F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Cilajet Orange Peel Look

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cilajet Orange Peel Look

All -
I purchased a 2021 F-Pace in Sept 2021. They said the car came with Cilajet already applied which meant I had no choice and had to pay for that as part of purchase. I noticed a wavy orange peel look and scuff marks so they redid the coating. Scuff marks disappeared but the orange peel look is still all over the car. They said - that's just how it looks. Anyone else have this problem or get this kind of BS response? If so, have you had it fixed through them? Other detailer? Recommend removing?
Thanks!

Old 01-28-2022, 11:40 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

"I had no choice and had to pay for that as part of purchase"

Never heard of that before. You always have a choice. I have never heard of paint protection being applied before the sale. What aren't you telling us?

Last edited by StuG; 01-28-2022 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:00 PM

This doesn't address my question. And clearly you have no clue as given the shortage of vehicles, there was no negotiating which usually gets you under MSRP. The car was the only one on the lot, it had all that I wanted and color but the Cilajet was already applied and showed up on the purchase agreement.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:02 PM
Default Cilajet Orange Peel Look

Can anyone with knowledge about Cilajet or have had a similar experience reply to this? I don't need another sarcastic reply like the first one.
Thanks

Old 02-12-2022, 12:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchased my 2021 SVR back in Sept 2021 as well, and the dealership did the ceramic coating on the car as well. Not sure which brand it was but they did tell me that they did it to all their new vehicles as a courtesy to the customers. Didn't have to pay extra for it. They did try to sell the package for paint protection(re apply of ceramic once a year, ding removal, window crack replacement and wheel / tires protection) during the purchase process. ceramic coating isn't suppose to have a yellow tint. The yellow tint is prob coming from your paint clear coat itself. They should've done a paint correction before applying the ceramic coat if they saw the orange peel. type, "how to get rid of ceramic coating" on YouTube and you will find a lot of videos showing how to get rid of it properly. Tell the dealer that you are going to do a paint correction and then apply the CC back for free since they didn't do it properly (specially you paying for it).

So sorry you had to deal with dealership nonsense. But yeah... they have so much power due to chip shortages.. asking 20k over MSRP is just robbery, but it seems like it's the norm these days.

If you live/ have equipment to wax your car, I highly recommend doing it yourself. if you send it to a shop to do the waxing, they will most likely do the bare minimum, or they will charge you a lot if you ask them to do a paint correction (it does take time...)

I will leave the steps and products you can use (if do a little bit of research you can find many others; this is just what I use) in case you want to do it yourself.

1. Start early in the morning as this is going to take some time!! wash your car. (2 bucket system, if not do you best to keep your **** clean)
2. dry it (duh? haha)
3. grab a beer (cause ***** about to go down)
4. clay bar / or clay towel (if your paint feels smooth then you can skip this, but i highly recommend doing this)
5. buffing time!! its best to use a buffing machine.. so much faster and deeper shine (i use a battery powered one cause of no outlet where my car rests... its best to buy the cord version unless you are willing to buy 2 extra battery packs... worst thing is having no power halfway through your waxing)..

I usually use 2 different compounds for waxing.

first wax: Meguiar's G17220 Ultimate Compound, Color & Clarity Restorer, Scratch & Swirl Remover
Amazon Amazon

second wax: Meguiar's G19220 Ultimate Polish
Amazon Amazon

6. paste wax
: meguiar's g210608 Ultimate Paste Wax (do not overcoat this... very light use)
Amazon Amazon

YOU ARE DONE MY FRIEND.. sit back, relax, grab a beer and watch the sunset over your mirror like paint.. enjoy the view.

btw... im not associated w Meguiar nor paid to promote their products... haha
Like I said before, you can find a lot of good videos about other products on youtube. Try checking out Chemical guys, Pan the organizer and AMMO nyc
chemical guys and AMMO sells their own products as well. Also heard turtle wax has some new products that are amazing.

p.s.: pads that i recommend https://www.carsupplieswarehouse.com...30858832019525

Hope this fixes your problem. If you still see the orange peel after applying the CC, then now you know its coming from the CC, which means the dealer is using some cheap *** CC and not a brand like Cilajet. (They are lying to ya. ask for the bottle that they used... it will most likely be some cheap *** brand that nobody uses)

Honestly, Jaguar factory paint job is not the best.. so doing this will make your car look so much nicer... deep and rich color compare to stock.(specially black) So it's a win win.

The following users liked this post:
krmljag (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 10:09 AM

Thank you for the very helpful reply!

Old 02-17-2022, 12:41 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Sorry if you perceived my post to be sarcastic (saying one thing while meaning the opposite), but you did have the choice of walking away from this deal if the paint job was less than satisfactory.

Orange peel is usually in the clear coat. Ceramic coating can/may make it look worse due to its depth of gloss.

The ceramic coating needs to be removed and then the clear coat needs to be polished or sanded back until the finish is smooth. Depending upon the amount of clear coat that needs to be removed, the clear coat may need to be resprayed ($$$).

JLR should have fixed this before the dealer had the Cilajet applied.

Hope this helps.

Stu