Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Jaguar Lobster Run

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,595 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by mjm3457
Turns out we are planning to attend a meeting in Virginia which ends the Wednesday before the L-Fest. We were thinking to fly out, but reading about this conclave has caused me to consider driving to the meeting and afterwards going on to the Fest to join you. It's a long drive out from Colorado, but that's what the car is about. I don't think we can make it before mid-day Friday. I have cousins in Maine that I haven't seen in awhile, and my wife has never been to New England, so we have extra motivation to try to come. You've done a great job organizing the whole weekend, RickyJay, and we both love lobster. Wanna guess how often we get it in Colorado? We are a definite "maybe" at this time because we have some other hoops to jump and clear. Should I go ahead and register, or wait a bit? Is there a deadline for registration?
I can make the following promises:

1) You will meet some very pleasant, interesting and engaging people. (Including their husbands).
2) Food is one of my many passions - I'm a NY Jew after all with a mother (deceased) born and raised in Vienna, Austria - and all the food over the Lobster Run will be fabulous; with an emphasis on lobster (as well as plenty of alternatives)
3) Our drive on Saturday will be most enjoyable and memorable.
4) You might not get a lot of sleep.

If there's anything I can do to help with your visit - should you and your wife decide to come - and/or any special requests, please let me know.

Best regards,
RJ52

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-15-2015 at 06:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mjm3457 (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 294 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
That too can be arranged! Anythng is possible. How about a Geisha pampering you - and what about the rest of us? - while you're eating your lobster?
I think I enjoy good food as much as you do. I wouldn't want any distractions while enjoying such a succulent meal!

I noticed in another post you mentioned you were a NY Jew... Well, I used to work in Parsippany, NJ, and if there is one thing I miss since moving to TX, it's a good Jewish deli for lunch with a great pastrami on rye! (That and a good bagel too)

Old 12-15-2015, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I think I enjoy good food as much as you do. I wouldn't want any distractions while enjoying such a succulent meal!

I noticed in another post you mentioned you were a NY Jew... Well, I used to work in Parsippany, NJ, and if there is one thing I miss since moving to TX, it's a good Jewish deli for lunch with a great pastrami on rye! (That and a good bagel too)
One of my sayings is, "as long as we have to eat, we might as well eat well", and "well" doesn't translate to fancy.

You're obviously a man of exceptional taste, and not just because you own an F-Type (although that does speak volumes), as does buying your son a fabulous Subaru WRX (one of my favorite cars). Believe it or not there are a few places here in Maine where one can get an EXCELLENT bagel (you just have to know where to go - or [know] me) - and/or a pastrami sandwich. We might be able to get you at least one or the other during your stay here. Of course, there's always mail order from Zabar's in NYC (where, it so happens, I received a CARE package from just yesterday containing a dozen Chocolate and a dozen Cinnamon Babkas to hand out as gifts; of course my wife and I tore into one of each last night! including my absolute favorite salami on the planet, authentic Hungarian Salami...the real stuff and just out-of-this-world!!!).

Now, of course, you've got me super hungry!

Therein lies the only problem I basically ever have...where to eat and what to eat. Talk about first world problems. How embarrassing....

Best regards,
Jay

P.S. Ah yes but you do have Kolaches!!!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-15-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:51 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,389 Posts

May consider a stop at the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden, either Thu or Fri morning, depending on weather, schedule, etc.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
May consider a stop at the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden, either Thu or Fri morning, depending on weather, schedule, etc.
Another F-Typer exhibiting excellent taste. My wife and I were just there Sunday for their first ever "Gardens A Glow". Spectacular place! (I suggest, if you go, to go on that Thursday morning since wouldn't you want to join us for a group drive to L. L. Bean on Friday?)

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-15-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

...Ah yes but you do have Kolaches!!!

But try finding Taylor ham on a salt bagel for breakfast out here...

Old 12-15-2015, 12:14 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Another F-Typer exhibiting excellent taste. My wife and I were just there Sunday for their first ever "Gardens A Glow". Spectacular place! (I suggest, if you go, to go on that Thursday morning since wouldn't you want to join us for a group drive to L. L. Bean on Friday?)

Nice - my local garden is doing the same thing, haven't gone yet. L.L. Bean isn't the same since the store abandoned the warehouse - remember buying flares there when I was a kid. (Flares == incendiary device, not '70s pants.)

Old 12-15-2015, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

That too can be arranged! Anythng is possible. How about a Geisha pampering you - and what about the rest of us? - while you're eating your lobster?
Hmmm....two different ways of getting some tail?

Old 12-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Default Updated Itinerary

And I will disregard U's comment.

I've made some additions (and a time change or two) to Friday's potential plan of attack (see below) and let me know what you all think:

2016 Jaguar Lobster Run

May 5, 6, 7, 8, 2016

Thursday May 5

· 7:00 PM: Lobster – whole lobster! – dinner at my friend Dana Street’s splendid new place (not yet opened so mum’s the word) Scales.

Friday May 6

· 8:00 AM: Meet in lobby of The Press Hotel: http://www.thepresshotel.com/followed by short walk to The [Henry] Wadsworth-Longfellow House: http://www.hwlongfellow.org/house_wlh_overview.shtml where we shall have breakfast outdoors in the lovely Longfellow Garden followed by a private tour of the house. My intention, still to be confirmed, is have my favorite local coffee house, TheSpeckled Axe: http://www.mattscoffee.com/ provide the coffee and my favorite bagel place, Union Bagel: http://unionbagel.com/ provide...what else...the bagels and cream cheese, butter, etc.

· 10:30 AM: Group drive to Freeport, Maine & L.L.Bean: http://www.llbean.com/

· 12:30/1:00 PM: Lunch delivered to L.L. Bean from Libby’s Market in Brunswick and their famous lobster and/or crab rolls. (Gotta work this out too but since the Libby’s are dear friends of mine...)

· 4:00-5:00 PM: Meet for drinks in The Press Hotel and The Inkwell. http://www.thepresshotel.com/the-inkwell

· 5:00 PM: Prose reading by local writer – resident literary genius/friend – Robert Gibbons. http://robertgibbons.net/Publications.html

· 7:00 PM: Short walk to dinner at Paciarino.http://www.paciarino.com/ owned by dear friends, from Milan, Enrico & Fabiana (Prosecco for all! Lobster-themed– such as freshly house-made black long pasta with lobster sauce, lobster ravioli, etc. – dinner).

Saturday May 7

· 6:45 AM: Meet in lobby of The Press Hotel for drive (in cars by 7:00 and on the road)– approximately 30 minutes - to Topsham, Maine and Blueberries. http://www.facebook.com/blueberriesfood (Blueberry pancakes, cinnamon French toast – with real Maine Maple syrup of course – are not the only stars here, so too is the owner and dear friend Drew Victory; although everything is out-of-this-world delicious).

· 9:00 AM: Depart Blueberries for parts north and Owls Head Transportation Museum. http://owlshead.org/ (docent-led tour of an amazing collection of automobiles, art, and historic aircraft).

· 12:00/1:00 PM: catered lunch delivered to Owls Head Transportation Museum from The Brass Compass Café. http://thebrasscompasscafe.com/ (Owner Lynn Archer’s famous Lobster Club bested Bobby Flay’s Throw Down).

· [Time permitting]: Stop at Owls Head Light:http://visitmaine.com/organization/owls-head-light/?uid=vtm2BFF7367337AE8F03

· 2:00 PM: Depart Owls Head for short drive to Rockland and The Farnsworth Museum. http://www.farnsworthmuseum.org/ (docent-led tour of everything Wyeth; N.C., Andrew, and Jamie). Stunning!

· 4:30/5:00 PM: Depart Farnsworth and head south back to The Press Hotel.

· 7:00/7:30 PM: Dinner at the fabulous Union. http://www.thepresshotel.com/union Executive Chef, and good friend, Josh Berry...well...let’s put it this way, he’s gonna knock it, and you, out of the park!

SundayMay 8

· 8:30 AM: Meet in lobby of the Press Hotel for drive to Jaguar Scarborough. http://www.jaguarme.com/

· 9:00 AM: Enjoy catered breakfast, sponsored by Jaguar Scarborough from St. Joe’s Coffee. http://stjoesyork.com/scarborough/ (home of the Bennie – beignet to you – and serving breakfast sandwiches on their famous house-made biscuits).

· 10:00/10:30 AM: Depart for home and parts unknown.

Best regards,
Jay

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-15-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Jay,

I'm certain that whatever the final itinerary looks like will be splendid! After the certain success of the 2016 LobsterFest, I might have to look into the 2017 TX BBQ Fest.
You can do no wrong my friend! Everything looks splendid!!!

RickyJay52 (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

While not a NY Jew, growing up in NY as an Italian in a Jewish neighborhood...we certainly enjoyed all the great food(s) Brooklyn offered...and yes, Zabar's is a frequent visitor to our house,lol.

RickyJay52 (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

And I will disregard U's comment.
That's all very well, but don't disregard this one: Your proposed itinerary looks brilliant!

Old 12-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

Elementary my dear Watson (although Sherlock didn't quite utter those words in the same sentence. "Elementary" yes and "my dear Watson", yes...but never as a complete sentence).

I was also advised - and my inate enthusiasm often gets the best of me (and all this is stuff I do anyway...on a regular basis, and I thrive on it) - to under promise and over deliver.

In other words, don't get your hopes up.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Jay,

I'm certain that whatever the final itinerary looks like will be splendid! After the certain success of the 2016 LobsterFest, I might have to look into the 2017 TX BBQ Fest.
You can do no wrong my friend! Everything looks splendid!!!
I must agree this plan keeps getting better and better. Also Count me in for a Texas run next year as well...love me some good BBQ!

Old 12-16-2015, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Default Attention F-Type Shoppers!!!

Oh yes (yes, it is good to be bad) I'm sure there will be time (on Friday May 6) after our return back to Portland from L.L. Bean and before my prose-writing friends reading at The Press Hotel for stops at the following two exquisite jewelry shops (and I do mean exquisite), thus appealing to those bringing a "better half" and ensuring that your ride home is a very pleasant one - "thank you so much dear...SO happy we came" - and, maybe, giving your better half an excellent excuse to 1) come with you or 2) allow you to come at all... without 3) complaining (not that that ever happens). Of course this also might ensure that you don't come at all*** considering that while you yourself might gain some weight on this trip - thus adding unwanted poundage to your F-Type - your wallet might also be significantly lighter. But, trust me, it'll be worth it!

Folia

https://www.hollyhamiltonjewelry.com/

***Lose a few, gain a few.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-16-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Where in Parsippany did you work?

Old 12-16-2015, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Years ago I did a fun run, with clues and the fastest car in won. My buddy Tony and I won, and had a blast. A memorable time for us, and this reminded me of that time in a similar way.

I like the idea of this run, and will be looking to convoy from North Jersey, and the tunnel is intriguing, as I was born a Jersey City Italian in an all Italian neighborhood. We as "bridge and tunnel people" love the memories, and any time going the route that Jay suggested, rekindles the memories in a great way.

As this matures, anybody going up who wants to convoy, post away, and as time rolls on..........we shall see what we shall see.

Thanks for organizing this, and when Jay told me, I totally missed this thread, and now am feeling the potentials of a great weekend!!!

Old 12-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Where in Parsippany did you work?
I used to to work for T-Mobile as an Operations Manager. They have a campus there. Prior to that I was working in Wayne at their switching facility.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Union Bagel - where I had breakfast this morning - is a "go" and I forgot to mention/include that our morning sweet treat on Friday May 6 will come from my dear friends from Standard bakery and their signature Lemon Tart.

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run-union-bagel.jpg   2016 Jaguar Lobster Run-lemon-tart.jpg  
Old 12-16-2015, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

we shall see what we shall see...

Very Zen Joe. (Hope you'll join us...just don't get your hopes up that it'll be a great weekend. I'm shooting for mediocre).

Quick Reply: 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run