E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

xke suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xke suspensions

I have been told that the rear suspension off of an xjs will fit under my xke? I recently bought a tub and am trying to piece it back together.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dehouge
I have been told that the rear suspension off of an xjs will fit under my xke? I recently bought a tub and am trying to piece it back together.
I dunno...here are the rear track dimensions:
XKE 6 = 50"
XKE V12 = 53"
XJS = 58.6"

So probably not a bolt-in replacement. The cage and diff unit *might* fit depending on the geometry of the 4 attachment points to the respective chassis hard points, but the XJS wishbone assemblies would probably be too long. So at best it might be mix and match, and hope that the suspension geometry is not hosed. Best to find someone who has REALLY done it and get the CONCRETE details.

The following users liked this post:
dehouge (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
I dunno...here are the rear track dimensions:
XKE 6 = 50"
XKE V12 = 53"
XJS = 58.6"

So probably not a bolt-in replacement. The cage and diff unit *might* fit depending on the geometry of the 4 attachment points to the respective chassis hard points, but the XJS wishbone assemblies would probably be too long. So at best it might be mix and match, and hope that the suspension geometry is not hosed. Best to find someone who has REALLY done it and get the CONCRETE details.
Thanks, I saw an XJS rear suspension advertised on e-bay and it said it was compatable? I am also missing the front suspension as well as thbirdgage, any thoughts where I might find one or a compatable?

Old 04-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dehouge
Thanks, I saw an XJS rear suspension advertised on e-bay and it said it was compatable? I am also missing the front suspension as well as thbirdgage, any thoughts where I might find one or a compatable?
Sounds like a r-e-a-l-l-y ambitious project that you have in mind! With just a tub on hand, you have (functionally), say, about 5% of an XKE. What sort of condition is the tub structure in? If it requires any significant repairs, I would question the entire endeavor.

Let's say that your (1968?) tub is in great condition. In that case, you should look for a complete, but very badly rusted XKE (they can be in a very sorry state). You could then rebuild the car around your tub. All things being equal, a Series 2 2+2 would be the cheapest donor XKE to be found. The problem is that with the recent acceleration in XKE values, the cheapest 2+2 would not be as cheap as they used to be. The ideal donor would be complete, but with rotted floors/sills/front bulkhead/rear suspension pick-up points. A roadster in such condition would be worth restoring, but a 2+2 - not really, hence an ideal donor.

A couple of things to keep in mind in looking at a donor...the bonnet (hood) is a substantial part of the car. If that is in poor condition, you are looking at a lot of work/expense. Also, the front space frame is a special piece of kit, not properly repairable except with special skills. If that is damaged, cut, or has been "repaired" - run away.

If you are really serious about doing this, get a copy of the official Jaguar Spare Parts Catalogue. It shows every part of the car in blown up form and makes a good (dis)assembly guide:
Jaguar Spare Parts Catalog E type series 1 2 Grand Touring - bidStart (item 17201798 in Collectibles & Ephemera... European Vehicles)

You are looking at a multi-year project. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Due to the value of these cars, there is a thriving spares industry. I would think it almost possible to assemble a complete E-type from spares except for things like the engine and some trim items. However, assembling using new spares will be impossibly expensive, so you will need to find used parts as well and refurb them, like an XJS rear suspension for the cage, and hubs/trunnions, and so on, but the wishbones and drive shafts will be of a different length, so you will need genuine E-type ones for these parts, (although old 1960s S-type parts may be the same).
The front subframes are available new, don't use used ones as they rust from the inside and can be dangerous. Front suspension items are available, it is a torsion bar spring system.

I have to say I agree with other answers that starting with a bare tub is really a very hard way to end up with an E-type on-the-road. Of course, if you have the money, you can do it.