F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Rattle / Vibration fix** Service Bulletin out NOW

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 09:47 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I have my car scheduled for this Friday to have the TSB addressed. Let's see how that goes! i just hope that they will have the right foam parts, etc. available to get it all completed that same day.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:02 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
So it appears that mine at 27733 was one of the first off the line that was done right (maybe).
Whereas mine in the 29 range was apparently not...the inconsistency continues!

Old 10-20-2015, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

So it appears that mine at 27733 was one of the first off the line that was done right (maybe).
That's a poor choice of words since most of the cars from K00000 on have been rattle and vibration free. I can't produce a rattle or vibration in K08XXX at any tolerable volume, any bass or sub settings up to 70%, and I've tested many selections very heavy on the bass.

The most logical explanation is a QC problem, stemming from either from assembly variability, parts variability, or some combination of both. If it is a QC issue, even the TSB fix can be done "wrong," as can whatever changes they implemented on the assembly line after K27XXX.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-20-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
Whereas mine in the 29 range was apparently not...the inconsistency continues!
That's too bad. Sorry to hear that!

Old 10-20-2015, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's a poor choice of words
The word choice was perfect. The conclusion was flawed, but qualified (note: maybe).

Old 10-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

The word choice was perfect. The conclusion was flawed, but qualified (note: maybe).
LOL . . . OK "perfect" but already contradicted by numerous problem reports from cars done "right," not to mention hundreds and hundreds of "perfect" cars not done "right."

Old 10-23-2015, 08:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Took my 2016 Type R in a couple of days ago after coordinating with customer service JNA as they were going to have an engineer there. They have already replaced the amplifier and both sub-woofers with no improvement for the blown bass type of sound. Get a call back from the service adviser stating the engineer listened to the problem and basically that is the way the car is. Reminded him of the current Service bulletin (all 18 pages) and it seemed as if the engineer had not heard of it. I had the service adviser print it out and give it to him. Get a call back from the service adviser who states the engineer states my noise problem not a rattle ( I agree) and not vibrations (I disagreed). The dealership has been great and it appears that they are going to install the kit will know for sure on Monday. This is a big deal for me as I put on a lot of miles and like my music.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:23 PM

So I got a call back from the dealer today and they noted that my 2016 already had the updates to the doors and subwoofer areas done at the factory, apparently. The current US TSB does indeed cover on 2014-15 models according to my service advisor despite my VIN being in the range.

Thus, in my case, this won't help with the blown speaker sound. I'll confirm when I pick up my car tomorrow. I suppose I'm SOL and will just have to get a small powered sub for the trunk since I don't want to modify the car much since it's leased.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got my 2015 V8-S convertible back from the dealership today from its 1 year service, repaint of the rocker panels after they chipped (for a second time) and the TSB on the door panels and subwoofer area. The soundsystem finally sounds like a 100K car should sound. They did a great job and used the entire kit. Do not let your dealer skimp and only use bits and pieces of the kit.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:08 PM

Parts just came in for mine (2016 R) hope this fix the blown bass sounds which could be vibrations not a rattle. Do you know how many hours it took to complete the job?
thanks

Old 10-31-2015, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

This shouldn't be a problem, i.e. the fix that JLR has put into place. My friend just had his '16 F-type 8 completed, and is happy as a clam! Went to my dealer in NJ, and they did exactly the same to his as they did to mine. He was very, and I mean extremely pleased with the results, as was I.

So, no dealer should refuse to fix this for you
No dealer should skimp on anything
Pick your 5 or so "worst sounding base,rattle, vibrating eargasm, and use it as the pilot check with the dealer. Settings should be aggressvie, i.e. beyond what you normally would push the unit to for a more satisfied result, by amplifying a bit (no pun intended) the problem for everybody's understanding and results driven benefit.
Go back after they say it is fixed, and use the same 5 songs, and settings.
Remember, there may be a small rattle or two, but the songs you pick should be the "worst" of the "worst", i.e. Billy Myers "kiss the rain", which in production, the opening is "BASE, BASE, BASE", and only a good stereo could handle this flawlessly. My F-Type handles it now like a charm!!! (Never though you would hear me right this LOL!!!!)

Good luck, don't agonize, and get to your dealer with the fix in mind. No dealer should tell you anything else but what is posted here, in that changing speakers, amp's, etc., is a guess and won't get to the belly of the beast!

Old 10-31-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by slojotaa
This shouldn't be a problem, i.e. the fix that JLR has put into place. My friend just had his '16 F-type 8 completed, and is happy as a clam! Went to my dealer in NJ, and they did exactly the same to his as they did to mine. He was very, and I mean extremely pleased with the results, as was I.
It's interesting that his '16 was able to have the TSB done. My '16 was apparently already corrected--but the sound is still terribly on certain bass notes (drum beats).

Old 10-31-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by McGriddle
It's interesting that his '16 was able to have the TSB done. My '16 was apparently already corrected--but the sound is still terribly on certain bass notes (drum beats).
Yeah, same here unfortunately, still chasing a warranty (but non-TSB) fix for mine. 19th November is my next milestone to look forward to for speaker replacement (even though I know this won't help...), I await a happy result...

Old 10-31-2015, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

This is speaking to the fact that there are two separate problems in the wild which have been amalgamated into one by the owner community.

One is rattling components, fixed by foam and tape in the TSB. The other is muffled sound / blown bass which is probably caused by bad audio crossover from the head unit.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:29 PM

Fair point Nati, I'm squarely in the latter camp. We'll see if it ever gets sorted...

Old 10-31-2015, 10:22 PM

Good points Nati and CaptainHam. I'm in the latter camp as well. For now, I simply don't have the time to revisit the dealer and hope for some sort of correction.

I just picked up a Kicker 8" Hideaway powered sub that I'm going to place in the trunk. Just need to find someone to install it since getting to the speaker wires for the subs seems like a pain since I don't have the workshop manual.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by McGriddle
As for the TSB, don't want to mislead anybody. His '16 was fixed in the same way that mine was, since the unit sounded "HORRIBLE". The TSB messaging and fix "by foam/Dynomat" is something that was initially started by a few of us in the JLR community, who as you all know on the forum wouldn't let go. We were driven like rabid dogs to get this resolved, and get it recognized that this is a problem. Having a TSB as a result of people constructively speaking is a great outcome, but the 16 surprised me. I just think the problem/fix/stereo issue(s) were a fix that warranted the same actions as my 15 did. I do know that JLR NA used my cars scenario and "fix" as a way of informing corporate that "Houston, we have a problem here". They were terrific to work with when they realized that a) - I wanted to work with them to fix it, and b) - they sent an engineer out to listen and he recognized that it was real as well. They sent all of the reports in, up to and including the wonderful way that the dealership and engineer fixed it to my liking by doing this or that to the vehicle. We were all driven to a result, and we achieved it together. I subsequently sent several people with the problem to the same dealer who performed my fix and they were equally satisfied, as was the owner of the 16 that I referenced.

In summary, his was possibly fixed by elements of the TSB, but my assumption is that the TSB for the rattle is the same fix that they performed for me in getting my unit to a "decent" sounding result as it should of. His sounds good now and he is happy, whether under the umbrella of a formalized TSB fix, or not. They are both cousins, my fix and the subsequent TSB for sure.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
They sent all of the reports in, up to and including the wonderful way that the dealership and engineer fixed it to my liking by doing this or that to the vehicle. We were all driven to a result, and we achieved it together.
Agreed. Likewise I gave them my car for two days back in April. The tech was asked to take extensive photography and detailed everything he went through. The total submission was many pages.

Glad to see they finally came good on this.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

this is really great, as this has been in these forums for-ever! great news...

Old 11-02-2015, 08:02 PM

Just got my 2016 R back today after they got the parts for the Service Bulletin. Unfortunately for me zero improvement still have that blown bass vibration sound. The service advisor stated that my car had most of the kit already installed from the factory they only added a few pieces. They have been great to work with and hope Jag Customer Service who also has been great calling me just about every week for updates may come up with something. This is my daily driver and I love music and when I think about driving a car with a MSRP of $116 and I can't use the stereo it is pretty upsetting.

Quick Reply: **Rattle / Vibration fix** Service Bulletin out NOW