E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

What to do with a E-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 07:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What to do with a E-Type?

I posted last year about my uncle wanting to gift me a e-type he has had in storage since 1975 or so. It has been his baby through his entire adult life, through divorce etc,

I have been asking on and off for some info about the car and I have been reading about e-type resto's. I know a owner of a body shop that has done a few of these so questions can be easily answered and if I am over my head I can get easy assistance as well.

Here is some more info on the car. Tried to get the VIN as there seems to be websites that give e-type based on the VIN, but no luck yet.

It's a Series II 4.2 Litre.
twin Strombergs. UK models had 3 correct?
4 speed manual, FHC (coupe).
Air conditioning was added at the dealer when the first owner bought it.
There is twin electrical fans, but the car always had tendency to run warm when the temps where over 80 degrees.
The engine temperature was great 70 and lower.
There's is some rust around the rear wheel wells.
Not 100% sure if there is any rust in the floors.
Last time I looked, the tube connectors seemed okay.

Seems like a straight forward take the whole car apart clean, fix a little rust, paint and reassemble with about a half a million cuss words. I have dropped the price on one of my cars big time just to get rid of it so I have room for this e-type. If anyone wants a true barn find 77Olds Cutlass supreme with 45K miles I have a deal for you.

Last edited by GGG; 08-10-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hey Mark . . . I can smell your excitement from half a world away. Can I encourage you in a few practical ways -
  • a few great books on the E-Type are by Skilleter and also Porter, perhaps no longer in print but search online as their advice and pics are a priceless fundamental before, during and after a resto;
  • UK spec Series 1 and 2 all had triple 2" SU carbs, not Strombergs, but also check head, valve & cam specs, diff ratio etc etc etc;
  • as to rust, take your initial findings of nasty stuff and multiply by 3 - known areas include all floors, wheel well, both sills inside & outside, all window openings and doors;
  • powertrain from engine to diff is generally bulletproof but rewards a careful rebuild with lifelong reliability but . . . oil pump warrants R&R and cooling system was always marginal in warmer climes so review both rad and w/pump here on forum ;
  • brakes & suspension reward complete rebuild, especially of rubber brake seals, fluids and all suspension bushes etc;
  • electrics can be frustrating but dead simple to diagnose and fix compared to modern electronics and comms.
Sounds daunting, but really just one sub-system at a time . . . some of which you can DIY as both learning and budget solutions. Jump in Mark; do it well; and do your uncle proud. So happy for you!

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 06-09-2017, 06:39 AM

[Hey Mark . . . I can smell your excitement from half a world away. Can I encourage you in a few practical ways -

I am sure I will be looking for encouragement every wich way to sunday at times on this. I've done a couple frame off resto's but nothing British, and nothing this valuable. I am more of a large American 4door muscle guy (arr arr arr), but my uncle has some significant health issues and I would enjoy keeping this car in the family.
  • a few great books on the E-Type are by Skilleter and also Porter, perhaps no longer in print but search online as their advice and pics are a priceless fundamental before, during and after a resto;

I have ordered Jaguar E-Type: The Complete Story
Wood, Jonathan. Should be here in a week or so. Between that and my friends that have been paid to resto the e-types I should be in good company. My uncle told me he has the book from Porter.
  • UK spec Series 1 and 2 all had triple 2" SU carbs, not Strombergs, but also check head, valve & cam specs, diff ratio etc etc etc;
Yep. This one is dual Strombergs. I have asked my uncle to take some pics of the vin plate so I can find out some more about the car.
  • as to rust, take your initial findings of nasty stuff and multiply by 3 - known areas include all floors, wheel well, both sills inside & outside, all window openings and doors;
This is my fear. I hate dealing with rust. It only had 3 years of NJ weather before being stored so I am hoping its minimal. Wheel wells and floors I am ok with, but structural and difficult shaped pieces I am not comfortable.
  • powertrain from engine to diff is generally bulletproof but rewards a careful rebuild with lifelong reliability but . . . oil pump warrants R&R and cooling system was always marginal in warmer climes so review both rad and w/pump here on forum ;
My plan is cooling system redo. Have not read that the oil pump is a must, but seeing that the engine will come out that should be easy enough. I am not planning on rebuild of powertrain. Just change all seals and gaskets. This a bad idea?
  • brakes & suspension reward complete rebuild, especially of rubber brake seals, fluids and all suspension bushes etc;
Agreed and planned on.
  • electrics can be frustrating but dead simple to diagnose and fix compared to modern electronics and comms.
Figured a new harness would be in order unless everything looks to be in great shape. Not much electrical to these it seems.

Sounds daunting, but really just one sub-system at a time . . . some of which you can DIY as both learning and budget solutions. Jump in Mark; do it well; and do your uncle proud. So happy for you!

As long as I don't have to get into the engine or major structural rot repair I should be good. Planned on doing one piece at a time (Jonny Cash), and get through it in 500 hours or so. No idea on what chrome, paint or interior look like. This latest info is the most I have received and I am surprised that the rust exists on the WW based on how my uncle lives his life.

Just need to sell a car and I will have room to begin.

Ken[/QUOTE]

Old 06-09-2017, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

Hi again Mark. Both those books are very good. Plenty of us here very happy to help, although my E-Type has now been sold to a mate. Still have access to answer any of your tough questions. To your various replies, let me add -
  • brakes . . . remember to replace all hard metal lines (internal rust) and flexible lines;
  • don't sweat the body rust but just lift everything and look closely, floors being somewhat easy to replace, even wheel well in boot/trunk if you get stiffener ribs made for you, but sills are a pita;
  • huge advantage on the E is easily removed engine, drivetrain, rear end assembly, interior, then entire front end . . . remaining "tub" can then be "rotisseried" for inverting, cleaning, welding, and painting;
  • I'm always amused when I hear panic about XK engine. Sure, they aren't V8 Chev. Yes, they take time to build, but they are so straightforward if you get a workshop manual, read, research, ask questions and take your time;
  • oil pump may not need replacing . . . mine needed face milling only, but this and new hydraulic chain tensioner are good start to always having plenty of hot oil pressure;
  • oh . . . and always replace welch or core plugs . . . all of them; just don't remind me why; no please don't;
  • some like to tackle only one assembly and work at it relentlessly until finished. I tend to do this, although first full rebuild g/box (avatar Jag) nearly drove me mad, These days, I tend to have 3-4 jobs on the go, so that wait on parts for one, does not hold up overall project;
  • don't rush on new harness although condition will suggest if this is advised . . . it is often the electrical components, switches and like that fail with old age.
Cheers,

Ken

Old 06-09-2017, 07:57 AM

Such quick replies............

Agreed on all brake components, freeze plugs/core plugs. Will do some investigating on oil pump and timing chain problems.

Don't even know the miles on this car? Can't be many if it was only driven as a toy for 5 years? First thing first, my uncle has to give away something he has treasured for 45 years. Yikes. I would not want to do that.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkEkberg
. . . my uncle has to give away something he has treasured for 45 years. Yikes. I would not want to do that.
After our 40 year love affair with our E-Type, let me share you a secret, perhaps also your uncle's. Finding someone to inherit the love, enthusiasm and commitment to bring such a treasure back to original life, maintain it religiously, knowing that you will pass it to another just as committed . . . all of that becomes far more important than the money thing. For us it becomes a source of family pride . . . shared joy.

And if you do the resto well, there's no reason it won't last another 45 years . . . which almost guarantees you will be looking at a younger generation to do what you are about to undertake. IMHO, That's neither mystical, nor b/s. It's what makes it worthwhile.

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 06-09-2017, 01:27 PM

And if you do the resto well, there's no reason it won't last another 45 years . . . which almost guarantees you will be looking at a younger generation to do what you are about to undertake. IMHO, That's neither mystical, nor b/s. It's what makes it worthwhile.

I certainly hope my 7 and 5 year old have some car blood in them. I am the only one in my family that has it. My parents saw no value in old cars, and my siblings have no interest in the ones I currently have within my family.

My wifes side of the family is the same way. No value in things like this. I am slowly changing her attitude and she is beginning to understand.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkEkberg
I certainly hope my 7 and 5 year old have some car blood in them.
They will, but it's up to you. My wife was the smart one in our family, setting both boys and our girl with their private resources of plastic bottles full of nuts & bolts, nails etc and their own little armoury of tools. As they developed skills and interest, "helping Daddy" slowly morphed into lifelong capabilities. Shared pride in genuine achievement (and ground up resto of any car, let alone an E-Type) can be powerful family "glue".

What do others think?
Cheers,

Ken

Old 06-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Almost every body panel on the E-type is available from Martin Robey, of Nuneaton, England. They ship to the US< but there will be US suppliers of them. They even supply complete shells where rust is so bad it's uneconomic to replace panels because the labour charge would be too great.

That's if you need one or two, of course !!

Old 06-19-2017, 12:38 PM
k52
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, is it for sale?
K52

Old 06-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Fortunately you are in the same state as the the ultimate parts supplier whom happen to specialize in E-Types!

Feel free to give me a call or drop me an email for any parts advice or questions on your vehicle and for a FREE parts guide. Here at SNG we deal with these everyday and are all very familiar with the cars and their parts/common problems..

Kind Regards
William@Sngbarratt.com
603 622 1050

Old 06-20-2017, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by k52
Mark, is it for sale?
K52
I can't imagine my uncle would be ok with me selling. I am fairly certain the expectation is to restore and keep which I am ok with, it just going to be a huge endeavor.

I am also sure that at some point I will sell it, but that day will have to be talked about with my uncle.

I hope to stop and see the car on my way to TN in a couple weeks, however my uncle has gotten quiet again when I suggested this. He has names of Northern NJ restorers who specialize in E-Types. There is no way I can afford that, and I have been told more than once. Nut are nuts and bolts are bolts, they all come apart and go together the same way.

I am not worried about tagging and bagging everything. Makes reassembly so much quicker.

Last edited by MarkEkberg; 06-20-2017 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-26-2017, 04:44 PM

After reading The complete story of the E-Type I was a little disappointed in the information on the restoration side of things. They did give enough information for me to ask a couple questions though.

1. When inspecting the sill below the door. Seems like the issue os there is no drainage for the water that finds its way in there. Do you cut it open just to look, or drill a couple holes and stick a boroscope in there to take a look? If it is good to go or if it needs replacement do people drill holes for drainage or do they just not worry about it?

2. Seems to me that things like a new wire harness is the only way to go. Seems as though it is not that complicated of a harness and I imagine for the money to will either solve problems or eliminate them in trying to track them down.

3. SNG Baratt, thanks for the catalog. Thumbed through that and I have determined there is nothing I can't find in there, However...... There are no prices

Should I be afraid?

Old 06-28-2017, 06:34 AM

Finally got some numbers for the car.

Not sure if they tell me much. I have researched what the numbers mean, but it does not appear to be in the Jaguar database. One of those long lost ones I guess?

Car number is 1R.27688. Color scheme is Old English White for the coachwork and Black for the interior.

Still have not been able to get a confirmation to actually see the car and take some pictures yet, but I will be passing through northern NJ twice on my trip to TN so maybe it can still happen. Wish me luck.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar situation to Mark. Due to health issues my uncle gave us (Father and I) his '69 FHC that was deteriorating. Little did we know he did "the stick a V8 in it" conversion. UGH!!

Question: Should we try to put back a XK engine? If yes, which year model? Uncle didn't retain the original engine, so it wont be a numbers matching car. The semi-purist part of me wants to return the engine to at least within the jag family.

Looking for opinions

Old 07-04-2017, 04:09 AM

Your in a perfect situation. The hard decision of a transplant had been done. You will never have a valuable numbers car do have fun with it. If I were in your shoes I would be looking at the 2.7 tt from Ford. Take everything so you have all the creature comforts and a sweet daily driver but keep it hidden.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

The site "xkedata.com" is a good reference for car data. Using the search function there reveals a couple of cars that were built about the same time as yours:

Car: 1R27685 Engine: 7R10408-9 Gearbox: KE11687 Body: 4R23327
Build Date: 20 Jan 1970 Dark Blue

Car: 1R27691 Engine: 7R10436-9 Gearbox: KE11686 Body: 4R23339
Build Date: 20 Jan 1970 British Racing Green

Old 07-14-2017, 12:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

test

Old 08-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, if you wish to find out the original delivery specification for your e-type, contact the Jaguar Heritage Trust with your frame/chassis number, and get a certificate.

Jaguar Heritage. Heritage Certificate