Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 in the shop for second time in two weeks

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad25
Yeah I get it. This is my wifes car and she is a little upset about having a car that cost 100K and having to trickle charge it if it sits for more than three days. The dealer is 100% at loss for why this is happening. I showed them the forum thread and I don't think they take it seriously.
The battery management module needs to be rebooted. Disconnect the battery for a minute. I always reboot that module each time after the car is serviced.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
wow you must think we at dealers are morons. . If we don't know the damn car I guess an independent does???? We don't get sidelined by multiple faults and I do agree a bad battery causes a ton of issues that are not faults. Clear them out and drive or whatever you need to do and evaluate again. OBD2 access causing battery drain.????? Eating pickles will give you a boy if youre trying for kids too.. I have read that here before and NO ONE here or that I know as ever heard of this including reps that see ALL the issues across both brands Jaguar and Land Rover. I think its purely a coincidence every time someone says it. I mean if its on the internet its gotta be right.
This is exemplary of the problem. Nice work. User community identifies a highly reproducible problem, and identifies a reproducible solution, and brand representative mocks it.

The following users liked this post:
Arne (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is everyone plugging their Ctek in. I plug my ctek into the cigarette lighter plug in my 911, but if I use that in the Jag, It goes off in about 30 minutes. Is the Jag like our previous Macan? Al the auxiliary plugs shut off in 30 minutes.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:27 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Yep.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
This is exemplary of the problem. Nice work. User community identifies a highly reproducible problem, and identifies a reproducible solution, and brand representative mocks it.
first I am a tech that works at a dealer for 22 years not paid by Jaguar so NOT a rep. I call bs to not only independents, BUT other dealers too when they say some stupid crap like that's not covered under warranty etc.. I am just like everyone else here that owns a jaguar or 2, like to get info and share info. I just also happen to earn a good living working on them as well. I can tell you that I have gone through all the special service messages and tech bulletins that would pertain to this issue and there is nothing. AND I have enquired up the chain, nothing. NOT that it may not be out there but jaguar has issued NOTHING and they will send out special service messages with different issues they are aware of and working on a fix. Perhaps there is nothing because someone at the dealer that a owner went to is blowing smoke to put off a customer OR Jaguar themselves CANNOT duplicate a issue and therefor don't find it able to correct or the numbers are too small to address by product investigation. WHO KNOWS I am not a representative of Jaguar BUT I know what I see with issues that come out through email, ssm's, TSB,s etc. Reminds me of the website and all the mechanic memes about "every since you did my _______, now my ac doesn't work. or ever since you change my oil my mileage went down, or now my dog started farting or...... Ever think that maybe just maybe there are coincidences that happen. But online if 5 people say it , it becomes fact and is a HUGE problem world wide. I know I know big foot really does exist. Prove me wrong I have been before

HERE'S A EDIT, maybe the reason the battery is draining after a diagnostic session is because SOMEONE DID NOT USE A BATTERY CHARGER ON THE CAR WHILE RUNNING DIAG WITH A SCANNER!!!!!! This leaves the battery in a weakened state that may not recover when parked and then wakes up from low battery voltage and runs the battery all the way down on the customer(thinking out loud to potential)
This is NUMBER 1 thing to do when we start a session or use diag equipment. And Jaguar gets a report if a tech starts a session without a green ful battery session icon. Then you get shamed in a meeting or posted to the don't be this guy board. When you are in diag mode with scanners and the car is interrogated the modules are all up a running and it is a big load that can and does run down batteries. AND when ever we program ANYTHING the pc checks to make sure that battery voltage is above 12.5 or it wont let you go further until you hook up a charger and it is above 12.5 or you can brick a module or car. Soo long story short we don't see a issue with this and I don't think Jaguar does either from what I have seen because WE FOLLOW BEST PRACTICES. I mean come on we do 100's of diag sessions weekly here and 1000's a week world wide. And OBD2 access with state inspections as well. Maybe that's why we don't see the issue because we do sessions with battery charges hooked up to the cars and IF I need to something quick I have the car running. I don't know maybe this was all just a shot in the dark from one of those guys at a dealership that doesn't know a Ftype or Jaguars,

Last edited by Brutal; 01-03-2019 at 06:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
Noshame (01-03-2019), scm (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 04:34 PM

I tried this and it died the next day. We keep the keys in the house and it is always locked, even in the garage.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

OBD2 access causing battery drain.????? Eating pickles will give you a boy if youre trying for kids too.. I have read that here before and NO ONE here or that I know as ever heard of this including reps that see ALL the issues across both brands Jaguar and Land Rover. I think its purely a coincidence every time someone says it. I mean if its on the internet its gotta be right.
One time...maybe coincidental. Reproducible... not a chance it’s coincidental. So why can the issue be addressed by disconnecting the battery if it’s not a real phenomenon? Many folks on this forum have experienced it. Just because we’re reporting it on the internet doesn’t make it fake news. My dealer has thanked me for bringing this issue to their attention. It has saved them a lot of troubleshooting time.
Your detailed argument clearly illustrates your lack of understanding of this particular issue. If you are interested in understanding it, please pm me. I will gladly give you my phone number so that I can clearly describe what happens when this issue occurs.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-03-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:11 PM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

wow you must think we at dealers are morons. . If we don't know the damn car I guess an independent does???? We don't get sidelined by multiple faults and I do agree a bad battery causes a ton of issues that are not faults. Clear them out and drive or whatever you need to do and evaluate again. OBD2 access causing battery drain.????? Eating pickles will give you a boy if youre trying for kids too.. I have read that here before and NO ONE here or that I know as ever heard of this including reps that see ALL the issues across both brands Jaguar and Land Rover. I think its purely a coincidence every time someone says it. I mean if its on the internet its gotta be right.
You didn't even read what I wrote which is a perfect example of how the dealers are so clueless. The dealer ruined my car and they didn't even know it. I took them by the nose and shoved into the patch needed to fix the car after they destroyed it. It took months for them to admit they did the damage. They cluelessly loaded the wrong software, making the car sound like a Toyota Corolla. They couldn't even tell. Worst car ownership experience of my life, with the only car I've ever loved. Total idiots.

And why did they load the wrong software? Because they misdiagnosed a simple known condition that imobilized the car. I had acessed the ODBII reader to read a check engine light caused by a low battery state. I had to tell them how to fix that too.

The car still isn't 100% from the dealer damage, but it is good enough to pull it away from those morons.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 01-03-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by unhingd
one time...maybe coincidental. Reproducible... Not a chance it’s coincidental. So why can the issue be addressed by disconnecting the battery if it’s not a real phenomenon? Many folks on this forum have experienced it. Just because we’re reporting it on the internet doesn’t make it fake news. My dealer has thanked me for bringing this issue to their attention. It has saved them a lot of troubleshooting time.
Your detailed argument clearly illustrates your lack of understanding of this particular issue. If you are interested in understanding it, please pm me. I will gladly give you my phone number so that i can clearly describe what happens when this issue occurs.
ill take you up on that because god kows i dont have the time or patience to read evry single post or thread. I spend way to much time on the internet as it is. Like i said i have been wrong before YOUR MAILBOX IS FULL, PM ME

Old 01-04-2019, 09:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HERE'S A EDIT, maybe the reason the battery is draining after a diagnostic session is because SOMEONE DID NOT USE A BATTERY CHARGER ON THE CAR WHILE RUNNING DIAG WITH A SCANNER!!!!!! This leaves the battery in a weakened state that may not recover when parked and then wakes up from low battery voltage and runs the battery all the way down on the customer(thinking out loud to potential)
This seems to make the most sense to me. At first, I was a bit perplexed how plugging into the OBDII port would cause a battery failure or cause the battery to drain, but thinking back into the Mustang community on the 2011+ Mustangs, while uploading a tune into your car, the ECU will brick sometimes because it draws so much power. You will either have to turn everything off, radio, climate control systems, roll the windows down before your start etc. to limit the drain on the battery. I would personally venture to guess that this may be the culprit that many are coming across. I guess it wouldn't hurt to give'er a go and see what happens in your personal endeavors.

Also, in the Mustang community, a lot of guys use the Battery Tender Smart Chargers which sounds like the same thing as the CTEK unit only it ships from the US so those here don't have to pay the shipping from Australia.

Battery Tender® Plus 12V 1.25 Amp Battery Charger

Old 01-04-2019, 09:44 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

When I bought my F-Type the sales guy told me they had to connect a battery charger when doing software updates - he said he didn't understand why but that was the procedure .....

Old 01-04-2019, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

YOUR MAILBOX IS FULL, PM ME
Old messages deleted and pm sent.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:00 PM

Jaguar is buying it back for the full MSRP, we awere nervous going into another Ftype so we just rolled our existing loan over into a 2019 Range Rover Sport V8.

What ever we have paid on the Jag will be carried over to the RRS. Took a while but they came through.

We will be picking it up this afternoon : )

Old 02-15-2019, 01:45 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Glad Jag stepped up. A shame it didn't work out.

Brad25 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
One time...maybe coincidental. Reproducible... not a chance it’s coincidental. So why can the issue be addressed by disconnecting the battery if it’s not a real phenomenon? Many folks on this forum have experienced it. Just because we’re reporting it on the internet doesn’t make it fake news. My dealer has thanked me for bringing this issue to their attention. It has saved them a lot of troubleshooting time.
Your detailed argument clearly illustrates your lack of understanding of this particular issue. If you are interested in understanding it, please pm me. I will gladly give you my phone number so that I can clearly describe what happens when this issue occurs.
After you and I talked over the phone I did some research as to possible issues.
1) the hazard light is direct wired into the medium speed CAN network. if this light is lit the medium speed CAN network is still awake. ie a module is still awake on the medium speed. To diagnose which this I would estimate you would have to use sdd to start a session reading all the modules talking on the networks, put sdd on the roof with cables out the open window. Shut the car off, monitor the hazard light and if still on after say minutes. reread sdd modules and see which are still awake. (this may or may not work as it might wake them all up again, but its a thought.
2) could be a module failure not going to sleep and just a module failure or....
3) reading info about different scanners and software especially useful was info provided by elm327 in that they state that cheaper Chinese products can induce faults into a car not there before and they list the different versions of their Bluetooth OBD2 interface that are the cheaper Chinese issues. THEY ARE THE MOST PREVALENT ON AMAZON, AND EBAY!!!!! So there is a possibility that aftermarket scanners, software , inspection machines etc ARE creating the issue. Reaching up into Jaguar to 2 of my friends that are in the know about issue not even at the dealer level said they have not heard anything with OUR software causing this issue. And if there is it may be because some dealers I know use cheaper interface modules between sdd and the car. or could be a corrupt machine with a bag. Totally thinking out loud and passing along info.

u102768 (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

So there is a possibility that aftermarket scanners, software , inspection machines etc ARE creating the issue.
I can totally believe that. My '07 XKR stalled a number of times and I eventually realised that it coincided with me using my Chinese sourced elm327 to monitor OBD metrics.

The last time it happened the car was totally dead and the only way I could restart it was to disconnect the battery. I bought a new OBD dongle after that!

Old 02-17-2019, 09:00 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I had my car serviced in early January. Sure enough the next day it had the battery light. I had a brand new battery in the car when I bought it (cert. pre-owned) and now wonder if it had this issue previously. I got the car in July and I have left it for 2 weeks at a time. No issues. After the service here we go. I do not agree with the “because you are not using it for a few days the battery needs to be on a charger”. My Porsche would go 2-3 months. Even my Lotus would do fine. I new have a CTek 4.3 and will see how it does in the spring. I have not disconnected the battery and I am not going to take it out of storage till spring. I hope that is the fix. Bottom line for me is I should be able to lock my car and leave it for a few weeks without issue.
Can someone explain in more detail the hazard lite staying lit? Mine does go out after a fairly short amount of time. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by usgpru27
I had my car serviced in early January. Sure enough the next day it had the battery light. I had a brand new battery in the car when I bought it (cert. pre-owned) and now wonder if it had this issue previously. I got the car in July and I have left it for 2 weeks at a time. No issues. After the service here we go. I do not agree with the “because you are not using it for a few days the battery needs to be on a charger”. My Porsche would go 2-3 months. Even my Lotus would do fine. I new have a CTek 4.3 and will see how it does in the spring. I have not disconnected the battery and I am not going to take it out of storage till spring. I hope that is the fix. Bottom line for me is I should be able to lock my car and leave it for a few weeks without issue.
Can someone explain in more detail the hazard lite staying lit? Mine does go out after a fairly short amount of time. Thanks!
just disconnect your battery for about 15 seconds. That will reboot the battery management module. Ctek not needed unless the car will sit for several weeks.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I went to the dealer the next morning and they found nothing wrong... Sure... They may have done the disconnect... I put it in storage that night with the charger... Yes I agree I should not need the charger... I think I will do the disconnect / reconnect and let it sit for a few weeks to see. I am moving to Charleston in the spring and do not want any issues getting it down there. I have to put it in an enclosed storage unit for an unspecified time without electric so would like to have piece of mind. Thanks for moving me forward. Time for her to wake up from her winter nap.