F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 in the shop for second time in two weeks

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 in the shop for second time in two weeks

I have a 2018 F-Type R Dynamic that we purchased in July that the battery keeps draining after it sits for 3-4 days in our garage. They said they fixed it the first time and it failed a few days later. We brought it in two weeks ago and they called and said it was ready after 4 days. We told them it needed to be 100% right because if not we would go the lemon law route which in Oregon if the same issue arises 3 times you can proceed with the lemon law process.

Well after a week and a half later they just called and said it was the Telematics ECU draining the battery and they replaced it. Has this happened to anyone else.Just a little gun shy as we spent a lot of money on a car that has us nervous of driving only to be stranded with another dead battery. Thanks for any input.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad25
I have a 2018 F-Type R Dynamic that we purchased in July that the battery keeps draining after it sits for 3-4 days in our garage. They said they fixed it the first time and it failed a few days later. We brought it in two weeks ago and they called and said it was ready after 4 days. We told them it needed to be 100% right because if not we would go the lemon law route which in Oregon if the same issue arises 3 times you can proceed with the lemon law process.

Well after a week and a half later they just called and said it was the Telematics ECU draining the battery and they replaced it. Has this happened to anyone else.Just a little gun shy as we spent a lot of money on a car that has us nervous of driving only to be stranded with another dead battery. Thanks for any input.
I doubt it's the "telematics ECU". More likely the same glitch that causes the battery control module to go wonky after the OBD port has been accessed. A simple disconnect of the battery for about a minute will reset the module and resolve the issue until the next time someone plugs into the OBD port with a diagnostic or programming tool.

The following users liked this post:
Dan_NL (12-12-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They replaced the battery the first time and said that was the problem. After I got it home I did the battery reset and it still went dead a couple days later. I feel like they are throwing darts at a dart board trying to see if that fixes it. It just makes us nervous taking it anywhere down the road. We only have a Land Rover dealer here in Portland that absorbed the Jaguar dealership in town. Not too confident with them so far.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I had this problem. I disconnected the battery twice, and it kept doing it. Then a week later, it fixed itself and it's stayed fixed.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
.. and resolve the issue until the next time someone plugs into the OBD port with a diagnostic or programming tool.
Thank God I did not fitted the OBD2-plugg to use with my Torque app, or I'd have a drained battery too... Does JLR do this on purpose to prevent you from looking into the system ???

Old 12-12-2018, 02:26 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Dang, Same Thing Started Happening to Me :(

Same thing just started happening to me, out of nowhere. A couple days ago, I walked into the garage and there was a faint dinging noise. I looked at the dashboard and there was a warning light “Battery Low, Start Engine.” So I started the engine and let it idle for 10 minutes. The next day (or second day), same thing. I had to go somewhere and drove 100 miles. We’ll see what happens. I’m hoping it corrects itself too. It worries me too because there are areas on the highway where there is no shoulder.

I bought the car in 2017 with that problem. The dealer changed the battery and the problem was resolved. Since then, the OBD port was accesses a couple times. Year and a half later it’s happening again

So I think I’ll disconnect the battery.

Another thing: Is this a false warning, or is the battery actually being drained?

Another another thing: I leave the headlight switch on “Auto.” No problem, right?

I feel ya, but its good to know I’m not the only one experiencing this.

I’ll keep y’all posted.

Edit: How do you disconnect the negative terminal? There seem to be a lot of things attached to it. There’s that copper looking thing and a black plastic thing to the side. Do I still just loosen the nut and pull up?

Last edited by Jagged Wire; 12-12-2018 at 02:35 PM.
andykreb (02-17-2019)
Old 12-12-2018, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Question: do you use a CTEK unit?

Jagged Wire (12-13-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
Same thing just started happening to me, out of nowhere. A couple days ago, I walked into the garage and there was a faint dinging noise. I looked at the dashboard and there was a warning light “Battery Low, Start Engine.” So I started the engine and let it idle for 10 minutes. The next day (or second day), same thing. I had to go somewhere and drove 100 miles. We’ll see what happens. I’m hoping it corrects itself too. It worries me too because there are areas on the highway where there is no shoulder.

I bought the car in 2017 with that problem. The dealer changed the battery and the problem was resolved. Since then, the OBD port was accesses a couple times. Year and a half later it’s happening again

So I think I’ll disconnect the battery.

Another thing: Is this a false warning, or is the battery actually being drained?

Another another thing: I leave the headlight switch on “Auto.” No problem, right?

I feel ya, but its good to know I’m not the only one experiencing this.

I’ll keep y’all posted.

Edit: How do you disconnect the negative terminal? There seem to be a lot of things attached to it. There’s that copper looking thing and a black plastic thing to the side. Do I still just loosen the nut and pull up?
  • NOT A FALSE WARNING. Battery will not be strong enough to start car after being parked for 48-72 hours.
  • I leave my light switch set to auto and never touch it. No issue whatsoever.
  • Disconnect the ground lead where it bolts to floor of the trunk. Easiest way to do it...nothing in the way.

Jagged Wire (12-13-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
Question: do you use a CTEK unit?
What is a CTEK unit? If I don’t know what it is then I probably don’t have it.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

What is a CTEK unit? If I don’t know what it is then I probably don’t have it.
It's a brand of battery charger, one of the better ones and used by many forum members here. https://www.ctek.com/au

Jagged Wire (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member

If your car is not used on a nearly daily basis, and especially if this infrequent usage is combined with relatively short trips, the battery will not remain, or ever be, at full charge. The result of that will be electronic gremlins such as you are experiencing. The CTEK battery maintainer is designed specifically for these circumstances. The connector leads are permanently attached to the power source (there are threads on this) in the car; when you are not using the car you simply attach the CTEK unit to the connector. Done. It takes all of 4 seconds if you are slow, and it guarantees an end to electrical issues, assuming that you have a battery in good condition.
These units are sold by every luxury manufacturer under their own labels, from Bentley to Bugatti, including Jaguar and Land Rover, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Maserati....and all for exactly the same reason.
Your car is telling you to get one of the CTEK units - al of them do the same job (but slightly differently). I have used them for years with 100% success.

Jagged Wire (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member

If I look on the link, its a 15A charger.. .. you don't need that to 'trickle' charge a stationary car ! I bought a $ 19,50 12/24V 1,5A trickle charger and have been using it for years,
on my Discovery 3, Iseki mini tractor, LR2 and so on, and its fine ! You don't have to fork-out $ xxxxx amounts to solve this problem ! Yes, there is no handy fixed connection,
but when I store the car it stays for months at a time. Fixing is 5 minutes ; lead it through an opening that doesn'n clamp the wires [eg shutting the hood ]. No problemo...

Jagged Wire (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:56 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Ah, but the CTEK isn't a trickle charger - it monitors the battery state and applies whatever type of charge it deems necessary. That way it maintains your battery at optimum efficiency, no risk of overcharging.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
Ah, but the CTEK isn't a trickle charger - it monitors the battery state and applies whatever type of charge it deems necessary. That way it maintains your battery at optimum efficiency, no risk of overcharging.
Absolutely correct. It is a very advanced device that assesses the battery condition, desulphates and has a number of charging programs that keep the battery fresh, always. Depending upon the model, it also has different programs for flooded and AGM batteries. The CTEK can be left in operation for years with no damage to the battery - ever.And keeping the battery fully charged extends the battery life very significantly. Using these chargers I have had batteries in Jaguars last as long as 12 years (and still be good at the end of that period).
If the use pattern of any modern luxury car is infrequent use especially if combined with short runs, then a unit of this type is an absolute necessity. Not using such a device almost guarantees eventual complaints.
The least expensive CTEK unit is all that is needed...if the cost is of concern to the Jaguar owner.

Last edited by sov211; 12-13-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
Same with this device. I simulated the [dis-] charging with a lamp. Connect a powerful lamp and measure the voltage ; exactly at 13.0V the charger switches on. I removed the lamp ; at 14,4V it stopped charging. No sweat, no cost too..

Old 12-13-2018, 02:43 PM

Well, I went ahead and bought the CTEK MUS4.2. I appreciate the help.

Now can I sit in the car and listen to radio without the engine on as long as the CTEK is plugged in? At the moment, it goes into power save mode and shuts it down after a few minutes.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

No, it won't help you with that.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:32 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by DJS
No, it won't help you with that.
Dang.

I don’t think I’m the only one who likes hanging out in the car just to listen to music or watch a DVD. It would have been nice for a passenger waiting in the car. Kinda self defeating huh? I always wanted to mention that.

Oh well.......

Old 12-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I went ahead and bought the CTEK MUS4.2. I appreciate the help.

Now can I sit in the car and listen to radio without the engine on as long as the CTEK is plugged in? At the moment, it goes into power save mode and shuts it down after a few minutes.
No, it will not permit that because the car is programmed to shut the radio unit down after a specified period of time to save battery power (this is in your owner's manual...you have read it, right?). The fact that you have the CTEK unit attached does no alter the programmed factory power-saving mode. But it will ensure that your battery will be kept in proper condition.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Dang.

I don’t think I’m the only one who likes hanging out in the car just to listen to music or watch a DVD. It would have been nice for a passenger waiting in the car. Kinda self defeating huh? I always wanted to mention that.

Oh well.......
You might be one of a few...but the fact that the car is programmed this way is the proof that modern cars (by no means only Jaguars) need full battery voltage - and this is one way to safeguard the battery power.

Jagged Wire (12-13-2018)

Quick Reply: 2018 in the shop for second time in two weeks