F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Jaguar neutered the 2021 SVR

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar neutered the 2021 SVR

The 2021 SVR (USA) is noticeably quieter then the 2020 model and I'm searching for suggestions on how to fix it. There's someone over on the FPace forums who did a resonator delete but its hard to tell how it really sounds and I would prefer to keep things as stock as possible. That being said, I'm aware of the Gas Particulate Filter and have confirmed through the spec sheet that it comes standard even on the U.S. models where they're not required. Can these be removed? They are not required to pass emissions here in the US. In addition, I saw someone mention removing a fuse in the fuse box that could help open up the exhaust in dynamic. Does anyone know if this is possible in the FPace? I've included a diagram of the fuse box for reference. If the resonator delete is my best bet then I will go that route but I wanted to explore all options first

Old 08-02-2021, 08:17 PM

I’ve got a 21 SVR in Hakuba Silver - Ive noticed the difference in volume as well. In addition, recently after some service, I’ve noticed that the pops and crackles have been occurring much less often. Makes me worried that there was a software update that made it more muted. I’m interested in exploring some of the options to fix it. I don’t necessarily want to go with a full exhaust setup, but a resonator delete wouldn’t be too bad. I’m hoping there is a fuse that can be pulled similar to the F-Types.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:45 PM

Really? There's not that many pops and bangs to begin with I'm not sure why they'd remove them. Makes me hesitant to take mine in for service. After doing some testing this weekend I figured out one of the reasons why the exhaust is so quiet. If you turn your vehicle on and put it into dynamic with the valves open you can shine a flashlight down the exhaust pipe and you'll notice that the valves stay closed. The exhaust is programmed so the valves only open up when you really get on the throttle and even then the valves will revert back to partially closed as soon as you let off. Do a couple full throttle pulls and then pull over without turning the vehicle off and you'll notice the valves are only open about half an inch. So another thing we could try doing is removing the valves completely but then we wouldn't have the option of quieting it down when we feel like it. That being said, I feel like the resonator delete is probably the best route.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:10 PM

I’ve heard removing the resonator can make the exhaust sound raspy. I’ve found some YouTube videos of a 21 with a res delete but it’s hard to tell over a video. Im most intrigued by the idea of pulling a fuse or disconnecting the wires to the valves in order to force them to remain open. I’ve looked through the manual as well as the sheet found in the passenger footwell fuse box, however I have been unable to find anything specifically relating to the valves. As far as the change in the exhaust sound after taking it to the dealer, I’ve noticed that when letting off between 3200 and 3700 RPM it no longer crackles like it used to. It could be due to some other factor, however my mind jumped to a software update after hearing what happened to the old F-Types. If anyone has any input on ways to keep the valves open it would be seriously appreciated.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:33 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow!
The sound is a big part of the SVR!

does the 2020 sound much more aggressive than the 2021?
Can a software update really lower the sound of the exhaust?

Old 08-05-2021, 01:12 AM
Received 272 Likes on 189 Posts

Our 2020 SVR sounds incredible. Almost as loud as my 2014 F Type V8S. It's my wife's car, but she loves the way it sounds and in fact I was on the phone with her yesterday when she got on it and I could hear it really well over the phone and she was giggling.

Yes, software update really does lower the sound and reduces the crackles and pops. Allows less fuel on overrun when you let off throttle and reduces the exhaust valve opening.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:45 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Our 2020 SVR sounds incredible. Almost as loud as my 2014 F Type V8S. It's my wife's car, but she loves the way it sounds and in fact I was on the phone with her yesterday when she got on it and I could hear it really well over the phone and she was giggling.

Yes, software update really does lower the sound and reduces the crackles and pops. Allows less fuel on overrun when you let off throttle and reduces the exhaust valve opening.
Is the exhaust software update for 2021 models only? Or something I should worry about (and advise my service advisor to not apply to my 2020)?

Old 08-10-2021, 07:16 PM

Considering a velocityap tune as they can open the valves and add more crackles and pops. I'm willing to be the guinea pig as I've yet to find anyone on the forums who's ran a VAP tune with an F-Pace SVR.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:42 PM
Received 151 Likes on 81 Posts

It's not Jaguar, it's the new regulationsNo tune or exhaust muffler is going to make the vehicles with the GPF's loud in comparison to the loud F-Type SVR everyone is accustomed too, the GPF is the reasoning for the muted exhaust tone. Adding in pops and bangs will only grenade the catalyst faster and flag issues stating the GPF blocked, when in fact the GPF is only blocked because the catalyst had grenaded in front.

To get rid of the GPF, requires changing out the downpipes which house the catalyst and GFP. Installing our VAP downpipes and tune will bring the +2021 5.0L cars and even the 3.0L platforms back to being a loud beast.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (08-12-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
It's not Jaguar, it's the new regulationsNo tune or exhaust muffler is going to make the vehicles with the GPF's loud in comparison to the loud F-Type SVR everyone is accustomed too, the GPF is the reasoning for the muted exhaust tone. Adding in pops and bangs will only grenade the catalyst faster and flag issues stating the GPF blocked, when in fact the GPF is only blocked because the catalyst had grenaded in front.

To get rid of the GPF, requires changing out the downpipes which house the catalyst and GFP. Installing our VAP downpipes and tune will bring the +2021 5.0L cars and even the 3.0L platforms back to being a loud beast.
That's what I thought initially due to the spec sheet that I saw but apparently that is wrong because in a thread over on the fpaceforum a new SVR owner posted this screenshot. It does make sense to me though because if you fully get on the throttle it still sounds like there is a chainsaw in your backseat just with reduced crackles and pops. Whereas in the european 2020 model it is extremely muted in the video that I watched. That being said, I believe that the valves stay closed most of the time until you get on it but then they close back up as soon as you let off. If that is the case then you guys should have no problem tuning it through the software correct?
Link to exhaust sound on Euro 2020 model w/GPF:

Old 08-11-2021, 07:47 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP

you reference the 3.0L.
Does this mean you can make my 2016 XJL Portfolio V6 3.0 sound louder?

Old 09-21-2022, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by gearFX
Is the exhaust software update for 2021 models only? Or something I should worry about (and advise my service advisor to not apply to my 2020)?
Yes this. Just drove home my 2020 Saturday and love the sound. About the only thing I would change is that the car memorize the last exhaust config so if I pull in with it open it starts open the next time. But either way I don't want it muffled by any software update.