F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 F-Type Convertible Stranded -- Neither Fob is recognized

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2014 F-Type Convertible Stranded -- Neither Fob is recognized

Went to get gas, turned F-type off. The DIC displayed 'place in N before starting'. Now thinks neither FOB works.

I've replaced FOB batteries although no mention of weak battery. F-Type keeps stating no FOB found. I place in the little area above OBDII port. I've tried at least 50 times over last several hours.

I can't find any way to get into the trunk manually even after searching manuals and google. I think if the battery could be disconnected then maybe ECM would reset and be ok.

Any help is appreciated. It's sitting at a gas station blocking pump. The closes dealer is about 30 miles away and does not open until 7 AM.

I know it will be expensive to tow and the dealer will most likely just need to use JLR tool to reset computers..

Thanks for suggestions.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by djyankees31
Went to get gas, turned F-type off. The DIC displayed 'place in N before starting'. Now thinks neither FOB works.

I've replaced FOB batteries although no mention of weak battery. F-Type keeps stating no FOB found. I place in the little area above OBDII port. I've tried at least 50 times over last several hours.

I can't find any way to get into the trunk manually even after searching manuals and google. I think if the battery could be disconnected then maybe ECM would reset and be ok.

Any help is appreciated. It's sitting at a gas station blocking pump. The closes dealer is about 30 miles away and does not open until 7 AM.

I know it will be expensive to tow and the dealer will most likely just need to use JLR tool to reset computers..

Thanks for suggestions.
Find someone with jumper cables to power the car from under the hood. You can then open the trunk and do a battery reset (1 minute battery disconnect)..

Old 11-10-2019, 04:27 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,082 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Not sure it will let him open the trunk if it never recognizes the key.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:11 PM

As DJS says, you cannot open trunk when the FOBs are recognized.

F-Type has new battery. But I still tried to jump start.

Here's what trigger the screw up.
I was driving and started the Torque app on my phone. I use it with the custom PID's found in the forum. When Torque started querying the F-Type a warning appeared on the DIC stating the BSM was not working. So I stopped the Torque app and continued to gas station. My thought was everything would reset after the car is turned off. But turning F-Type off was the death.

Any other ideas on getting into trunk? Is there a manual entry somewhere?

What is the tool that the JRL dealer will use to diagnose and reset the computer. Or worst case have to reprogram the keys to F-Type.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited by djyankees31; 11-10-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

You can access the Emergency release if you are willing to sacrifice the security panel ($$$$). Perhaps the dealer has a secret decoder ring for opening the trunk.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:41 PM

I don't want to tear the F-Type up. But the dealership has to have a secret decoder ring as you say. So, I'll be at the dealership tomorrow morning.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:55 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,082 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Do you still have a OBD dongle plugged in? Might try removing it, if so.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:58 PM

No I removed the OBD dongle as soon as I turned the car off and it started asking for a FOB.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:59 PM
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,423 Posts

I was driving and started the Torque app on my phone. I use it with the CAMBO custom PID's. When Torque started querying the F-Type a warning appeared on the DIC stating the BSM was not working. So I stopped the Torque app and continued to gas station. My thought was everything would reset after the car is turned off. But turning F-Type off was the death.

SO BEWARE of using Torque app with custom PID's.
The Torque App cannot sent any commands which could cause these problems.
Reading the custom PIDs is not different to reading the standard PIDs, and again it is only reading.

What is a possibility is that the ELM327 device you are using could have caused some issues on the CANbus, an issue with the device itself, not the App.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:11 PM

@Cambo,

I don't know the root cause. Just stating what happened. I have used the same ELM adapter for the last 4 years with Torque on 5 other vehicles. Just never with a custom PID of any kind with initialization such as atsp6\natsh7e0.

Do you have any advice or what tool the dealer will use to reset the F-Type? You seem to be one of the most knowledgeable people on the forum.

Thanks

Old 11-10-2019, 10:22 PM

What you wrote reads very much like you want to blame it on the custom PIDs in Torque App, using my name and the word beware in CAPS, but i'll try not to take it personally.

You first posts on this forum a couple of weeks back were asking about HP Tuners, has anything been done to this car tuning-wise, or any other modifications? A remote controller for the convertible top by any chance?

Blind Spot Monitoring and Keyless Vehicle Module are on MS-CAN network, the ELM327 does not even communicate with that network.

Gearshift module is on HS-CAN network, which the ELM327 does communicate with. (this would be related to the "select N before starting message" I guess)

The gateway between MS-CAN & HS-CAN is the Central Junction Box, if this takes a dump then the car is totally immobilised.

The dealer will use the SDD diagnostic tool. If they have some sense they might try the "Special Function - entire vehicle reset" routine, which resets both the CAN networks in the car.

I don't know of any aftermarket diagnostic tool that does this. But you can get the same result from disconnecting the battery.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:21 PM

@Cambo, I didn't even realize I had put your name in caps. Sorry, I have corrected the thread now. Definitely, nothing personal but seemed to be the initial cause. However, you know WAY more about the F-Type than I ever will.

No modifications or remote controller as the F-Type has been driving great since I got it. Thanks for explaining how all the networking components interact. I agree that a vehicle reset or battery disconnect will most likely reset security and I'll be good again.

Has to be the dumbest design to not have access to trunk with the emergency fob key.

Please accept my apology if it appeared I was attacking you.

Ps. I love the PIDs and have asked HP Tuners to add them for the VCM Scanner.

Last edited by djyankees31; 11-10-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:41 PM

I finally got the F-Type towed to the local Jaguar dealership. They have been stumped on what's wrong by using all of the JLR tools including SDD. They finally determine that the BCM was not on the network. They are not sure when it will be fixed and the F-Type is sitting outside in a back lot on wheel dollies as the emergency brake is still engaged even with trans force in 'N'. The Jaguar techs were so frustrated as they couldn't do anything with car.

I've put 154 miles on the F-Type before it dumped on me. So frustrating.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:58 PM

Here's the latest and last update. It all ends well.

The Hendrick Jaguar dealership quoted $1365 to replace the body control module (BCM) and labor. I told them to not do the work as I wanted to source the BCM which I did. However, I still believed that a reset of the BCM might work and didn't think the dealership tested that theory. The just tested with SDD and noticed the BCM was offline. Since we could not access the trunk and get to the battery it made it difficult. So on Friday, I went to the dealership and got my keys from the service department. I remove the panel in passenger foot well, metal bracket, pulled back the carpet where I could get to the BCM. I then disconnected the 3 main connectors from the BCM and waited a 1-2 minutes. Upon reconnecting the main connectors the F-Type came back to life.

Climbed back in the drivers seat and the Start/Stop button was magic.

So instead of handing over $1365 for a reset, I was out the door at $147.

The F-Type is driving great.

The following 2 users liked this post by djyankees31:
DJS (11-16-2019), schuss (10-16-2020)
Old 11-16-2019, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,155 Likes on 1,321 Posts

Fantastic! Thanks for reporting...and what you did is what the dealership should have done in the first place.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Here's the latest and last update. It all ends well.

The Hendrick Jaguar dealership quoted $1365 to replace the body control module (BCM) and labor. I told them to not do the work as I wanted to source the BCM which I did. However, I still believed that a reset of the BCM might work and didn't think the dealership tested that theory. The just tested with SDD and noticed the BCM was offline. Since we could not access the trunk and get to the battery it made it difficult. So on Friday, I went to the dealership and got my keys from the service department. I remove the panel in passenger foot well, metal bracket, pulled back the carpet where I could get to the BCM. I then disconnected the 3 main connectors from the BCM and waited a 1-2 minutes. Upon reconnecting the main connectors the F-Type came back to life.

Climbed back in the drivers seat and the Start/Stop button was magic.

So instead of handing over $1365 for a reset, I was out the door at $147.

The F-Type is driving great.
Where, exactly, is the BCM located?

Old 11-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Where, exactly, is the BCM located?
Lance, I went right through the Workshop Manual and zero trace of it!

Old 11-16-2019, 05:59 PM

Glad to hear it was a simple fix, fingers crossed you don't get a repeat.

Body Control Module is not the official name, it's the Central Junction Box, lift up the floor mat in the passenger side footwell, there is a door in the carpet, behind that door is the Central Junction Box, Body Control Module or whatever you like to call it.

EDIT

In the owners manual it's described as the Passenger Compartment Fuse Box.

Last edited by Cambo; 11-16-2019 at 06:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 07:08 PM

Thanks all! I did purchase a spare BCM/CJB module from a salvaged F-Type just encase. I'm fully setup with a Topix subscription and SDD.

The dealer was charging 3 hours labor for the renew of the CJB and SDD programming. When I mentioned to the service writer that Topix list the renew of .3 hours and SDD programming .2 hours. They didn't have a reason for the 3 hours but said that's what it is.

Here's the information from Topix of the renew/replace of the BCM/CJB.
CENTRAL JUNCTION BOX (CJB) - RENEW
ALL DERIVATIVES
0.30 Hours

This always makes it tough to trust a dealership as in my case it was all about getting the most money versus trying to just reset the module.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
Glad to hear it was a simple fix, fingers crossed you don't get a repeat.

Body Control Module is not the official name, it's the Central Junction Box, lift up the floor mat in the passenger side footwell, there is a door in the carpet, behind that door is the Central Junction Box, Body Control Module or whatever you like to call it.

EDIT

In the owners manual it's described as the Passenger Compartment Fuse Box.
Thanks much. I knew where the CJB was but didn’t know it’s primary purpose was to control bodily functions.

Quick Reply: 2014 F-Type Convertible Stranded -- Neither Fob is recognized