E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Someone explain this

Old 06-22-2019, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone explain this

In trying to start my 1964 roadster e-type, I put it in neutral and then decided to depress the clutch because I thought it would take a little load off the engine since it would not be connected to the transmission. I found it would hardly turn the engine over. I would have to jump start my new battery with my car battery to get it started. After doing this for a long time, I tried to start it in neutral without depressing the clutch. It turned over like gang busters, and immediately started. Once idling, I engaged the clutch and found that the RPM would drop 200 to 300 RPM. Why?

Old 06-23-2019, 06:22 AM
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Is this something that just started or have you had major work done lately--like a clutch replacement. Something is bound to the rearward of your flywheel. You might remove the gearbox top cover and observe. If you see no shifting in the gearbox something is very wrong with the clutch system. If you have not had a clutch replacement you may have a very worn out release bearing--to the point it is metal on metal.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:18 PM
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Coventry Foundation View Post
Is this something that just started or have you had major work done lately--like a clutch replacement. Something is bound to the rearward of your flywheel. You might remove the gearbox top cover and observe. If you see no shifting in the gearbox something is very wrong with the clutch system. If you have not had a clutch replacement you may have a very worn out release bearing--to the point it is metal on metal.
That doesn't sound good. I have not done any clutch work since the whole car was completely restored about 12 years ago as a show car. However, I have only put on about 200 miles since then. Sham on me. I will have to have someone look at it.

Thank you for your reply.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
In trying to start my 1964 roadster e-type, I put it in neutral and then decided to depress the clutch because I thought it would take a little load off the engine since it would not be connected to the transmission. I found it would hardly turn the engine over. I would have to jump start my new battery with my car battery to get it started. After doing this for a long time, I tried to start it in neutral without depressing the clutch. It turned over like gang busters, and immediately started. Once idling, I engaged the clutch and found that the RPM would drop 200 to 300 RPM. Why?
Throw out bearing and crank thrust washers create more drag than turning (very few) transmission bits.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 1,311 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemilton View Post
Throw out bearing and crank thrust washers create more drag than turning (very few) transmission bits.
Exactly ! Drag from a gearbox in neutral is very little. What puzzles me is that the drag from releasing the clutch causes such a problem with this car ! Maybe the starter motor isn't up-to-snuff; they do wear out over the years, I had to replace one on my old 1980 XJ6

Old 06-24-2019, 05:51 AM
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

We agree that the most likely culprit is a worn out throw out bearing. Best guess is it is metal to metal at this point. That said an improperly rebuilt gearbox can shift when the clutch is applied and drag on the case. Odd part about the throw out bearing is you would expect to feel it or hear it. Sometimes they make no noise but you do feel a judder.

The following users liked this post:
mikemilton (06-24-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 12:15 AM

Hi, I took the car into Burnett British Automotive in Mountain View, CA. He did a quick depression of the clutch and didn't seem to think there was a problem with the clutch. He noticed that my battery was rated at 660 CCA, and suggested that I needed at least a CCA of 800. He suggested I buy one and try that out. It still doesn't explain the big drop in turn over speed with the clutch in. I guess I need the bigger battery, so I will get one and see what happens then.

Thanks for the responses.

Robert