Received 4,657 Likes on 3,363 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
8 have already "signed" up (Lance?)
Yes, 8 so far.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,596 Likes on 858 Posts
Default Clarifications & Amplifications

Greetings all. You can be sure that if you're making the effort and putting on the miles to get here, I'm gonna make sure you're going to leave 100% satisfied, if not blown away. And, really, it's nothing... for me to put this together and my pleasure doing so. I have several things in the works - some of that depending on the number of participants - and am in the process of fine tuning this and that for the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run. (Including, perhaps, a surprise or two).

I wanted to provide those already "signed up", including those thinking of joining us (8 so far, and I have to assume some, many, or all will have a co-pilot with them?) - and thank you Lance for compiling those attending; and, indeed, I am going to ask you to make another "additional" list as you will soon see.

Eating lobster - a whole lobster - is a messy (but delicious) affair. I should know, and nobody eats a lobster like me. Sure the sweet succulent tail meat is easy to pick out (I enjoy removing the tail in one piece, and then cutting it into medallions, then dipping each medallion in drawn melted butter) but beyond that - and make no mistake, I eat the entire thing; claws of course but also the roe, tomalley, etc. - it's a hellava ordeal. Which is why whether it's the Brass Complex and their famous Lobster Club for lunch on Saturday, or one of my excellent alternatives (believe me, I know them all), a lobster roll [essentially picked lobster meat in a bun, with either melted butter or mayonnaise to put it simply] is my preferred choice for this event.

Further, my first choice for Friday night's dinner - Street & Co. - is out. While they would do almost anything for me, even on the busiest night, they just can't handle a group of more than 10 and my guess is we are going to be more than that. Perhaps a lot more? Which I why I contacted my friend Enrico Barbiero who owns, along with his wife Fabiana (both from Milan) a fabulous Italian restaurant called Paciarino. How does house-made black long pasta with lobster sauce sound? How about lobster ravioli? Enrico said he could easily make it a lobster-based theme and as long as the number of attendees doesn't exceed the numbers he can seat, that's my first choice for Friday dinner.

I am not going to get into some of the other details - and Saturday night's dinner at Union is gonna kill it!!! Executive Chef, and my dear friend, Josh Berry is excited to wow us, and while we haven't discussed the menu yet - I'm thinking something along another lobster-based theme or seafood but, really, I would just assume leave that to him. You will leave immensely satisfied, that much I guarantee.

Which brings me back to one of my original points. If anyone is interested in coming a day or even two early - at which time we might go for that whole lobster dinner - and/or stay an extra day or two, I am happy to help with the plans as well as, likely, join in. I just didn't include a whole lobster dinner for what it being deemed, officially or otherwise, the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run. Regardless, those wanting lobster shall have it...one way or another.

And why, Lance, perhaps we can establish an informal poll of those wanting to come a day early (Thursday May 5) for a [whole] lobster dinner? Just a thought.

(Oh yeah, I wouldn't worry a bit about what the weather will be like that weekend. We'll be on the road regardless).

All for now.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-13-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:12 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,090 Likes on 1,392 Posts

If we have lobstah for every meal, we may grow our own carapace.

FWIW, I'm right on the way to Jay's for many of you - just off I-495, about 2 hours from Portland (or about 1 hour the way most of your drive. )

Old 11-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Jay,
I'll call you this weekend to dig into the details of what info we need to track. I'll set up Survey Monkey to serve as a registration site to track registration for each of the planned event. I'll also leave it accessible to individuals so they can modify their responses as time goes forward.

Lance

Old 11-13-2015, 11:17 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,090 Likes on 1,392 Posts

Oh, and May up Nawth can be hit-or-miss in terms of top-down weather, for those of us with tops that go down. Although I had my top down coming in to work this morning, at a balmy 52 degrees.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Jay,
I'll call you this weekend to dig into the details of what info we need to track. I'll set up Survey Monkey to serve as a registration site to track registration for each of the planned event. I'll also leave it accessible to individuals so they can modify their responses as time goes forward.

Lance
Based on Dave's reply above yours Lance, the only thing which sounds like it might need to be modified are everyone's speeds getting here. Please don't get any speeding tickets before getting here. Wait until you're here. (Although I understand the exuberant nature of this group. I myself got up to speeds this morning on the way in in excess of...well...better left unsaid. [HINT: 3 digits were involved; and the second wasn't even a 0].

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-13-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 294 Likes on 233 Posts

Based on Dave's reply above yours Lance, the only thing which sounds like it might need to be modified are everyone's speeds getting here. Please don't get any speeding tickets before getting here. Wait until you're here. (Although I understand the exuberant nature of this group. I myself got up to speeds this morning on the way in in excess of...well...better left unsaid. [HINT: 3 digits were involved; and the second wasn't even a 0].

Last Cross Country trip I took I got stopped while STILL IN TEXAS, for doing 82 in a 75... After a quick look at the car, verification I had insurance, and a written warning, I was seen off with a "nice car" comment... I'm still not sure if I should be pissed off that I was pulled over for 7 over, or if I should be happy I was given a warning. My opinion is that the State Trooper wanted to look at the car. Who knows...

Old 11-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Last Cross Country trip I took I got stopped while STILL IN TEXAS, for doing 82 in a 75... After a quick look at the car, verification I had insurance, and a written warning, I was seen off with a "nice car" comment... I'm still not sure if I should be pissed off that I was pulled over for 7 over, or if I should be happy I was given a warning. My opinion is that the State Trooper wanted to look at the car. Who knows...
Surely that must have been the case...for 7 MPH over?! Of course pulling anyone over for going over the posted speed limit - no matter how little or what that limit is - is like shooting fish in a barrel. Easy target. I'm never reckless, either with my driving or my speeds, and have led a convoy of as many as 50, count em, cars. Luckily, never with an "incident" (and I do not expect one with the Lobster Run). I do have some basic "guidelines" [re] driving in a convoy and will convey them to our group when the time comes. (And, no, it's not every man for himself).

Best regards,
Jay

Old 11-13-2015, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Greetings all. You can be sure that if you're making the effort and putting on the miles to get here, I'm gonna make sure you're going to leave 100% satisfied, if not blown away. And, really, it's nothing... for me to put this together and my pleasure doing so. I have several things in the works - some of that depending on the number of participants - and am in the process of fine tuning this and that for the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run. (Including, perhaps, a surprise or two).

I wanted to provide those already "signed up", including those thinking of joining us (8 so far, and I have to assume some, many, or all will have a co-pilot with them?) - and thank you Lance for compiling those attending; and, indeed, I am going to ask you to make another "additional" list as you will soon see.

Eating lobster - a whole lobster - is a messy (but delicious) affair. I should know, and nobody eats a lobster like me. Sure the sweet succulent tail meat is easy to pick out (I enjoy removing the tail in one piece, and then cutting it into medallions, then dipping each medallion in drawn melted butter) but beyond that - and make no mistake, I eat the entire thing; claws of course but also the roe, tomalley, etc. - it's a hellava ordeal. Which is why whether it's the Brass Complex and their famous Lobster Club for lunch on Saturday, or one of my excellent alternatives (believe me, I know them all), a lobster roll [essentially picked lobster meat in a bun, with either melted butter or mayonnaise to put it simply] is my preferred choice for this event
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyJay52 View Post
I still need to finalize several of the items on the itinerary, but here is a bit more detailed rundown of what I envision (feel free to pass it along):

2016 Jaguar Lobster Run

May 6, 7, 8, 2016

[All details are subject to change until I can confirm the following]

Arrive Friday May 6

· Check into The Press Hotel. The Press Hotel (they provide valet parking – indoor – although we can park our own if we choose to).

· 4:00-5:00 PM: Meet for drinks in The Inkwell. Portland Maine Bar | The Press Hotel

· 5:00 PM: Prose reading by local writer –resident literary genius/friend – RobertGibbons. Publications

· 6:00 PM: Short walk to dinner at Street andCo. Street and Co. (signature dishes include Scallopsin Pernod with Cream, Grilled Lobster on Linguini, Butter and Garlic, among others).

Saturday May7

· 7:00/7:15 AM: Meet in lobby of The Press Hotel for drive – approximately 30 minutes - to Topsham, Maine and Blueberries. http://www.facebook.com/blueberriesfood (Blueberry pancakes are the star here in my opinion – as is the owner and dear friend Drew Victory - although everything is fabulous and satisfying).

· 9:00 AM: depart Blueberries for parts north and Owls Head Transportation Museum. Owls Head Transportation Museum | Owls Head Transportation Museum (docent-led tour of an amazing collection of automobiles, art, and historic aircraft).

· 12:00/1:00 PM: catered lunch delivered to Owls Head Transportation Museum from The Brass Compass Café. The Brass Compass |serving breakfast & lunch 7 days a week in Rockland, Maine (Their Lobster Club bested Bobby Flay’s Throw Down).

· 2:00 PM: depart Owls Head for short drive to Rockland and The Farnsworth Museum. Farnsworth Art Museum | Celebrating Maine's Role in American Art (docent-led tour of everything Wyeth; N.C., Andrew, and Jamie). Stunning!

· 4:30/5:00 PM: depart Farnsworth and head south back to The Press Hotel.

· 7:00/7:30 PM: dinner at the spectacular Union. http://www.thepresshotel.com/union Executive Chef, and good friend, Josh Berry is creative, inventive, and amazing and produces dishes which tantalize the senses and tickle the palette.

Sunday May 8

· 8:30 AM: Meet in lobby of the Press Hotel for drive to Jaguar Scarborough. Jaguar Scarborough - Serving Scarborough, ME

· 9:00 AM: Enjoy catered breakfast, at Jaguar Scarborough – which is normally closed on Sunday’s - from St. Joe’s Coffee. Scarborough | St. Joe's Coffee (home of the Bennie – beignet to you).

· 10:00/10:30 AM: Depart for home and parts unknown.

Further, my first choice for Friday night's dinner - Street & Co. - is out. While they would do almost anything for me, even on the busiest night, they just can't handle a group of more than 10 and my guess is we are going to be more than that. Perhaps a lot more? Which I why I contacted my friend Enrico Barbiero who owns, along with his wife Fabiana (both from Milan) a fabulous Italian restaurant called Paciarino. How does house-made black long pasta with lobster sauce sound? How about lobster ravioli? Enrico said he could easily make it a lobster-based theme and as long as the number of attendees doesn't exceed the numbers he can seat, that's my first choice for Friday dinner.

I am not going to get into some of the other details - and Saturday night's dinner at Union is gonna kill it!!! Executive Chef, and my dear friend, Josh Berry is excited to wow us, and while we haven't discussed the menu yet - I'm thinking something along another lobster-based theme or seafood but, really, I would just assume leave that to him. You will leave immensely satisfied, that much I guarantee.

Which brings me back to one of my original points. If anyone is interested in coming a day or even two early - at which time we might go for that whole lobster dinner - and/or stay an extra day or two, I am happy to help with the plans as well as, likely, join in. I just didn't include a whole lobster dinner for what it being deemed, officially or otherwise, the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run. Regardless, those wanting lobster shall have it...one way or another.

And why, Lance, perhaps we can establish an informal poll of those wanting to come a day early (Thursday May 5) for a [whole] lobster dinner? Just a thought.

(Oh yeah, I wouldn't worry a bit about what the weather will be like that weekend. We'll be on the road regardless).

All for now.
Maine Roads with a cool ocean breeze sounds like heaven to me. Besides that is what the heater, seat heaters and steering wheel heater is for!

I can come a day early.

I am up for a whole lobster. I miss the opportunity down here in PA and since I'm going to be in the neighbourhood of "home" for this jaunt I look forward to diving into the crustacean with both hands. My wife however is allergic to seafood so as long as their is a non seafood dish on the menu she will be fine. Her allergy is truly a tragedy but that means more for me.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Default Quick Update

Greetings all. Winter may be approaching but my thoughts are to spring (although I must say I had the most invigorating drive into work today, in the F-Type of course). At last check, we have 8 F-Types "signed" up and when Lance gets back from his trip, we'll update that list - and I know that he has posted it on J-A-N-E as well, so there's no telling how many, if any, will join us from that - and we've already heard from some stating that they'd like to come a day earlier (for a whole lobster). I have also "blocked" off 20 rooms for The Press Hotel for those seeking splendid accommodations. That too can be adjusted accordingly and I am still working on a few details (in other words, some things might still need to be confirmed) but here's how it is looking as of now:

2016 Jaguar Lobster Run

May 6, 7, 8, 2016

Arrive Friday May 6

· Check into The Press Hotel. http://www.thepresshotel.com/ (they provide valet parking – indoor – although we can park our own if we choose to).

· 4:00-5:00 PM: Meet for drinks in The Inkwell. http://www.thepresshotel.com/the-inkwell

· 5:00 PM: Prose reading by local writer –resident literary genius/friend – RobertGibbons. http://robertgibbons.net/Publications.html

· 6:00 PM: Short walk to dinner at Paciarino.http://www.paciarino.com/ owned by dear friends, from Milan, Enrico &Fabiana (Prosecco for all! And how does freshly house-made black long pasta with lobster sauce and/or lobster ravioli sound?)

Saturday May 7

· 7:00/7:15 AM: Meet in lobby of The Press Hotel for drive – approximately 30 minutes - to Topsham, Maine and Blueberries. http://www.facebook.com/blueberriesfood (Blueberry pancakes are the star here in my opinion – as is the owner and dear friend Drew Victory - although everything is fabulous and satisfying).

· 9:00 AM: Depart Blueberries for parts north and Owls Head Transportation Museum. http://owlshead.org/ (docent-led tour of an amazing collection of automobiles, art, and historic aircraft).

· 12:00/1:00 PM: catered lunch delivered to Owls Head Transportation Museum from The Brass Compass Café. http://thebrasscompasscafe.com/ (Owner Lynn Archer’s famous Lobster Club bested Bobby Flay’s Throw Down).

· 2:00 PM: Depart Owls Head for short drive to Rockland and The Farnsworth Museum. http://www.farnsworthmuseum.org/ (docent-led tour of everything Wyeth; N.C., Andrew, and Jamie). Stunning!

· 4:30/5:00 PM: Depart Farnsworth and head south back to The Press Hotel.

· 7:00/7:30 PM: Dinner at the fabulous Union. http://www.thepresshotel.com/union Executive Chef, and good friend, Josh Berry is creative, inventive, and incredible and produces dishes which tantalize the senses and tickle the palette.

Sunday May 8

· 8:30 AM: Meet in lobby of the Press Hotel for drive to Jaguar Scarborough. http://www.jaguarme.com/

· 9:00 AM: Enjoy catered breakfast, tentatively sponsored by Jaguar Scarborough from St. Joe’s Coffee. http://stjoesyork.com/scarborough/ (home of the Bennie – beignet to you – and serving breakfast sandwiches on their famous house-made biscuits).

· 10:00/10:30 AM: Depart for home and parts unknown.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-23-2015 at 10:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
DuhCar (11-23-2015), Unhingd (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 11:33 AM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Very thorough. The next thing you'll have us voting on will be t-shirt designs....

Old 11-23-2015, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DuhCar
Very thorough. The next thing you'll have us voting on will be t-shirt designs....
Don't think that I haven't already thought about that John. And no voting will be necessary . When I put together, in 1997, the NSX Fall Classic I actually designed not only long-sleeve T-shirts but pullover sweatshirts as well - each with designs I came up with (I have an art background, for what that's worth) - paid for [here's the clincher] by Acura*. While I cannot promise T-shirts or sweatshirts for the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run, I can promise you that these 3 days (2 1/2, 3 1/2) will prove to be a most enjoyable time. (And, you didn't hear it from me, but I am working on a few things which hopefully will bear some fruit, if not $'s. A work in progress).

*Oh yeah. For my 1999 NSX Spring Fling Acura paid for dinner for 35 people at The Four Seasons in NYC, along with some nice [read = $] wine. And you wonder why I was and am a devout fan of the brand. I would like to feel the same way about Jaguar; you listening Jaguar??? There's a reason I'm calling this the Jaguar Lobster Run [HINT: J/LR]

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-23-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

Jay,
What an incredible itinerary! I'll be back on top of getting the word out at the beginning of next week.

Lance

PS: I haven't seen a single Jag down here in Buenos Aires (just a few Land Rovers)

Old 11-24-2015, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Sounds awesome and I LOVE lobster Jay but that run may even be a stretch for me...

Old 11-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Sounds awesome and I LOVE lobster Jay but that run may even be a stretch for me...
Awe...c'mon! We're giving out a $10 Starbucks cards for the long distance winner. You'd have a real shot at that.

The following users liked this post:
buickfunnycar.com (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 294 Likes on 233 Posts

Don't make me take the long way from Texas just to win that Starbucks card...

Buick, if you're seriously considering making the trip, perhaps you can plan a route that heads through Dallas. We could make the rest of the run together, although I generally don't make plans for a cross country run, just drive til I'm tired and rest for the night, I'm certain RickyJays itinerary will be well worth a few days drive.

Actually, this offer stands for anyone from the left coast...

Old 11-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Awe...c'mon! We're giving out a $10 Starbucks cards for the long distance winner. You'd have a real shot at that.
LOL...that made me laugh!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Hell, if Buick comes I'm paying for his lobster!

The following users liked this post:
buickfunnycar.com (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Hell, if Buick comes I'm paying for his lobster!
Don't tempt me Jay...!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Don't tempt me Jay...!
Well, here's a thought. I have driven across the entire country, twice, in an Acura-provided NSX and both times I flew out to California to start those outrageously wonderful (a la Top Gear; kinda before there even was a Top Gear) excursions. Perhaps you should fly into Boston (or Portland) and hitch a ride with a passenger-less F-Typer? That still would qualify you for a "free" lobster. Like I said, just a thought and not a bad one at that if I say so myself.

Quick Reply: 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run