F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

2018 F-Pace - What service to do before warranty period ends?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 F-Pace - What service to do before warranty period ends?

Hi all,
I’m rapidly approaching the 5 year anniversary of purchasing my 2018 F-Pace. Aside from an infotainment system that often seems possessed, I’m still very much in love with it. And my miles are still quite low (40,000 mi).

At my last service at the dealership, they mentioned I should stop by before the end of the warranty period to check the battery, in case it’s no longer holding a full charge, so that it could still be replaced under the warranty.

Which leads to my question: is there anything else I should have them check out to make sure it’s covered before the warranty ends in a few weeks?

I’ve already asked them about the persistent creaks / rattles / groans coming from the roof whenever I’m not on roads that aren’t glass-smooth, but they claim that sort of stuff is only covered for the first year.

Related question: Given my mileage, would you recommend getting an extended warranty at this point? I’m fortunate to have a good independent Jag service shop close by so I may roll the dice without a warranty since I won’t have to frequent the dealership if something goes wrong in the future.

Thank you!

Old 11-11-2023, 05:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,813 Likes on 12,176 Posts

I wonder where you are .......

Warranty terms and conditions vary across JLR World markets. Servicing schedule items are standard everywhere but certain items are highlighted for more frequent attention in particularly hot or dusty climates. There's a reason we ask members to include Location details in their profile.

The low mileage means your vehicle should have been serviced on a time basis - every 12 months. On the fifth anniversary it will be due the 80K Miles/60 Month service schedule. One of the items in this is Check for any applicable outstanding service actions or recalls and I would seek assurance from the Service Manager this is definitely done before your warranty ends and you perhaps then go elsewhere for servicing and repairs. The reaction to the persistent creaks / rattles / groans is far short of good customer service. Have you been sufficiently assertive with your complaint?

If you are a DiY'er, I wouldn't even consider extended warranty and much the same if you intend to use an independent. The warranty almost locks you into dealer servicing. If you're comfortable with the additional costs of this route then the peace of mind is worth it. A big factor is how long you intend to keep the vehicle.

Graham

Old 11-11-2023, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Agree with the above. They should do a thorough inspection, service and checks. Update software. Investigate any codes or issues. Then you should have many more happy years out of it!

Old 11-11-2023, 01:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GGG
I wonder where you are .......

[snip]

The reaction to the persistent creaks / rattles / groans is far short of good customer service. Have you been sufficiently assertive with your complaint?

If you are a DiY'er, I wouldn't even consider extended warranty and much the same if you intend to use an independent. The warranty almost locks you into dealer servicing. If you're comfortable with the additional costs of this route then the peace of mind is worth it. A big factor is how long you intend to keep the vehicle.
Thanks for the responses so far!

Oops. I just updated my location.

Re the creaks & groans: I should clarify. If I recall correctly, because it was later than 12 months they said they’d charged me $250 to investigate the issue. And if they found something clearly defective (which they thought would be unlikely) then yes it would be covered under warranty. But if they couldn’t find anything “warranty worthy” then I’d be stuck with the $250 bill to investigate the issue. I think they gave me a copy of the warranty that supposedly proved this policy; I’ll have see if I can dig that up now.

But your point is valid; perhaps I should be a little more assertive. I’ve spoken with the dealership general manager in the past on a different issue, so I’ll reach out to him again to try one more time.

When you say “this route” do you mean paying for an extended warranty? This is gonna be my car for a number of years to come, unless things start going really wrong with it. I enjoy it and given the pricing and availability in the auto market right now I’m not in the mood to hunt for anything new.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 01:48 PM
GGG
Received 16,813 Likes on 12,176 Posts

I was driving my Jaguar in North Yorkshire this afternoon. I wish I'd been driving it in SoCal. Good to see your location.

As it's going to be a "keeper", this possibly makes the decision harder.

I would go for extended warranty if intending to continue with dealer servicing. As a paying customer, they are on your side and consequently push that bit harder to make JLR pickup a repair bill rather than you. If you go independent for servicing and repairs at the end of the warranty period, the dealer really has no incentive to be proactive.

Although the warranty terms are carefully worded by the legal eagles, a lot of what the dealer and/or JLR will pay for is to do with leverage. A good customer who spends money at the dealership on maintenance and repairs and is likely to buy another vehicle is worth looking after.

You would be exceptionally unlucky to have a major component failure on the 30t but need to consider how you would handle the worst case scenario of an engine or transmission failure. These are seriously big ticket items. Only you know which of the extremes the answer lies - it would keep me awake at night and I couldn't throw that amount of money at the vehicle OR I'd only worry about that if it happens.

Graham

Old 11-12-2023, 01:51 AM
Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I would trade it in for a CPO S. You get a better car with better features and a way better motor with the CPO extended warranty.