XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Can someone explain what this engine part does?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can someone explain what this engine part does?

Pls excuse my technical ignorance... but I have a question: I recently noticed that a part of the air intake ducting on my 2001 XJ8 had worked loose. It's a small pipe which branches into the air duct coming from the top centre right of the engine. I have noticed an occasional rough idle at start up, could this be connected?

Old 09-30-2014, 04:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default breather

I suspect the pipe you refer to is a breather pipe coming from the engine cam cover area to the air input pipe, about 20mm in diameter and snap on connectors at each end? This should be connected to the cam cover and the air intake pipe. If this pipe has a habit of becoming disconnected. I would get the 'V' mounts between the chassis and the subframe changed. I have just done this on my car because of this problem. As you say it also caused rough running problems. To check the 'V' mounts, take a front wheel off and use a long lever to prise the mount and see if it has come detached.
The mount is located between the subframe and the chassis behind the front spring.
Bill W.

The following users liked this post:
RichardPhuket (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 AM

Thanks Bill, I'll take a look and see what I find.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Do a search for "breather" in the 308 section. These hoses often break, and can be replaced by heater hose if you want. It will cause engine issues, because it is running lean with that hose off.

The following users liked this post:
RichardPhuket (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 03:43 PM

It looks likely I'll have to get the V mounts changed, can anyone tell me what parts I need to order (nothing available locally so I need to import)? I had hoped that the work I just had done on the front suspension might have fixed the issue, but the symptoms persist: the breather hose keeps disconnecting after heavy breaking and a distinct clunk can be heard...

Old 10-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,620 Likes on 874 Posts

Looks like these engine mounting brackets might be the ones you need??

Jim Lombardi

Attached Thumbnails Can someone explain what this engine part does?-jaguar-x308-engine-mounting-bracket.jpg  
Old 10-05-2014, 04:18 AM
Default 'V' Mounts

Hi Richard,

As I said earlier, I had exactly the same symptoms as you have, where the breather pipe comes off after heavy braking and a "clunk". The parts I replaced, to cure this problem, were the 'V' mounts. The part number for these is MNC 2360 AB, and of course you need two.
As stated earlier, you can check the condition of the 'V' mounts very easily to see if they have become de-laminated. You could change the engine mounts as Jim suggested, but as your symptoms are exactly the same as mine were I would go for the 'V' mounts.
All the best
Bill W

Old 10-05-2014, 06:15 AM

Hi Bill,

I just removed the front wheel using the car jack, and saw that a piece of rubber and nylons string in the top of the V were loose. I'm not sure if this is part of the mount, and wasn't able to use a crow Bar to check for play. If I do replace the V mount, Is it a good idea to replace the other sub frame mounts at the same time?

Many thanks for your advice so far!

Old 10-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,620 Likes on 874 Posts
Old 10-12-2014, 09:20 AM

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I’ve been having trouble with a loud clunking noise after heavy breaking, and a breather pipe coming loose from the air intake ducting. After receiving much good advice, I ordered new V brackets and engine / gear box mounts but have been driving in the mean time. Well, that wasn’t such a good idea as last week I happened to drop the hood in a hurry and found that next time the off side hood wouldn’t release… In my second attempt I broke the off side of the interior hood release lever cable mounting…

I spent the weekend working the problem out, and found some old threads really useful in how to get back into the engine compartment. My car is a 2001, and I understand that earlier models might be different, but sure enough after removing the wheel and inside arch covers I found a hole within another hole and after a while of probing with a flat head screw driver managed to release the hood. I had to remove both locking mechanisms as the cables had worked loose which was a right fiddle, and then rebuild everything. All this in the tropics with 90% humidity.

So now I’ve got a new hood release mechanism on order and have rigged a loop of cord to pull the off side hood release…

I think I’ll leave the car at home now at least until I get the engine and sub frame mounts changed…

Thanks to many people for earlier threads. In my region where sightings of big cats are few and far between the knowledge base here is making ownership manageable.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Heliwilly
I suspect the pipe you refer to is a breather pipe coming from the engine cam cover area to the air input pipe, about 20mm in diameter and snap on connectors at each end? This should be connected to the cam cover and the air intake pipe. If this pipe has a habit of becoming disconnected. I would get the 'V' mounts between the chassis and the subframe changed. I have just done this on my car because of this problem. As you say it also caused rough running problems. To check the 'V' mounts, take a front wheel off and use a long lever to prise the mount and see if it has come detached.
The mount is located between the subframe and the chassis behind the front spring.
Bill W.
I just had the V brackets and engine mounts changed, and did a test drive to find that the problem is resolved and the car is stopping without any issues again. Thanks Bill for your sound advice, you were spot on.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Smile V Mounts

Hi Richard,

Just glad that we could all be of some help. Running an XJ8 is hard enough when spares and dealers are nearby, but when you are miles from them, then this is where the Jag forums come into their own.
Long time since I was in Thailand, spent some time in Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket in the mid '60's when with the British Army.

All the best

Bill.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Richard,

May I ask if you are interested in selleing your Daimler Sovereign 4.2 Coupe?

Thanks

John

096 169 3808 (Thailand)

jkrfinlow@yahoo.com

Old 04-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Richard that phone number is 096 168 3808.... typo.