E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

XJ6 Engine in XKE- setting tappets, tensioner etc- questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 03:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ6 Engine in XKE- setting tappets, tensioner etc- questions

I just ran the engine numbers on my 71 XKE and discovered that my father had swapped in an XJ6 engine and added a triple SU setup on it. It has the "backwards" alternator as if fitted for A/C but not an A/C equipped car. Herein lies the question(s).
It's time to check the tappets- as the valve train noise seems a little excessive and I know it has not been done in 10 years (car has seen 1500 miles in that time). I've already noticed the breather/timing tensioner cover isn't what I expected to see... there's no centre part with a screen like on another XKE I worked on. What other surprises should I be in for? I didn't think there were significant differences, but I thought at one time I heard the XJ6 engines had higher compression and could be 'tuned' for a bit more HP.
Also, when in there doing this process I had considered new cam bearings, tappets and the "street performance" camshafts. The carbs at this point are looking a little sad and don't retain dashpot oil so they will likely be next after looking into all the valve train noise.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:47 AM

accidentally submitted too soon... Just wondering what surprises/differences should I look out for- and do the performance camshafts really do much?

Old 10-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Can you show a pic of your engine, please. Reason I ask is that all XK engine timing covers have the circular cover plate. This is there so the upper timing chain can be adjusted.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:25 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

What is the compression reading of each cylinder?

Old 10-03-2016, 07:23 PM

Compression tests (wet and dry) are coming in the next day or so. I'm still prepping the car by getting the garage sorted and waiting for some gaskets and a new micrometer since I lost mine. Plan to compression test before pulling the cam covers.
I'll get some pics together- the engine is an 8L series which from what I've read is a crack prone engine. No idea on the head. Would love to know if it's a big valve version, but I think it might have the ports for the air injection- can't recall.
The tensioner cover is round as expected, it's just missing the screen- so is only fitted directly to the head with a single gasket. Not sure if that screen is actually necessary and if I should get one. I'll be pulling that off probably tomorrow to see what is in there.
I intended to be farther in to this, but organizing the garage is taking longer than I thought. Once the car is positioned, it won't be moving until Spring so I have to make sure it's right. If the weather cooperates, maybe it'll get some road time after the tappets are done. The alternator is wonky and I'd like to remove the A/C style setup and get the alternator back down where I feel it should be on the side of the engine.
I'll get some pics together. Admittedly, am a little nervous about the compression test. No real reason to suspect anything bad as the plugs all look decent... but I really don't want there to be a big problem. A head gasket I can deal with but cracked blocks or other issues would really be a giant bummer. Major repairs fall outside the budget of a military disability pension.