F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Rattle / Vibration fix** Service Bulletin out NOW

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Marty, that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Wonder if they would consider replacing the head unit?

Old 11-03-2015, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Others will chime in, but the subwoofers in the F Type are free standing, meaning that they aren't enclosed so the sounds won't be as a tight vs subwoofers are enclosed.

Sealed off or ported: the differences in subs and enclosures
I've just been looking at the Sound System in the parts catalogue. The speakers behind the seats are described as "woofers" rather than "sub-woofers".

The doors have bass, and mid-range speakers...

Old 11-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Blown bass finally solved...

Well, I finally cured the subwoofer "blown bass" sound. I don't have the time or the will to wait for JLR to solve this issue for my 2016, so I went ahead and found a good solution that didn't take up much trunk space at all: Kicker's 8" Hideaway 150W powered sub, which has a sturdy all-aluminum (or should that be aluminium?) enclosure.

It rounds out the bass nicely, has solid "punch" and some nice lows. It's not enough to bother the neighbors, which isn't what I was looking for, but is impressive for a sub this size. My installer disconnected the stock 6" subs since they simply added some distortion when still connected.

No more muddy, blown bass for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by McGriddle:
CaptainHam (11-09-2015), slojotaa (11-10-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Good to know, thanks for the info. Sub looks compact enough to give several placement options.

I'm allowing at least one attempt for my dealer to resolve mine, booked in for next week.

Edit: oh, and it's definitely aluminium

Last edited by CaptainHam; 11-09-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

Just got my car back from getting this done. Stereo is much improved and now most of the squeaks and rattles gone.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:38 PM

Not related to the service bulletin, but the "blown bass" sound on my '16 model. Car is fresh back from the dealer after having the passenger side (left side) door speakers replaced.

The blown bass sound is now much less pronounced, so a partial success, but still an unacceptable level of vibration overall on certain tunes when taking the overall cost of the system into account.

So I'll be flagging it up with the dealer again but I expect I have a fight on my hands now.

I reckon some Dynamat in the doors will help massively, but I don't want to pay a 3rd party audio installer myself yet, at least not without fighting with the dealer first.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:00 AM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Just got my car back from getting this done. Stereo is much improved and now most of the squeaks and rattles gone.
Originally Posted by CaptainHam
Not related to the service bulletin, but the "blown bass" sound on my '16 model. Car is fresh back from the dealer after having the passenger side (left side) door speakers replaced.

The blown bass sound is now much less pronounced, so a partial success, but still an unacceptable level of vibration overall on certain tunes when taking the overall cost of the system into account.

So I'll be flagging it up with the dealer again but I expect I have a fight on my hands now.

I reckon some Dynamat in the doors will help massively, but I don't want to pay a 3rd party audio installer myself yet, at least not without fighting with the dealer first.
Would you mind listing exactly what the dealer said they fixed on their invoice? I'm going through similar pains with my dealer and I hope the additional info can help push things in the right direction and fix the audio rattle. Cheers.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:11 AM

For me, it was only speakers in the passenger door (RHD car). They ordered up all 3 but said they'd only replace the ones that were faulty (they didn't tell me if just one or all 3 ended up being replaced).

It's much better but not great; however they refused to fit Dynamat, then they stopped responding to my calls and emails when I kept pushing for more to be done.

The following users liked this post:
pistol (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 01:13 AM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

For me, it was only speakers in the passenger door (RHD car). They ordered up all 3 but said they'd only replace the ones that were faulty (they didn't tell me if just one or all 3 ended up being replaced).

It's much better but not great; however they refused to fit Dynamat, then they stopped responding to my calls and emails when I kept pushing for more to be done.
Thanks for the info.

They stopped taking your calls? Wow - that's some customer service... Have you brought this feedback to Jaguar directly?

Old 02-23-2016, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by pistol
Thanks for the info.

They stopped taking your calls? Wow - that's some customer service... Have you brought this feedback to Jaguar directly?
Lost interest for now, to be honest. I mostly drive with no radio on anyway as I enjoy the sound of the car so much!

I did get a feedback questionnaire from JLR shortly after the service visit (about that specific visit), and made my thoughts known, but no bites.

When I can be bothered, I'll get a USB playlist together and will push it again at the annual service in September (either at that dealer, or perhaps a totally different dealer an hour away).

I'm not in a hurry, although it does irk me because of the price of the option.

Last edited by CaptainHam; 02-23-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Downer

Lost interest for now, to be honest. I mostly drive with no radio on anyway as I enjoy the sound of the car so much!

I did get a feedback questionnaire from JLR shortly after the service visit (about that specific visit), and made my thoughts known, but no bites.

When I can be bothered, I'll get a USB playlist together and will push it again at the annual service in September (either at that dealer, or perhaps a totally different dealer an hour away).

I'm not in a hurry, although it does irk me because of the price of the option.

A question from a newbie, a bit tangent to this rattling issue:
I hear the blown speaker sounds as well and will bring the car to the dealership to have them look at it. Beside the vibration of the panels, the "tweeter" on the driver side, just inside the left side view mirror sounded blown on certain songs. I had a 12 hours trip andarrhythmia-red in the face because I literally picked up the car of the lot and drove for 12 hours...with the unwanted nuisances!!

Then, I could not figure out how to turn off the radio, unless I switched it to another non-present media source or volume to zero. Please help and show me a way to turn it off
P.S. Own the car for 2 days now...

Old 03-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by NTAV
Then, I could not figure out how to turn off the radio, unless I switched it to another non-present media source or volume to zero. Please help and show me a way to turn it off
P.S. Own the car for 2 days now...
Press the volume knob on the center console to the right of the shifter. Turning it adjusts volume, pressing it turns it on or off.

The following users liked this post:
NTAV (03-03-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Crosspost: Just adding another data point for the archives. The meridian system in my just-assembled 2017 S sounds fantastic. Now, mind you, I test drove a 2016 that sounded like garbage - muffled, rattling, etc. I cranked some tunes to verify that mine was in the clear, breathed a sigh of relief, then promptly turned off the music and opened the exhaust.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:13 AM
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by pistol
Thanks for the info.

Similar to the other member... I received a call back (again) from JLR Customer care rep yesterday saying that he has been trying to get a hold of the Service manager for 2 weeks and hasn't received a reply. He said that he can see if they will do the fix, but said it is up to the shop if they will or won't do it since they are independent. I also left another message for the shop who hasn't returned my calls or e-mails.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 355rockit
Similar to the other member... I received a call back (again) from JLR Customer care rep yesterday saying that he has been trying to get a hold of the Service manager for 2 weeks and hasn't received a reply. He said that he can see if they will do the fix, but said it is up to the shop if they will or won't do it since they are independent. I also left another message for the shop who hasn't returned my calls or e-mails.
Great news! I received a call from the JLR rep today and he said he talked to one of the other managers since he could get a hold of the service manager and they agreed to order the parts and fix the rattle/vibration per the TSB. I am waiting for a call from the dealer shop on when I can bring in the car.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

My dealer has my car for this issue and told me my 2016 R had the TSB work completed at the factory. He's not sure why I have the problem. Doesn't sound (no pun) that a solution for non-TSB problems is well understood by Jaguar.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

OK, i just got my car back from the first service (Jaguar of Marin). The items i wanted fixed (in addition to the regular 1st service) was: rattling stereo (they sat with me and heard it/confirmed), the fuel filler replacement tube (gas pumps often shut off), the occasional rattle in the trunk when turning right up a driveway at slow speed (happens only once in a while, i could not replicate for them at the time of service), plus the O2 sensor reflash.

And the results...
- they had the car for 4 days
- fuel filler replacement is on back order
- nothing done on clunk in trunk, since could not replicate (still thought they would have inspected some of the known tsb items on this - lose battery, strut)
- said they performed the tsb on the stereo (yet paper work seems to indicate only to one door, for some reason...as the sound buzzes on both sides) and ZERO improvement. super disappointing.

i had the service manager sit back in the car (diff service manager from when i dropped it off) and he confirmed that it sounds horrible.

very disappointing, as i had got my hopes up from others on the forum.

I'll have to take this back up with them next week & likely time another attempt when the fuel filler tube is in stock.

i had also unsuccessfully gained the assistance of JLR prior to going in for this service...all responses were to 'take it up with the dealer'. there had been a post to reach out to someone prior to your service visit. that did not work for me.

i continue to be thrilled with the car as a whole, but this stereo issue is really a nagging issue that they seem to be not stepping up to the plate on.

i had a 2014 XF as a courtesy car and ironically, it had the same stereo as mine (380w meridian, although mine is a 2015) and it sounded fantastic! certainly having a bigger cabin to work with helps on the overall sound, i get that, but zero rattling/buzzing.

all i want it a stereo that does not buzz the heck out of my ears. it's really annoying.

i'll keep everyone updated and continue to watch this post.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member

What the hey happened with QA/QC at Jaguar for all these cars to be shipped with poor stereo AFTER the tsb fix. Mine could be heard the minute the stereo was turned on. Frustrating.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
What the hey happened with QA/QC at Jaguar for all these cars to be shipped with poor stereo AFTER the tsb fix. Mine could be heard the minute the stereo was turned on. Frustrating.
That is a question that has vexed many of the long-term F-Type forum members for several years now. In the beginning, we discussed this endlessly and figured, oh well, it's a new model, they'll get it sorted soon enough. But now, we're in the 4th model year, and new owners are still reporting the same problems experienced with the first cars.

The crazy thing is, some cars are not only fine, they are very good. My base (built 9/13) w/ the 380w system sounds great now and always did from delivery. I've tried every possible way to make it rattle, buzz, or otherwise sound crappy, and I can't duplicate any of the reported problems.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Hard to understand Foosh. Followup call backs cost a lot of money, unless Jag gets it from the supplier of the bad part (maybe in the case of the stereo). There must be an underlying business agreement that creates this not understood process. I do QA/QC for my company and we try to eliminate systemamatic issues ASAP as they are costly to resolve after the fact.

Quick Reply: **Rattle / Vibration fix** Service Bulletin out NOW