F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 F Type R

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 F Type R

Been in the market for a F type R and finally found one I like and within my budget. Its a 2015 Type R with about 58k miles on it. White exterior, Pano roof and dark wheels were my requirements. Carmax is listing it for about 41k and I'm getting it transferred to my local store to take a look. It looks like there's been about 4 previous owners ( I think possibly just 3) but is that something to worry about? Seems like the car was basically being daily driven in Florida - any concerns about this? I'm in California so weather is basically always dry here. Lastly, if I do decide to go for it, what should I do first to make sure car is in good shape? I'm thinking take it to Jag dealership to get it checked up. Appreciate the help!

Old 09-29-2020, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 508 Likes on 376 Posts

Daily driven is desirable as a rule. Prolonged inactivity makes the cars less reliable!

Hopefully it has complete service records....of interest are coolant pipe leaks, and injector replacements.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Yes get it checked at a Jag dealer. I’ve got 47000 on my 2014 so they run without problems. I’ve barely broken mine in and I don’t daily drive it. I just drive it a lot!

Old 09-30-2020, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the best way to just call a Jaguar dealership and schedule a pre purchase inspection? That would essentially check all major parts? Might be a dumb question but never bought a used car before.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:46 AM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Every car I have ever looked at to buy at Carmax has been wrecked to some degree. I think you can get a better deal outside of Carmax usually. Their business model is great but moving all those cars around isn't free and that cost is passed onto the consumer. I have bought a car from Carmax, that I could tell had been wrecked prior to the purchase, so I'm not hating on Carmax, it's just my experience.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:31 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

You can definitely get a better deal than Carmax because their "no-haggle" model means that the asking price is higher and all the profit is baked in to that.
I've never bought from them but a good friend of mine has, and you do generally get a hassle-free experience for the price premium. My friend bought an Audi from them and instead of taking it to get inspected before the purchase, he took it to an Audi dealer straight after leaving the Carmax lot figuring if there was anything seriously wrong with it he could get his money back under the 7-day refund guarantee. The inspection revealed some minor but not insignificant issues (oil leak or something?) which he took back to Carmax, and they paid for everything to be fixed at the Audi dealer.

All other things being equal, more owners is never a good thing. That can be said for any car, not just F-Types or Jaguars. The dealer should be able to tell you which of the regularly scheduled services have been completed. If you've never bought a used car before I would suggest just generally reading up on the topic because there's not a whole lot of model-specific things that a casual observer would be able to discern but if there's one piece of advice I can offer: if it has cheap tires from a brand you've never heard of, stay away. A prior owner that doesn't see value in quality tires is likely to have cut corners in other places as well.