F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Jaguar Lobster Run???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

right now my schedule looks free that weekend. I'm in a long as work or spousal unit doesn't pull me away

Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
right now my schedule looks free that weekend. I'm in a long as work or spousal unit doesn't pull me away
I hope you make it this time ShaunPA.

I received word this morning that a visit to the Winslow Homer Studio is possible for Friday afternoon, Oct 6. We would precede that with lunch at the Black Point Inn http://www.blackpointinn.com

Which itself be preceded by a visit to the Portland Museum for an introduction to Winslow Homer through his paintings.

That would be preceded by a drive (spirited or otherwise) and that would be preceded by breakfast at The Purple House.

Dinner(s) to be decided.

You have to decide whether you have an interest in attending. I will decide whether I'm doing this at the end of this month. If I know I will have at least 10 F-Types - and The Marketing Director from Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover is working his [client] end (and I would almost prefer to keep that "separate") - it's a resounding "yes". I will take a quick count of who has indicated their interest here in previous posts and go from there.

[re] Hotel accomodations: Since little time would be spent in the hotel, I don't see the need to spend big bucks (i.e. The Press Hotel). There are countless places to stay in the area, and all that can be arranged at a later date. I'm not worried and, in my opinion, neither should you.

Good luck, to us all.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-21-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Default Updated itinerary

I did wish to provide a little further glimpse into what this 2017 Jaguar Lobster Run might entail; although there are numerous details I still have to iron out; including hotel accomodations. Here's a very rough idea of what I can foresee:

THURSDAY OCT 5 (for those wishing to arrive on that Thursday):

4:00 PM - Meet here: https://www.mainemeadworks.com/
5:00-5:30 PM - Have pizza delivered to Maine Mead Works from here: http://www.ottoportland.com
6:00 PM - Walk here (right next door to Maine Mead Works): https://www.hardshoredistilling.com

Keep in mind that both the Maine Mead Works & Hardshore Distilling Company are merely small tastings...as they should be.

FRIDAY OCT 6

7:00 AM - Drive here: http://thepurplehousebakery.com

After breakfast a drive back into Portland for an "Introduction to Winslow Homer" here: http://www.portlandmuseum.org

Lunch here: Black Point Inn | Black Point Inn | Portland Oceanfront Hotel

After lunch, a walk and tour here: Winslow Homer Studio | Portland Museum of Art

Dinner to be determined, but options are the following (among others): http://www.scalesrestaurant.com or
http://emilitsa.com

SATURDAY OCT 7

Light (or not) but amazing breakfast here: http://standardbakingco.com

While the curator of an extraordinary collection of automobiles would love us to have a private tour of the collection, he will not be available these dates; neither is the owner of a collection numbering over 300 of classic American automobiles, all of which are for sale....SO....

Since many of the "alleged" participants would be new, I thought a return visit here might fit the bill nicely: Owls Head Transportation Museum | Owls Head Transportation Museum

I'm then thinking on the drive back to Portland, perhaps a late lunch?: http://www.redseatsmaine.com

Dinner, assuming there is a dinner, to be determined.

SUNDAY OCT 8

My fantastic dealer, Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover - who, by the way, is totally on board and supportive of this event should it transpire - can either open their doors to us for breakfast but is also looking at track time at a private race track...and they will be getting back to me (as well as sending an e-mail blast to their F-Type customer base [re] their interest) soon. They might even, perhaps in lieu of track time, pay for a lunch or dinner (like I said, they are FANTASTIC!).

I have also put the wheels in motion about having T-Shirts made (using the template for my design for the 2016 event; just altering colors of both the shirt and the design). "Problem" there is the guy who foot the bill for these last time no longer works for Continental Tire...but I am working around that as well.

Nothing more to add other than it's all still tentative. Like I've said, if I can't put something together to make it worthwhile for those, all, driving great distances - even if it's the journey and not the destination - I'm not gonna do it.

I will make that determination NO LATER THAN MONDAY JULY 31. If you are so inclined, perhaps you can state your interest and what the likihood of your attending is. 10%? 50/50? 99%? (nothing is 100%).

Last but not least, I realize that not all participants might want to take part in all festivities. And that's perfectly fine: provided I know of their intentions far in advance of the actual event.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-21-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:08 PM
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

RJ thanks for the details. It sounds like an event that shouldn't be missed. The date works for me also so I'm moving the needle from a "strong maybe" to a "looking good".

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
RickyJay52 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Here's what I surmise at the present time:

Nati - "Interested" (but unable to commit until end of this month)
Awd - "Interested"
JFerraro819 - "Pretty Sure"
Mbourne - "Present & Accounted For"
Fjmviper - "Looking Good", now "99%"
JackMac - "Interested"
DJS - "Present & Accounted For" (assuming he comes back from Europe)
Canadairjet - "Shipping Car" (we love that idea)
Prophizee - "100%" (I'll put Prophizee down for 99%)
slojotaa - "Sounds Promising"
ShaunPA - "Interested" (pending work or spousal unit interference)
RickyJay52

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-22-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Discussion over breakfast with the lovely lady who rides shotgun has resulted in the needle bouncing close to red line. Put me down for 99%.

We're about 9 hours away.

Looking forward to a guided tour through Main in the fall if it works out

Thanks,
John and Jenn

RickyJay52 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I envy all of you.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fjmviper
Discussion over breakfast with the lovely lady who rides shotgun has resulted in the needle bouncing close to red line. Put me down for 99%.

We're about 9 hours away.

Looking forward to a guided tour through Main in the fall if it works out

Thanks,
John and Jenn
A few more 99%ers and so it shall be.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I envy all of you.
One can only assume British Racing Green with envy.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-22-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Marko. I spent some time today with Danny and I told him that I might be putting together another "Run". Get this: he wants to take everyone lobstering as part of the event.

NOTE to others: My dear friend Danny is a real life/live Maine lobsterman. Not only did he supply the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run with the very best lobster rolls during our visit to L.L.Bean in Freeport last year, but he took Marko and me lobstering during one of Mbourne's subsequent visits. Getting a Maine lobsterman to take you lobstering is nearly impossible.

With Danny, nothing is impossible.

Sadly, there simply is no time with the schedule for something as time consuming, not to mention laborious (and I do mean laborious), as lobstering. (Plus, do you really want to get back into your F-Type after lobstering?). Still, I appreciate the offer.

This is gonna be my last post until the end of the month - about a week - when I will determine whether it's a GO or a NO.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-22-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Here's what I surmise at the present time:

Nati - "Interested" (but unable to commit until end of this month)
Awd - "Interested"
JFerraro819 - "Pretty Sure"
Mbourne - "Present & Accounted For"
Fjmviper - "Looking Good", now "99%"
JackMac - "Interested"
DJS - "Present & Accounted For" (assuming he comes back from Europe)
Canadairjet - "Shipping Car" (we love that idea)
Prophizee - "100%" (I'll put Prophizee down for 99%)
slojotaa - "Sounds Promising"
ShaunPA - "Interested" (pending work or spousal unit interference)
RickyJay52
I remain interested and am taking a hard look at work scheduling for October. My wife really wants to see an honest-to-goodness New England lighthouse. That may seem silly, but we both grew up in the midwest. I'd say you could put us at about 65% likelihood right now.

Here's a silly question - this will be a 1000 mile bug-murdering drive for me - is there a detailer somewhere in the neighborhood that could make me presentable again for the weekend?

Old 07-22-2017, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
I remain interested and am taking a hard look at work scheduling for October. My wife really wants to see an honest-to-goodness New England lighthouse. That may seem silly, but we both grew up in the midwest. I'd say you could put us at about 65% likelihood right now.

Here's a silly question - this will be a 1000 mile bug-murdering drive for me - is there a detailer somewhere in the neighborhood that could make me presentable again for the weekend?
Nothing silly at all Nati. Seeing much less touring a lighthouse is de rigueur when it comes to visiting or even living in Maine. I even considered it as part of this event - and there's nothing stopping you from venturing off on your own if you choose (or any part of this adventure; and that goes for anyone...provided you let me know ahead of time) - but didn't. I believe there will be at least one opportunity to see a lighthouse during my itinerary, if even from afar. (I have a friend who actually owns a lighthouse but it's a rather inhospitable and difficult place to get to).

There are a couple of detailing "outfits" in and around town* and I should be able to easily provide you with a place to wash your car at a friends house/hose - whether in Portland (assuming that that serves as our base...although I'm thinking Brunswick might serve us well and less expensively...in which case you could use my driveway to wash your car). Come to think about it, maybe I can work something out with my dealer [although some Forum members might frown upon that]. One way or another, we'll get your car cleaned!

Do I hear 75%?

*http://www.davesautocare.net

I used this guy once - I always prefer doing my own cars - for my 2004 Audi A8L and they did a very nice job (I recall that I was pressed for time which is why I used them in the first place). One of several I'm sure. Again, with a little detailing spray if not a full wash, shouldn't be too difficult making you, in your words, "presentable".

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-22-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

This is definately shaping up! Lobstering was fun, but certainly smelly unless we get onsite laundry right off the boat! Yah I know not practical. You could always just have the fire department hose us all down!

Old 07-23-2017, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

I am up to 75%. Work schedule looks doable. Co-pilot showing interest as well. Nothing final of course.

The Press Hotel looked lovely. I remember scoping it out last year even though I didn't wind up making the trip. I would certainly be supportive of that location again.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
I am up to 75%. Work schedule looks doable. Co-pilot showing interest as well. Nothing final of course.

The Press Hotel looked lovely. I remember scoping it out last year even though I didn't wind up making the trip. I would certainly be supportive of that location again.
The Press Hotel would be my choice too. I'm close friends with the principal owner - tremendously great guy, who has nothing to do with rates - and I just called to see what sort of group rate we might get; and they will get back to me tomorrow. (I also went onto Hotel.com just to glance at rates during that Oct period at other hotels and none appear to be cheap by any measure, not that I was expecting them to be). The Press charges extra for parking but they have a splendid indoor garage and I trust several of the valets there absolutely...believe it or not (but they will also let you park it yourself upon request which is what some, not all, Lobster Runners did last year).

I'm still on-the-fence whether this all comes together but I am certainly planning as if it will. The only question is how many F-Types/people will be attending and, as you know, I'd like to get 10+ (F's). Of course I will understand if the timing, distance, cost - my itinerary??? - doesn't work.

P.S. In the end The Press Hotel might actually prove to be the best value - the quality is undoubtedly there - and I've never been known to be penny wise pound foolish, but considering how little time will actually be spent in the/any hotel...I'm thinking that there might be some other solutions or alternatives (staying at my house is not an alternative since, presumably, there'll be too many of you).

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-24-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Press Hotel is outstanding and they take Marriott rewards points!

Old 07-26-2017, 05:50 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like a great time. Can't fully commit yet though so put me at 75%.

RickyJay52 (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jim F
Sounds like a great time. Can't fully commit yet though so put me at 75%.
I should be committed. A double entendre if ever there was.

I should be able to make a determination next Monday whether it's a "GO" or a "NO". But it's looking pretty good right now.

I did confirm one or two things today (although there are still details to be worked out). In order to provide attendees with a little down time (I'm not known for down time, just so you know), dinners on Friday and Saturday night will be at 8:00. (A few of my favorite restaurants - owned by friends of mine no less - are small enough that accommodating all of us is just not easy...and I am not one to push it or them). Nevertheless I can assure all that nobody will be disappointed; at least when it comes to food.

I've secured a dinner reservation on Friday Oct 6 @ 8:00 at Scales (and even that wasn't so easy).

I spoke with the owner - a lovely friend of a friend - of a new place called CHAVAL. http://www.pressherald.com/2017/04/1...-more-crowded/ My friend tells me it's amazing and that's good enough for me. I plan on having dinner there with my wife soon but I've mentioned to the owner that we'd like dinner there Saturday Oct 7 at 8:00 and she was most amiable. (She also mentioned that she has a friend in Boston who has an F-Type; yet another positive sign!). It's not a definite but certainly a distinct possibility. Based on the article above, the co-owners resumes are extremely impressive.

Still working on getting someone to pay for T-Shirts.

I'm thinking of a possible visit to Portland Headlight Sunday morning Oct 8 and then a drive to Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover who would be opening their doors for us - they are closed on Sundays - and serving breakfast before everyone heads for home. I don't think a day at the track is gonna work.

Maybe another time.

If you have any questions - or comments - please let me know.

Best regards,
Jay

P.S. I have permission to tell you that Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover will be paying for lunch at The Black Point Inn. They aren't permitted to pay for alcohol but food is on them (in addition to breakfast at their dealership). Did I tell you my dealer is fabulous?

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-26-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Sounding great!

Old 07-27-2017, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

OK, talked with my bride, we are in 95%, and looking forward to this one. Should be fun!