F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Jump Starting Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jump Starting Battery

Just had a miserable experience at the airport with my 2017 F-Pace. Returned from vacation to find my battery completely dead. Used the mechanical key to pop open the door and get in the cabin. I left the non-automatic lights on and had a device plugged into the USB port.

The airport shuttle tried to jump me, followed by a tow truck. Interior lights came on as well as entertainment screens, but just a click when we went to turn the key. Read over the owner's manual, mentioned nothing special to jumping aside from an interesting note that there's a battery discharge protection that should've kicked in to save my battery (but apparently didn't). Left it on jumpers over 5 minutes, still no start, but a few more lights started working.

Ended up getting it towed home. Does anybody know if there's a problem with these AGM batteries that they won't jump start if over-discharged? Going to try putting on a charger and see if I can put it back to life and then call dealership and/or attempt to replace if that fails. Any clue why the battery saver didn't work?

Old 06-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant find a way to edit, but I wanted to make a correction:
Since it's an electric start you don't "turn the key" as I said, you hold the key backside on the steering column and press the start button. If you don't put the backside on the steering column, since you manually unlocked it, it displays a message about needing the key.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

They should jump start but I have found it's best to try and charge for about 10 mins before kicking over. It's a problem with all JLR vehicles my F-Pace does it my wife Freelander did it and her range rover evoque also does they don't always fully shut down and the battery drains, my F-Pace just about started at the airport after 10 days away. My wifes freelander would do it after two days I found that if she was on the phone when the car was stopped and then got out of the car before closing the call the infotainment stayed live killing the battery, luckily I did a firmware upgrade of the Audio head and that fixed it. I think because of cost the batteries are only just man enough for the job they have and that is half of the problem, I only do short runs most weeks and some days it will do five miles a day for three days and get left for maybe four days when I get in it I immediately get the message Low battery start engine. I bought a battery conditioner from CTEK who make the one Jaguar sell and I use that every couple of weeks. I was recommended that by a XK owner who only uses his car at weekends.