it requires a physical dongle to run and the dongle is only supported up to XP service pack 1. Unfortunately my Toshiba's win7 is Home Premium and not pro so I can't install the XP mode. So...no point in trying any of the versions on this 64 bit laptop? Bummer.

Guess I need to dig out the Sony and see if it still has a battery good enough to run in the car. At least I can copy the files I downloaded to a thumb drive to try it. Is version 125 available for download anywhere?

Last edited by philwarner; 09-21-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:29 PM

The only issue I found with using win Xp is that smetimes the files over 2GB can't be seen or run by the OS.
Some of those SDD files are 4GB or more in size and won't run from a Cd or Thumb drive or even an ext HDD. The way around it is to copy the file to your desktop and run it from there.

There are so many fluffy wooly issues with setting up SDD on a clone mongoose, you could write a book about it.

I would consider doing the following if you are going to install it on XP.

1. Go with a different version of SDD. V125 is the best for the X350.
2. Make sure your XP has all the updates installed.
3. Install Adobe reader.
4. Install Java vers 6.45 (although the newest versions should work too).
5. Turn off Firewall.
6. Turn off Antivirus.
7. Turn off updates.
8. Turn off internet connection.
9. Read the installation docs in the SDD125 folder, for the installation order. I am currently uploading V125 complete for all to download and use.
10. Copy all the files in the SDD 125 directory to your desktop.
11. If it allows, run each file as administrator, reboot after each installation finishes.
12. have faith, with luck and perseverance it should all work.
13. Look at getting a battery maintainer while using the SDD.

Last edited by trosty; 09-21-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Default more Mongoose questions

There are so many fluffy wooly issues with setting up SDD on a clone mongoose, you could write a book about it. I would consider doing the following if you are going to install it on XP.

1. Go with a different version of SDD. V125 is the best for the X350.
2. Make sure your XP has all the updates installed.
3. Install Adobe reader.
4. Install Java vers 6.45 (although the newest versions should work too).
5. Turn off Firewall.
6. Turn off Antivirus.
7. Turn off updates.
8. Turn off internet connection.
9. Read the installation docs in the SDD125 folder, for the installation order. I am currently uploading V125 complete for all to download and use.
10. Copy all the files in the SDD 125 directory to your desktop.
11. If it allows, run each file as administrator, reboot after each installation finishes.
12. have faith, with luck and perseverance it should all work.
13. Look at getting a battery maintainer while using the SDD.
The Mongoose Pro User Manual I found somewhere says "NOTE: Mongoose Pro software requires Windows XP, Windows Vista (32 or 64 bit), or Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit)" so just for the heck of it I tried copying the version 142 files from the clone's DVDs and installing them all on the Toshiba up thru the 142 update 2, and it did not return any error messages and seems to run so far. I did not get the MOXA Uport driver install screen that had popped up when I was trying to install 143. I set the JLR SDD "runtime" icon on the desktop to run in compatibility mode for XP service pack 3. Running from that runtime icon on the desktop it opens a little "stop application or launch Browser" window and then opens IE to a splash screen with the big SDD run button and clicking it gets you to http://localhost:8080/user//user/request_login.action with the "authorized repairers" and "independent operators" buttons and eventually switches to a "user authentication failed" screen with "retry", "cancel", and "use CONTINUE to proceed offline"

That is where I stopped because I don't fully understand about the Deep Freeze program.

("19. Deep Freeze Instantly restores the PC to its pristine state upon every reboot. Thereby allowing the time sensitive 24 hours of offline SDD usage to reset.")

Does installing the deep freeze program work like reverting to a particular restore point whenever you reboot? Does it affect all programs or just the SDD? If you don't install deep freeze do you get a one shot 24 hour period and then the JLR SDD program will not work again? I saw the deep freeze program somewhere, perhaps when I downloaded the JLR 64 bit drivers, but I can't remember where it was. And do you need the MOXA Uport drivers installed to use the Mongoose? When I plug the Mongoose into a USB port now with the SDD login screen still up, Win7 says it is ready to use and the devices and printers screen shows it and says it is working properly, although it is now flashing a green light once a second and a small amber or red light more rapidly where before installing 142 it had a rapidly flashing green light only. The Mongoose Pro User Manual does not list this combination of lights. Finally, is the J2534 ToolBox mentioned in the Mongose Pro User manual something that is available as a download or is it just for OEM Mongoose buyers? It sounds like it might be simpler to use if one can acquire it.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by philwarner
The Mongoose Pro User Manual I found somewhere says "NOTE: Mongoose Pro software requires Windows XP, Windows Vista (32 or 64 bit), or Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit)" so just for the heck of it I tried copying the version 142 files from the clone's DVDs and installing them all on the Toshiba up thru the 142 update 2, and it did not return any error messages and seems to run so far. I did not get the MOXA Uport driver install screen that had popped up when I was trying to install 143. I set the JLR SDD "runtime" icon on the desktop to run in compatibility mode for XP service pack 3. Running from that runtime icon on the desktop it opens a little "stop application or launch Browser" window and then opens IE to a splash screen with the big SDD run button and clicking it gets you to http://localhost:8080/user//user/request_login.action with the "authorized repairers" and "independent operators" buttons and eventually switches to a "user authentication failed" screen with "retry", "cancel", and "use CONTINUE to proceed offline"

That is where I stopped because I don't fully understand about the Deep Freeze program.

("19. Deep Freeze Instantly restores the PC to its pristine state upon every reboot. Thereby allowing the time sensitive 24 hours of offline SDD usage to reset.")

Does installing the deep freeze program work like reverting to a particular restore point whenever you reboot? Does it affect all programs or just the SDD? If you don't install deep freeze do you get a one shot 24 hour period and then the JLR SDD program will not work again? I saw the deep freeze program somewhere, perhaps when I downloaded the JLR 64 bit drivers, but I can't remember where it was. And do you need the MOXA Uport drivers installed to use the Mongoose? When I plug the Mongoose into a USB port now with the SDD login screen still up, Win7 says it is ready to use and the devices and printers screen shows it and says it is working properly, although it is now flashing a green light once a second and a small amber or red light more rapidly where before installing 142 it had a rapidly flashing green light only. The Mongoose Pro User Manual does not list this combination of lights. Finally, is the J2534 ToolBox mentioned in the Mongose Pro User manual something that is available as a download or is it just for OEM Mongoose buyers? It sounds like it might be simpler to use if one can acquire it.

Well it sounds like you have got the software working.

Big, Big question here...... Did you get the red banner across the top of the screen giving you 24 hours of unauthorised use? If so, without the deep freeze programme running, you now only have 24 hours of SDD use.

You will have to uninstall the whole thing and start again. You will have to clean registry and remove any references to IDS/SDD from the registry or the very next time you use it, that red banner will pop up and you won't be able to proceed.

Deep freeze takes a snap shot of your MFT on the HDD and secures it for copying back to the MFT on reboot. Any adjustments, installs, deletes or anything on your pc while Deep freeze is running will be lost because the cloned MFT will have been put back in place.

I learnt this the hard way too.

If there was no error messages during install then all drivers (MOXA,USB) were installed correctly and I wouldn't worry about them.

Any further questions please do not hesitate to pm me your number and I can call and chat about the specifics.

Last edited by trosty; 09-22-2015 at 10:04 AM.
philwarner (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 10:36 AM

Well it sounds like you have got the software working.

Big, Big question here...... Did you get the red banner across the top of the screen giving you 24 hours of unauthorised use? If so, without the deep freeze programme running, you now only have 24 hours of SDD use.

You will have to uninstall the whole thing and start again. You will have to clean registry and remove any references to IDS/SDD from the registry or the very next time you use it, that red banner will pop up and you won't be able to proceed.

Deep freeze takes a snap shot of your MFT on the HDD and secures it for copying back to the MFT on reboot. Any adjustments, installs, deletes or anything on your pc while Deep freeze is running will be lost because the cloned MFT will have been put back in place.

I learnt this the hard way too.

If there was no error messages during install then all drivers (MOXA,USB) were installed correctly and I wouldn't worry about them.

Any further questions please do not hesitate to pm me your number and I can call and chat about the specifics.
I didn't go that final step to click CONTINUE so no 24 hour banner yet. So if I did hit CONTINUE without Deep Freeze I'd be screwed and two days of installing 142 would be down the drain? And if I do install Deep Freeze I can't save any work on this laptop? If so, then I need to dedicate my Sony or another laptop to this SDD program? Funny, the Chinese don't mention that little fact when they advertise these things.

Got to get off my butt and do some chores I've been neglecting, but I'll check back later. Seems perhaps the $42 plus several day's time is wasted, since this laptop is my primary computer for other things. Sigh.

I closed IE and clicked the stop application in the little window; the mongoose is still doing the green slow/red faster flash dance.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:57 AM

That was lucky then.
But knowing this, I would seriously consider downloading v125 and just installing that on the Sony.
It works perfectly, you don't need internet or are time restricted and have full functionality which you would lose with SDD v142.

Lastly you can continue to use the laptop as normal, installing, deleting files or whatever.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

Seems like you want to use your Sony laptop for other things beyond SDD so you could use your Toshiba win 7 64 bit but you'd have to run it in a "virtual" environment i.e Virtual PC like Trosty is using or Vmware that I have used. trial/free versions are available to use. The advantages of a virtual machine is that you can isolate it from everything else like deep freeze or just to isolate it from your other uses. The other benefit is that you can tarsnport the install to another a computer without going through the hours of install. However, I have read concerns about SDD in virtual environments and using it natively is the best but you have to probably dedicate a machine to do it from.

You dont need to load the J2534 toolbox, you wont be using it, neither are the MOXA Uport drivers needed with a mongoose clone. Hope this helps.

michaeljc (11-10-2019)
Old 09-22-2015, 01:35 PM

That was lucky then.
But knowing this, I would seriously consider downloading v125 and just installing that on the Sony.
It works perfectly, you don't need internet or are time restricted and have full functionality which you would lose with SDD v142.

Lastly you can continue to use the laptop as normal, installing, deleting files or whatever.
Originally Posted by hafren
Seems like you want to use your Sony laptop for other things beyond SDD so you could use your Toshiba win 7 64 bit but you'd have to run it in a "virtual" environment i.e Virtual PC like Trosty is using or Vmware that I have used. trial/free versions are available to use. The advantages of a virtual machine is that you can isolate it from everything else like deep freeze or just to isolate it from your other uses. The other benefit is that you can tarsnport the install to another a computer without going through the hours of install. However, I have read concerns about SDD in virtual environments and using it natively is the best but you have to probably dedicate a machine to do it from.

You dont need to load the J2534 toolbox, you wont be using it, neither are the MOXA Uport drivers needed with a mongoose clone. Hope this helps.
Actually it is the Toshiba I need to use for other things; The Sony could be a dedicated SDD box but it runs XP. I've been reading through the Cloned Dealer Scan Tool thread in General Tech and have read that versions up to 130 can be fully functional off line as long as you do not let them be updated. I searched for a 125 download but so far have not found one. There was also discussion of folks selling their older versions on eBay with login and password included when they upgrade to newer versions. So far I am only up to page 6 of this long thread - hoping it gets more helpful as I dig deeper.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

You may have a look at the dedicated Mongoose thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...an-tool-66558/

Btw, the latest version of the IDS/SDD that does not need connecting to Topix is v130.03.

The following 2 users liked this post by paydase:
philwarner (09-23-2015), trosty (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by paydase
You may have a look at the dedicated Mongoose thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...an-tool-66558/

Btw, the latest version of the IDS/SDD that does not need connecting to Topix is v130.03.
Thanks, I am reading through that thread and someone else kindly sent me a link to a 130 download site and I am downloading the 130 files now (It will probably take all day and then some at my ISPs speed). I am thinking I will try just the base 130 without any of the upgrades first.

So....does 130 run on win7 or just XP? And if it doesn't rely on the Topix site, does it have any use limitations that the later versions have like the 24 hour limit on off-line use? If not, then Deep Freeze is probably not required.

Thanks to all who have responded to my questions; I thought I was at least a little bit computer savvy, but this has been a definite learning experience.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:32 AM

I tried V130 in winxp mode on a win7 64bit machine and it installed ok and the mongoose jlr was recognised (i used the pro version) but when it came to auto reading the VIN , it always came back as unknown VIN. Then when I tried to input it manually it came back unknown and would progress no further. I even changed to the non pro mongoose driver versions and still the same!

That's when I went and tried V125 and it worked flawlessly.

Just 0.02p worth.

philwarner (09-25-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

I tried V130 in winxp mode on a win7 64bit machine and it installed ok and the mongoose jlr was recognised (i used the pro version) but when it came to auto reading the VIN , it always came back as unknown VIN. Then when I tried to input it manually it came back unknown and would progress no further. I even changed to the non pro mongoose driver versions and still the same!

Just 0.02p worth.
That's strange it worked ok for me and I believe many other forum members have used it as its the last version before authentication.

Originally Posted by paydase

I've used v130.06 without any need for online authentication or Topix.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:38 PM

I'm glad it worked for everyone who installed it. On my system for whatever reason it wouldn't work.

Luck of the draw I suppose.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:25 PM

Just 0.02p worth.
Did you run v125 on the same win7 64 bit machine?

Quick Reply: Mongoose JLR SDD software installation?