F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16' F-Type R.. lots of smoke on acceleration!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 16' F-Type R.. lots of smoke on acceleration!

Now, I just got an F-Type R. For a steal of a deal. Brand new from the dealership. Had 49 miles (a bit high but understandable since it might have sat for a few months)

Fast forward to today, the car now has 450 miles. Two things I've noticed..

There seems to be what sounds like sand in the speakers whenever music is playing, like a hiss/static on anything with a bit of bass.

Secondly, I was with a buddy yesterday on the highway, and he told me to get on it to hear the thing.

I figured one time won't do anything, so I drop it to 2nd.. at about 30mph and romp on it. Through 2nd and halfway through third.. I look behind me, and I see a lot of smoke, like whitish/blue. I thought.. "hmm.. maybe water in the exhaust".. we pull over a short time later.. no smoke when I'm 1/2 throttle or cruising. He walks up to me, and says "dang man, must be a lot of power since the smoke"..

Now one thing to note, the smoke is only at the time I step on it, it's not sustained aka following the car and billowing out as I go.. it's only on the moment of acceleration.

Something doesn't feel right. The car feels perfectly fine. No issues besides the audio buzzing (only way to fix is to completely turn down the "sub" slider)

Once again, I get on the highway... do it again.. and what do you know.. a lot of smoke out the exhaust again and moreso in the early gears such as 1st and 2nd. I know the car is supposed to be broken in, but this doesn't seem right, have only got WOT 3-4 times and each time. Light blue in color smoke..

I WILL be taking it into the dealer, but any ideas on what it could be?
Anyone have this?

Last edited by Ghostiest; 04-04-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:22 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I'll assume you had traction control on, or would notice if you smoked the tires.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

I get the same thing; comes from the tires! :-)

Dave

Old 04-04-2016, 02:32 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Blue smoke is oil. That's real bad.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
I'll assume you had traction control on, or would notice if you smoked the tires.
I have AWD. No traction loss.

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I get the same thing; comes from the tires! :-)

Dave
AWD :P

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
It's not blue per say, it's like a mix of white/blue/black really. Hard to explain, but mostly white/blue.

Another issue is this, if I go do the dealership, I basically have to romp on it in 1st or 2nd to get it to show up, yet I'm in break in stage. Remember, it's not sustained, once I'm going it doesn't follow, it turns clear/light black (like most cars)

Old 04-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

I was kidding; but FWIW, the AWD will certainly spin the tires. ....and my V8S will even with the traction control fully on.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-04-2016, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Was the car fully warmed up when you floored it? Way you describe the smoke, it doesn't look promising. Blue smoke is caused by oil getting past scraper rings and burning up. With that much oil burning off you will notice drop in the oil level at 1-2K miles.

Now, there could be benign reasons for the smoke. They are: a. Tires. b. Water vapor c. Evap purging; b and c are likely if the car sits a lot and weren't fully warmed up.

My immediate suggestion - get engine oil changed early (as soon as possible), then monitor oil level over next 5K miles. If oil level doesn't drop - you are in the clear as far as oil burning.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:45 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
This^.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Was the car fully warmed up when you floored it? Way you describe the smoke, it doesn't look promising. Blue smoke is caused by oil getting past scraper rings and burning up. With that much oil burning off you will notice drop in the oil level at 1-2K miles.

Now, there could be benign reasons for the smoke. They are: a. Tires. b. Water vapor c. Evap purging; b and c are likely if the car sits a lot and weren't fully warmed up.

My immediate suggestion - get engine oil changed early (as soon as possible), then monitor oil level over next 5K miles. If oil level doesn't drop - you are in the clear as far as oil burning.
The car has been fully warmed up. Was always drove for at least 30 min both times before hitting it. I just texted my friend for an update on what color the smoke was exactly so he can describe it to me, it's not like it's THICK smoke coming out of the exhaust, but pretty translucent although when it stacks on after 2-3 seconds of full WOT, it paints a clearer picture of the white/light blue color when looking in the rear view.

I feel like the car dead hooks in 2nd with the AWD.
And hmm, any way to check the current oil level?

I should take it to the dealer right?

EDIT:

Update
: I just went into the garage, and saw two drops of what looks like black fluid on my driveway. It's dried up though so it's not oil, I've only had the car about 2-3 days and it can't be older than that? Perfectly spaced out under the car. It came from the rear section under the cats.. perfectly lined up with the exhaust piping. Can oil turn to a black residue after a day or two?

Last edited by Ghostiest; 04-04-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ghostiest
And hmm, any way to check the current oil level?
Yes, there is a menu option to check oil level accessible through the steering wheel controls.

I should take it to the dealer right?
If your car is burning oil, the dealer won't be able to fix it without getting new engine or existing engine rebuilt. They won't do it until you go through break-in and oil consumption study. So there is no point bringing it up now.

I recommend you schedule oil change, wait until your car is out of break-in period then, if it burning oil, complain to the dealer.

Keep in mind, they will not easily agree to replace your engine. You have to be 100% sure it burns oil, or they WILL talk you out of it.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:04 PM

Yes, there is a menu option to check oil level accessible through the steering wheel controls.

If your car is burning oil, the dealer won't be able to fix it without getting new engine or existing engine rebuilt. They won't do it until you go through break-in and oil consumption study. So there is no point bringing it up now.

I recommend you schedule oil change, wait until your car is out of break-in period then, if it burning oil, complain to the dealer.

Keep in mind, they will not easily agree to replace your engine. You have to be 100% sure it burns oil, or they WILL talk you out of it.
Did you read my updated post above? Let me know what you think.

Also my buddy just texted me back. He was behind me when I hit it.. he said its 100% white smoke. 100%. I asked.. was there any baby blue/light blue, he said no.. 100% white. And I mean, I was going fast so maybe I wasn't fully paying attention.. but that's what he said. Although it still doesnt explain the two black liquid spots that have dried up beneath my car in the garage.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Update: I just went into the garage, and saw two drops of what looks like black fluid on my driveway. It's dried up though so it's not oil, I've only had the car about 2-3 days and it can't be older than that? Perfectly spaced out under the car. It came from the rear section under the cats.. perfectly lined up with the exhaust piping. Can oil turn to a black residue after a day or two?
Oil doesn't normally drip from exhaust. It could, if blow-by is really bad, materialize as oily residue on your bumper around exhaust.

This sounds like someone (maybe at the time of assembly) spilled some oil and this is what is burning off. Give it a week to burn off.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Also my buddy just texted me back. He was behind me when I hit it.. he said its 100% white smoke.
Then it is likely water vapor. You are OK.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

+1
And the 2 little drops are likely a bit of carbon from the cats mixed with water droplets. Sounds like much ado about nothing, but keep an eye on the oil level to be sure.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

What are you basing this statement off of? There are plenty of ways that retailer can diagnose an engine without replacing it. Retailers get paid based off the work they do.

To the OP:
I would bring it in for peace of mind. If anything does go south on you down the road, at least you will have a record of the concern that you brought up early in the cars' life.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:20 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

White smoke could be coolant. I'd check the coolant overflow tank to see if its oily/dirty at all or smells of exhaust (or if the coolant level drops over time).

Old 04-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I would bring it in for peace of mind. If anything does go south on you down the road, at least you will have a record of the concern that you brought up early in the cars' life.
+1. I complained about my clutch issue back in November when they claimed nothing was wrong. When I brought it in for a second complaint just recently, they weren't able to claim that I wore out the clutch prematurely since I already had the complaint on file back in November.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Most if not all the v8's drop black water out the exhaust.
If you look or feel under the exhaust you will find two holes where the water drops out of.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Any chance it was just cold out (condensation from warm exhaust)? You need to take it in anyway to get the speakers fixed. Mine do the same as do others on the forum. There is a TSB on the speaker issue.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Be very careful who you take advice from on forums. Not everyone is as knowledgeable or accurate as they may seem. If it concerns you, take it in.

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (04-05-2016)

Quick Reply: 16' F-Type R.. lots of smoke on acceleration!