E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Speedometer cable, drive and lifting car

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default Speedometer cable, drive and lifting car

I have a 1967 E Type OTS. While driving I felt the car "snap" and the speedometer stopped working. I pulled out the old inner speedometer cable and it did not appear to be broken. I replaced the inner cable. I must be dumb; I cannot locate where the speedometer cable goes into the gearbox. I have tried to follow it through the engine compartment. I followed it to where the cable dives into the firewall. My hands are too big to follow it that way. I have been under the car and I cannot locate where the cable goes into the gearbox. I have gone through the interior. I found the gearbox fluid nut. I know about where the speedometer drive is but how do you get to it and take the speedometer drive apart at the gearbox? Do you need to drop the exhaust and/or the transmission? And one more stupid question: As a newbie to E types, where is the best spot and process to lift it with a floor jack? Pine 2*4s? Jack stands? Where should I place them? I have owned an MGA for 10 years and I was not afraid to hurt it. Now I am scared to touch this car.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OK: everybody who first confronts working on an XKE seems to have the same feeling of distress !! The speedo cable enters the transmission on the right side just in front of the universal joint, it uses a 90 degree cable fitting and is best accessed by removing the top sheet metal housing that goes over the gearbox. After removing the armrest/cubbybox
you will find a dozen #10 by 5/8" sheet metal screws that hold the cover to the driveshaft cover these screws have flat oval washers under them. After removing this cover pry it off carefully as it is also stuck on with Dum-dum (a thick chewing gum like stuff). Once this cover is out of the way you will find you can get at the cable end and drive and fix or replace it. Aren't Jags fun!.......

Old 07-12-2015, 06:37 PM
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

It's more like removing the entire central console over the transmission tunnel, perhaps also the radio console, and at least one or both seats (to preclude damage to the leather), before you can get to the metal cover and insulation blanket over the gearbox . I would recommend getting something like the Haynes E-Type Owners Workshop Manual, which shows in photos what needs to be done, step by step (ref. page 27, photos 5.5-5.8). Or you might get lucky - first take up the vertical carpeting on the right hand side of the transmission tunnel and see if someone has already been here and helpfully provided a post-factory-build access hole to this end of the speedo cable (quite common back in the day). If not, then it is rather a chore to get to the right-angle speedo drive. It helps to have a helper with tiny hands.

As to jacking the car, Chapter 11 of the same Workshop Manual shows the safe jacking points, front and rear.

One of the best features of classic British cars is that they all have available excellently written workshop manuals (in a mostly familiar language), that will take you step by step through any conceivable operation (almost). No need to be afraid if you have a faithful guide - just read carefully and do not "wing" it. And do not jack up the front immediately under the radiator!

Just noticed the date on the original posting - truly a zombie thread! This problem is probably long resolved.

Last edited by SCMike; 07-12-2015 at 06:45 PM. Reason: FaZ: Flag a Zombie