Sponsored by:

2018 in the shop for second time in two weeks

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
Dang.

I don’t think I’m the only one who likes hanging out in the car just to listen to music or watch a DVD. It would have been nice for a passenger waiting in the car. Kinda self defeating huh? I always wanted to mention that.

Oh well.......
You might be one of a few...but the fact that the car is programmed this way is the proof that modern cars (by no means only Jaguars) need full battery voltage - and this is one way to safeguard the battery power. It is for the same reason that lights are programmed to go off after a specified period...the engineers actually do think about these things. Years ago this was not an issue because cars did not have any of the modern power-sucking conveniences that they have now...electric windows used to be a real luxury!

The following users liked this post:
Jagged Wire (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 05:26 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Years ago this was not an issue because cars did not have any of the modern power-sucking conveniences that they have now...electric windows used to be a real luxury!
Ah, but in spite of that "simplicity" cars used to be very unreliable - I recall decades ago wondering if the car would start if the temperature had dropped overnight. It amazes me how reliable modern cars are even if they are much more complex. Progress, eh?

sov211 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

I don't think its as much 'progress' as 'survival-of-the-fittest' . Cars that don't work do not get sold anymore. Thanks to the social media.
Technology has developed, but much more industrial standards and quality control has soared. Mostly thanks to the almost religious
quest for quality by the Japanese car makers. They did steal and copy, but then perfected the technique so it would last.

But since they dropped their standards too. They discovered that product that do not break down, means later no new product will
be bought. So now they make things cheaper and build in a maximum life, for all products.

sov211 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 06:14 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
So now they make things cheaper and build in a maximum life, for all products.
Yeah, that's what Henry Ford did. Apparently he used to go round the scrapyards looking at broken Model Ts to see how the parts had fared. He discovered that crankshafts showed little signs of wear so he dropped the quality to match the other parts.

And Colin Chapman's matra was "anyone can make a bridge stand up, the trick is to make it just stand up". He built his race cars to the same principle, which is why they often broke down on the last lap.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
And Colin Chapman's matra was "anyone can make a bridge stand up, the trick is to make it just stand up". He built his race cars to the same principle, which is why they often broke down on the last lap.
I got to talk with Mario Andretti once and asked him how he felt about Chapman's mantra - the car falling into dust as it crosses the finish line - and he said that wasn't the big deal, which was that by half race, nobody had brakes!!

scm (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 08:55 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
Dang.

I don’t think I’m the only one who likes hanging out in the car just to listen to music or watch a DVD. It would have been nice for a passenger waiting in the car. Kinda self defeating huh? I always wanted to mention that.

Oh well.......
I believe that after the car shuts the radio off, you can simply push the radio power/volume button to turn it back on. Could be wrong.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I believe that after the car shuts the radio off, you can simply push the radio power/volume button to turn it back on. Could be wrong.
Correct, as long as the key is somewhere in or near the car.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

What about... ... cruising ; the radio stays on, and as a bonus you enjoy the ride too...

scm (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Through personal experience i have now replaced all 3 of my trickle chargers wth charge/ float chargers as i found that my less expensive float chargers would only maintain a less than fully charged (12.6v)and many times not even that. Now with new float chargers they not only will maintain but will fully charge a battery and then float. At the cost of batteries you can buy 3 good units for the price of a single battery. Prevention and maintenance goes along way.. Also keep in mind that a battery warning in the touch screen will stay there even when you bring the battery up to full charge. You have to clear the cached message by setting the alarm and leaving the car for 20-30 minutes. And these are "normal" messages just indicating the voltage in the battery. Not wether it is a good or bad battery. So when you see the message dont think you have a bad battery no more than air tire pressure sensor warning mean you have a leaking tire. Theyre just warnings to take some type of action like you know start the car and drive and or charge...

scm (12-14-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
You can do that, but after a period of time...10 mins or so...it will shut off and require you to hit the ignition again.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
You can do that, but after a period of time...10 mins or so...it will shut off and require you to hit the ignition again.
I have sat in the car with the ignition off listening to music on a USB stick for over 40 minutes while waiting for someone.
Every 10 minutes the "one minute warning" comes up then the sound system switches off, then I simply press the sound system button and it fires up again and continues playing where it left off. So three consecutive restarts, no need to touch the stop/start button at all and no hint of the battery being flattened.
One day someone (not me) might test how long you can keep doing this until the system decides not to play ball any more!

Old 01-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car has been at the dealer for over 30 days. They can not figure why the battery is draining. We have pushed forward with pursuing the Oregon lemon law with Jaguar. We should find out today hopefully.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

From the dealer perspective, electrical gremlins are par for the course with all F-Types. But thats because few understand their own cars.

The advice given thus far is spot on. First, if you access the OBDII port the car will lock you out within a drive or two. The reason is unknown, but one could surmise it is to prevent self-service. The dealers seem unaware of this "feature" and are apparently incapable of incorporating Lessons Learned, ad infinitum.

The second source of endless dealer confusion is the wide variety of faults, from transmission to alternator to the fault dejour, which commonly result from a low battery state. Any trickle charger, or regular hour+ long rides, will solve the problem.

Don't expect help or awareness from a dealer, they don't know F-Types.

Replacing the lighter with a voltmeter or usb charger/voltmeter is helpful. 10 different kinds are on Amazon.

sov211 (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 02:10 PM

Yeah I get it. This is my wifes car and she is a little upset about having a car that cost 100K and having to trickle charge it if it sits for more than three days. The dealer is 100% at loss for why this is happening. I showed them the forum thread and I don't think they take it seriously.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

I never charge it, leave it stagnant for 3 weeks when I'm on holidays.. ..only thing is that after 14 days its 'sleeping' and I can not reach it with the 'remote' app anylonger...

Old 01-02-2019, 03:14 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Mine is a 2014 V8S and I've never had a problem. Granted it was an almost daily driver for a couple of years, but I retired a year ago and it's not unusual for the car to sit for a week at a time. It always starts right up and never gives the Low Battery alert.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:36 PM

The issue we have is that we bought the car brand new in July and it has 2000 miles on it.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad25
The issue we have is that we bought the car brand new in July and it has 2000 miles on it.
Please trust us on this...the issue with your car is that it has not been used enough to keep the battery fully charged. The combination of infrequent use (if it sits for two or three or four days at a time, that is infrequent use) and if, in addition, it is not driven for extended periods when it IS used, then your battery will be low. See the posts above regarding modern cars and battery voltage needs. Your dealer is unlikely to find the problem, but purchase and use of a CTEK battery maintainer when the car is not in use will eliminate any issue of low voltage. I doubt very much that there is anything wrong with your car...has an OBDII reader been used on this car? They sometimes cause residual battery drain. Is the car locked when not in use? It should be, always, even if it sits safely in your garage. Is the key kept near the car? If so, there will be battery drain.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:21 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
..only thing is that after 14 days its 'sleeping' and I can not reach it with the 'remote' app anylonger...
I came across this "feature" recently - damn nuisance! I think you can set a wake-up time through the remote app, though, so that might be worth investigating.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
From the dealer perspective, electrical gremlins are par for the course with all F-Types. But thats because few understand their own cars.

The advice given thus far is spot on. First, if you access the OBDII port the car will lock you out within a drive or two. The reason is unknown, but one could surmise it is to prevent self-service. The dealers seem unaware of this "feature" and are apparently incapable of incorporating Lessons Learned, ad infinitum.

The second source of endless dealer confusion is the wide variety of faults, from transmission to alternator to the fault dejour, which commonly result from a low battery state. Any trickle charger, or regular hour+ long rides, will solve the problem.

Don't expect help or awareness from a dealer, they don't know F-Types.

Replacing the lighter with a voltmeter or usb charger/voltmeter is helpful. 10 different kinds are on Amazon.
wow you must think we at dealers are morons. . If we don't know the damn car I guess an independent does???? We don't get sidelined by multiple faults and I do agree a bad battery causes a ton of issues that are not faults. Clear them out and drive or whatever you need to do and evaluate again. OBD2 access causing battery drain.????? Eating pickles will give you a boy if youre trying for kids too.. I have read that here before and NO ONE here or that I know as ever heard of this including reps that see ALL the issues across both brands Jaguar and Land Rover. I think its purely a coincidence every time someone says it. I mean if its on the internet its gotta be right.

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
Dan_NL (01-03-2019), JgaXkr (01-02-2019), NBCat (01-02-2019)

Quick Reply: 2018 in the shop for second time in two weeks