F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16-17 Type R advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Rather oddly considering it will warn of low fuel level, tyre pressure, screen wash, coolant and brake fluid levels it doesn't automatically warn if low oil level.

As others have said a few clicks on menu on steering wheel before you start engine say once per week or after engine has been run (8 minute delay)

Will show oil level and add comment of ok, over filled or under filled and advise on amount to add when needed.

If you can get into a routine of checking tyre pressure and oil level once per week/ month depending on usage you won't have any problems.

Service interval including oil change is recommended as annually or 16,000 miles whichever first
Okay this is good, so a few clicks once a week will do (hopefully the gauge is accurate).

I take it the v6 or v8 don't burn oil any quicker than other comparable engines?

Old 03-07-2019, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
My recollection of problems reported here are:

Diff. failure (only a few)
Coolant leakage (only a few)
Speaker buzzing / rattling (common) - TSB issued that seems to have solved the problem for most.
Loss of exhaust flatulence (only a few) - Caused by TSB and subsequently solved for most with another TSB
Issues with vert top latching (very few)
Center vent failing to raise / lower (only a few)
Clutch slippage on V6 (common) - TSB issued that seems to have solved the problem.
Slow fuel filling (common) - TSB issued that seems to have solved the problem for most.
Excessive rear tire wear (mostly on 2WD versions )
Inability to remove stupid looking grin on owners (common)
Thank you for the roundup, have read about some of those early issues, hopefully 16-17 years have them worked out.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Overall, I've had far less problems with my F-Type than previously owned BMW's, Audi's and Toyota's. However, I will say that the F-Type gets driven far less than those vehicles so it's not entirely apples to apples.

At the end of the day, it's a manufactured car. Sometimes there are lemons that come off the line, but for the most part just do the normal maintenance and it will be fine. I will also add that maintenance is cheaper than owning a BMW M car.
Good to hear, I do love the look of the car (my wife more so) and have been very fortunate with Porsche and BMW, literally no issues on 1M, 991.1, 991.2, M2, Z4M (if you can believe it)...

Old 03-07-2019, 09:39 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

The only time my V6S has shown anything than a perfect oil level is when I changed the oil myself. So mine doesn't burn oil. But that doesn't mean that none of them do.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:29 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Diff. failure (only a few)
Coolant leakage (only a few)
Speaker buzzing / rattling (common) - TSB issued that seems to have solved the problem for most.
Loss of exhaust flatulence (only a few) - Caused by TSB and subsequently solved for most with another TSB
Issues with vert top latching (very few)
Center vent failing to raise / lower (only a few)
Clutch slippage on V6 (common) - TSB issued that seems to have solved the problem.
Slow fuel filling (common) - TSB issued that seems to have solved the problem for most.
Excessive rear tire wear (mostly on 2WD versions )

Ive hit a few of those, exhaust valves, fuel issue, speakers, vert top, center vent, but all been fixed fairly quick under Warranty

Old 03-07-2019, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
Ive hit a few of those, exhaust valves, fuel issue, speakers, vert top, center vent, but all been fixed fairly quick under Warranty
What exactly is the fuel issue?

Old 03-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Some cars had a problem accepting fuel meaning that the automatic cutoff at some stations would actuate early and often - Fuel would have to be nursed into those cars. There was a TSB for it. I've experienced it once or twice. After the TSB, it seems to be station related. 99.99% of the time I have no problems. I haven't seen it mentioned here in quite a while.

The OP reminded me of the exhaust valve issue. A few cars had a problem with the exhaust valve sticking or rattling. Covered under warranty.

I've got 40k on my car. Doesn't use oil. I had no major issues. I've had a few minor ones, center vent, seat heaters failed, cruise wouldn't engage, rattling speakers. All cheerfully and quickly fixed under warranty.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:02 PM

Some cars had a problem accepting fuel meaning that the automatic cutoff at some stations would actuate early and often - Fuel would have to be nursed into those cars. There was a TSB for it. I've experienced it once or twice. After the TSB, it seems to be station related. 99.99% of the time I have no problems. I haven't seen it mentioned here in quite a while.

The OP reminded me of the exhaust valve issue. A few cars had a problem with the exhaust valve sticking or rattling. Covered under warranty.

I've got 40k on my car. Doesn't use oil. I had no major issues. I've had a few minor ones, center vent, seat heaters failed, cruise wouldn't engage, rattling speakers. All cheerfully and quickly fixed under warranty.
Thanks, which year/model do you have?

Old 03-07-2019, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

As dogbreath mentioned, the e-diff on the V8S & RWD R is subject to occasional failure, particularly if over worked on the course or in snow. The LSD on the RWD V6S seems to be similarly inclined.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by .2pdk
Thanks, which year/model do you have?
You can see his year/model at the bottom of his post as with all engaged forum members. It avoids this question being asked and allows for more instantaneous response by our friendly (and often they are even knowledgable) forum members.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:02 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

<snip>
Have to pick you up on this one - it's not common, it's universal!

Old 03-07-2019, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
You can see his year/model at the bottom of his post as with all engaged forum members. It avoids this question being asked and allows for more instantaneous response by our friendly (and often they are even knowledgable) forum members.
Yes, my apologies, didn't catch it in abbreviated form, noob here...

Old 03-07-2019, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Have to pick you up on this one - it's not common, it's universal!
This is mostly why I'm looking at it, need something with a bit more visceral excitement than the German fare...

Old 03-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by .2pdk
What exactly is the fuel issue?

Car wouldn't want to fill up, go up to 3/4 tank and refuse to take more fuel. very very annoying, happened second hour of ownership, and with a car I fill up every three days, glad it got fixed quickly needed a new filler nozzle or something like that If I recall

Old 03-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I wish those signature blocks would appear on the mobile site.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 10:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

22k miles and no problems on a 17. And I do beat the crap out of it. Rock solid engine and transmission. I’ve had a few electronic glitches which go away after restarting car.