F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F-Type S 6MT Extremely Difficult to go in Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 04:07 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rbsj
Yeah, I hate to start slinging a lot technical jargon here, but that's a load of hooey. If you haven't already, you should read the link to the thread that Luc Lapierre provided earlier in this discussion. When you read that you will also see links to two very detailed discussions related to the compromised nature of the first generation clutch assembly. Those discussions appear to identify that the first gen clutch assemblies were continuing to ship to sometime in September/October 2015 build dates. There appear to be a number of participants on this forum that got JLR to replace their first generation clutch under warranty (and some that got the second gen too). What's the build date of your car?
Not sure, here is my VIN
SAJWB6BCXG8K32407

Old 03-28-2019, 05:48 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Based on your VIN, you have a build date after mine and mine was 10/2015. Based on all the commentary about how the first and second gen clutches operated (or malfunctioned) in the other links I've mentioned in my last post, I have surmised that I have the second gen clutch because I do not have all the slippage problems voiced by the earlier build date owners.

Is JLR trying to say they will cover the first gen clutches but not the second? If that's the case how does that square with what Bret_T is saying about them covering his 2017?

This does not make a lot of sense, especially give the facts of your recent purchase.

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
Not sure, here is my VIN
SAJWB6BCXG8K32407

Old 03-28-2019, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Thank you! Just got a call from the dealership; they said my VIN isn’t covered under the TSB/SSM. But still waiting on the case number to go forward with that.
Get it in writing then contact JLR. Your dealership trying to make you go away because they don't want to do this job.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:12 PM
Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

My VIN is SAJXB6FC1G8K27692.

My clutch assembly is currently being replaced under CPO warranty.

If it helps, I can send you the invoice when I get it.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
My VIN is SAJXB6FC1G8K27692.

With that VIN, your car was among the very first MTs to reach North America with a production date around June 1 2015. My VIN is 27733 with a 1st week in June production date.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-29-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:42 AM

If JLR doesn't help Bellanca_XF on this that would suggest they have more recently drawn the line in the sand in handling the first and second gen clutch assemblies under warranty. Suspecting that I have the second gen clutch myself I'm very interested in your outcome.

It's comforting to know that you have a ticking time bomb under your left foot.

Originally Posted by Unhingd
With that VIN, your car was among the very first MTs to reach North America with a production date around June 1 2015. My VIN is 27733 with a 1st week in June production date.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:08 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
Did they state that they were going to cover it from the beginning or did you have to go up the ladder? The reason I ask is that if it wasn't a fight for you to get it replaced and it wasn't a fight for me to have my 2017 clutch replaced, then it shouldn't be a fight to have the clutch replaced on a car that was produced between the two.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:55 AM
Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret_T
Did they state that they were going to cover it from the beginning or did you have to go up the ladder? The reason I ask is that if it wasn't a fight for you to get it replaced and it wasn't a fight for me to have my 2017 clutch replaced, then it shouldn't be a fight to have the clutch replaced on a car that was produced between the two.

The dealer couldn't tell me one way or the other initially; it had to be OK'ed by the regional technical manager. But I imagine this isn't out of the ordinary.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:25 PM

I have an official case number with Jaguar; fingers crossed. Let’s hope Jaguar values their customers. It’s a shame too, I really love this car.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:22 PM
Old 03-30-2019, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member

If I were inspecting that clutch, I would conclude excessive wear and tear. That clutch disc is worn down to the rivets, caused by excessive slippage. Either the clutch was abused or the clamping force was inadequate to avoid the slippage during spirited upshifting (1st to 2nd) that was prevalent on the early production cars. However, someone should have noticed that long before that clutch got into that condition.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

If I were inspecting that clutch, I would conclude excessive wear and tear. That clutch disc is worn down to the rivets, caused by excessive slippage. Either the clutch was abused or the clamping force was inadequate to avoid the slippage during spirited upshifting (1st to 2nd) that was prevalent on the early production cars. However, someone should have noticed that long before that clutch got into that condition.
Since the initial complaint (at least in this thread) is difficulty getting into gear, drag, not slipping, would be what I'd look for. On mine, there were pieces that had come loose and were floating around, preventing complete disengagement.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:42 PM

I assure you I did not abuse the clutch, I did buy it with 12K on the odometer; however the clutch was not showing signs of failure. I’m not holding my breath on Jaguar agreeing to warranty it, but we’ll see in the coming days. I just hope the parts don’t take a very long time to come in.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Since the initial complaint (at least in this thread) is difficulty getting into gear, drag, not slipping, would be what I'd look for. On mine, there were pieces that had come loose and were floating around, preventing complete disengagement.
Thats happened on 2 of my clutches so far (gen1 & gen2)

Old 04-04-2019, 08:34 AM

Bellanca:

How did this ever turn out for you? Did JLR agree to fix the clutch under warranty? Is the car fixed and are you driving it? Curious minds need to know.
I assure you I did not abuse the clutch, I did buy it with 12K on the odometer; however the clutch was not showing signs of failure. I’m not holding my breath on Jaguar agreeing to warranty it, but we’ll see in the coming days. I just hope the parts don’t take a very long time to come in.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:52 AM

Bellanca:

How did this ever turn out for you? Did JLR agree to fix the clutch under warranty? Is the car fixed and are you driving it? Curious minds need to know.
I’m still waiting to hear back if they’re going to warranty it. I was told that I would know by yesterday at the latest—that never happened. So, hopefully I hear something today.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:31 PM

Well, it’s a no-go from Jaguar, they’re firm on that. Should be getting fixed today/tomorrow and then after that I plan on getting rid of it; this has really soured my taste for Jaguar. This is how you lose a customer for life.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 PM

Sorry man, that blows, very disappointing.
Well, I guess I know for sure now, there's a ticking time bomb under my left foot.

Well, it’s a no-go from Jaguar, they’re firm on that. Should be getting fixed today/tomorrow and then after that I plan on getting rid of it; this has really soured my taste for Jaguar. This is how you lose a customer for life.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:08 AM

Sorry man, that blows, very disappointing.
Well, I guess I know for sure now, there's a ticking time bomb under my left foot.
It is what it is; I guess it wouldn’t hurt to call them to see if your car in particular is covered under the SSM.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

There is non-zero chance that dealer is lying to you. Get this answer in writing from your dealer and then talk to JLR directly by picking up the phone.

Quick Reply: 2016 F-Type S 6MT Extremely Difficult to go in Gear