F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Anti theft F Pace SVR 2019

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti theft F Pace SVR 2019

Hi all,
Our son’s F Pace was stolen from the street recently by breaking the glass in the rear window and then somehow being driving off.
The tracker went dead after 15 mins at which point it was presumed that the car was driven into a container. The insurance paid up almost immediately.
Restoring my XK120FHC, in addition to a fairly visible and driver accessible battery cut off switch (safety rather than security) I am fitting a hidden cut off switch on the feed to the fuel pump, both for safety and security. It is very simple on this basic electrics car.
This seems like a good idea for his next F Pace. However modern electrics are a lot more sophisticated.
Does anyone know if cutting off the power to the fuel pump just prior to locking and leaving the car (a 2019 F Pace SVR) would have any collateral damage to any of the rest of the electric/electronics when switched on again, or additionally whether there could be any other ramifications, for example error codes coming up?
Thanks
Simon

Old 07-07-2021, 02:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Modern electrics are complex and with that comes a fear. I have also thought of what way i could immobilise a modern car.
On my 72 mini i have 3 self latching relays 1 for the fuel pump (shock, its a modified mini) 1 for the ignition and 1 for the starter itself. These are latched by 2 switches which both need to be hit at the same time - I will let you into a secret - its 1 switch feed by the break peddle lol. when you turn the ign off the relays reset.
Anyway to do a similar thing on and F-Pace could get messy, unless a fault i had on my A6 is replicated, rather than mess with the complex electrics themselves fit a switch like you say to the power that feeds the relay that fires up the engine can bus.
That way you are not messing with the electrics just preventing them from turning on. On my A6 the relay became faulty and the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, scary..
I haven't as yet got into topix to find out where this is yet on the F-Pace.
Good luck

Old 07-07-2021, 05:29 AM

Appreciate your reply, Stewart.
I hope others join in the discussion too.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:14 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Car thieves break the rear window so that they can quickly pull down the rear headliner and disconnect/disable the satellite transpoder in the shark fin antenna. Once the satellite link is broken, it's very difficult to find the vehicle. Installing a cut-off switch or immobolizer is not full-proof either, as many stolen vehicles are simply towed away on a flat bed truck.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:25 AM

That's very informative.
This car is often parked in a row of cars on the road so it would be cumbersome (but not impossible!) to pull it out sideways to get in onto a flatbed.
I'm just thinking that every little bit helps and as another contributor has pointed out, if the thief gets a short distance down the road and it stalls, they're likely to run off and go for easier meat.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:58 AM

Another idea i had was to install a defib into the drivers seat electrode (metal stud below cloth) for each butt cheek? - of course i would also add audio from an auto shock device
" shock will be delivered in 3...2...1"

or a 1 way valve on the breaks that could be switched in and out.
still doesn't stop a car from being physically lifted but again working in R&D i was thinking of an intelligent device, one that has its own transmitter - switches off when stationary - this way it remains hidden when being scanned for said device.
I am aware crooks use blockers to get to a safe location then scan and remove any coms devices.

maybe we will tease something out here?

Old 07-09-2021, 03:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

While I don't have this in my wife's 2019 F Pace, I do have it in my 05 Saleen and 73 Mustang.

Yes, you can still tow it. but no way are you going to start it.

https://www.ravelco.com/

Old 07-10-2021, 01:05 AM

Very sophisticated indeed.
Does it have to be so complicated to achieve a secret immobiliser in a modern car?

Old 07-10-2021, 09:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mourier
Very sophisticated indeed.
Does it have to be so complicated to achieve a secret immobiliser in a modern car?
Unfort,I would say yes.

Normal alarms are ignored by the public and other kill switches can be bypassed. So if they want my car with the Ravelco they;re going to have to tow it and once they get it they'll
never get it started.

Old 07-10-2021, 12:15 PM
Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mpbfpace
While I don't have this in my wife's 2019 F Pace, I do have it in my 05 Saleen and 73 Mustang.

Yes, you can still tow it. but no way are you going to start it.

https://www.ravelco.com/
My dad has one of this in his 1972 VW Beetle back in the 70s. It's simple to operate, take the cap off & the device is activated. To de-activate just align the cap to the small holes (male to female connectors) & press inwards. You can now start the engine. This is just an immobilizer, no siren & no remote control (purely mechanical). I can't remember the brand of the devise my Dad has but I knew it was colored gray

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 07-10-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
My dad has one of this in his 1972 VW Beetle back in the 70s. It's simple to operate, take the cap off & the device is activated. To de-activate just align the cap to the small holes (male to female connectors) & press inwards. You can now start the engine. This is just an immobilizer, no siren & no remote control (purely mechanical). I can't remember the brand of the devise my Dad has but I knew it was colored gray
in fairness all you need to get a beetle going is 1 wire - like wise all you need to stop a modern motor is 1 wire