Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Jaguar Lobster Run

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,155 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Is it too late to sign up? I don't eat lobster, so there will be plenty for everyone else!
Lobster is currently at 10-15 year low prices here in Oz, around $75AU per kilo (approx $40 a pound) vs the usual $130-140 per kilo.
Reckon I might get myself and relies some for Christmas at that price!
The price drop is coz our old mates the CCP have put an embargo on Oz lobster coz we questioned their conduct over a few minor things such as WuFlu, which means there is a glut of fresh lobster atm in Oz. We previously exported 95% of the catch to China (as live lobster) coz they were happy to pay bigly for it, seeing as it's a delicacy.

Last edited by OzXFR; 12-16-2020 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Lobster is currently at 10-15 year low prices here in Oz, around $75AU per kilo (approx $40 a pound) vs the usual $130-140 per kilo.
The price drop is coz our old mates the CCP have put an embargo on Oz lobster coz we questioned their conduct over a few minor things such as WuFlu, which means there is a glut of fresh lobster atm in Oz. We previously exported 95% of the catch to China (as live lobster) coz they were happy to pay bigly for it, seeing as it's a delicacy.
It’s amazing how prices vary so wildly. When I was last in New England over the summer I could get live lobster for $5 per pound.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,595 Likes on 858 Posts

Is it too late to sign up? I don't eat lobster, so there will be plenty for everyone else!
Consider yourself signed up. This event is shaping up nicely! If you PM me your home address—and I am serious—AND you are interested, I will mail you one of the “Official” event stickers our very own dear Mbourne generously had made, based on the LOGO I designed. Speaking of Mbourne...

Originally Posted by Mbourne
It’s amazing how prices vary so wildly. When I was last in New England over the summer I could get live lobster for $5 per pound.
Yeah, but have you ever gone lobstering?

(And when you’re close friends with a lobsterman—one of the hardest working people I know—the price is actually a lot lower than $5 per pound. Thankfully and happily, I make it up in lots of other ways....)

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (12-18-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 961 Likes on 718 Posts

[QUOTE=RickyJay52;2330329]Consider yourself signed up. This event is shaping up nicely! If you PM me your home address—and I am serious—AND you are interested, I will mail you one of the “Official” event stickers our very own dear Mbourne generously had made, based on the LOGO I designed. [/QUOTE}

Application sent.

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Speaking of Mbourne...

(And when you’re close friends with a lobsterman—one of the hardest working people I know—the price is actually a lot lower than $5 per pound. Thankfully and happily, I make it up in lots of other ways....)
I've visited Maine. My friend and I went to an event a friend of his was throwing at his place there. He had a business that sold parts for lobster trap repair. One night of this event he drove his truck to the market, had it filled with crushed ice, then went to his lobsterman friends' spot there. Filled it up with many lobsters. He took off their hands a number of "shedders" that they hate because the don't transport. Over here, they equivalent would be soft-shell crabs. I had none, but I think my friend consumed eight of them. Memories are dim of that three day event. He also brewed beer and made mead (his other gig was beekeeping), just to get that Viking mood going.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,595 Likes on 858 Posts

[QUOTE=lizzardo;2330363]
Consider yourself signed up. This event is shaping up nicely! If you PM me your home address—and I am serious—AND you are interested, I will mail you one of the “Official” event stickers our very own dear Mbourne generously had made, based on the LOGO I designed. [/QUOTE}

Application sent.

I've visited Maine. My friend and I went to an event a friend of his was throwing at his place there. He had a business that sold parts for lobster trap repair. One night of this event he drove his truck to the market, had it filled with crushed ice, then went to his lobsterman friends' spot there. Filled it up with many lobsters. He took off their hands a number of "shedders" that they hate because the don't transport. Over here, they equivalent would be soft-shell crabs. I had none, but I think my friend consumed eight of them. Memories are dim of that three day event. He also brewed beer and made mead (his other gig was beekeeping), just to get that Viking mood going.
LOVE soft-shell crabs! I also love blue-claw crabs (Our very own Unhingd lives in the crab capital of the world). I actually often prefer the delicate and delectable taste and flavor of crab over lobster. Then again, there aren’t many foods I don’t love. I’ve replied to your PM. Sticker(s) will soon be on the way.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-17-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:13 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

What? what did I miss, wasn't this event in 2016? Reading through everything it sounded great. Any chance you guys would plan another one?

Old 12-17-2020, 09:15 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=RickyJay52;2330373]

LOVE soft-shell crabs! I also love blue-claw crabs (Our very own Unhingd lives in the crab capital of the world). I actually often prefer the delicate and delectable taste and flavor of crab over lobster. Then again, there aren’t many foods I don’t love. I’ve replied to your PM. Sticker(s) will soon be on the way.
I'm south of Unhingd and wanted to go up North in the Fall of 2021. Another event would be great, if and when we can gather together again.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 961 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4PK
What? what did I miss, wasn't this event in 2016? Reading through everything it sounded great. Any chance you guys would plan another one?
Yes, it was in 2016. There was a joke about resurrecting old threads so I dove in here.

SS4PK (12-18-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Consider yourself signed up. This event is shaping up nicely! If you PM me your home address—and I am serious—AND you are interested, I will mail you one of the “Official” event stickers our very own dear Mbourne generously had made, based on the LOGO I designed. Speaking of Mbourne...

you mean like this?

You mean like this?

With this guy?

And then enjoyed them at Rickjays like this?

The following 3 users liked this post by Mbourne:
DJS (12-18-2020), jaguny (12-19-2020), RickyJay52 (12-19-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,155 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Got a lobster shock this morning.
Did my weekly pilgrimage to the (almost) local fresh seafood shop 15 km down the road, and as I said before I had already decided to buy a lobster. Not really for the relies but for me and SWMBO to share on Christmas eve.
They were running short so I decided to order one first before the rest of my seafood order (2 kg of prawns for Christmas lunch, garfish for the cats, Atlantic salmon for SWMBO and flathead for moi).
The price had gone up from last week's $75 per kilo to $87.50 per kilo, but fair enough thought I, still a bargain (coff).
I asked for a "medium" one but it still ended up costing $125!
For just enough for entree for two people.
I envy you NE Yanks for the ridiculously low prices you pay for your local lobster!

Old 12-19-2020, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Exactly what we're doing for Xmas dinner. We ordered a couple of lobster dinners from Chef Tony's here in DC for the festivities. The deal goes down in the parking lot behind the restaurant. I'll be driving the getaway car in case it's a sting operation.

Mbourne (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

Our's will be New Years Eve. Shovel off the foot of snow on back deck, fire the grill, steam the lobster. Welcome the next year in and hope its better than this one for everyone.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:55 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Welcome the next year in and hope its better than this one for everyone.
It'll be an absolute catastrophe if it isn't better!

jaguny (12-19-2020)