Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3D-printed titanium wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by KVO
Plenty of brands that do make OEM level wheels - in some contries down here your aftermarket wheels need to be of OEM level quality to pass tech inspections - I.e. come with a OEM quality level certification.

Still, the vid still only shows it can be done, and to what possible extend - if HRE would have created a wheel good enough for real life use, that would be shown as well.
This is imo for now at least, just to showcase HRE's skills.
One can build a rocket, but make it go to the moon is next level.
The TUV certification simply requires wheels to pass structural fatigue and impact tests at a third party facility. This is far from an OEM level engineered wheel. Most wheel manufacturers can make a wheel that will pass TUV requirements, but it will be far from optimized for weight and performance. TUV also completely ignores corrosion/surface finish quality.

This is obviously a concept wheel, just like every OEM puts out at auto shows. I'd be willing to bet this wheel is good enough for real life use, but they are using it as a market research tool to determine if there is any profit to be made. No reason to set up a production line if no one will buy them. Either way, I assure you if anyone can go to the moon of wheels, its HRE.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I'm pretty sure the average person won't be sporting for 3-D printed titanium wheel either. I haven't looked, but did anyone get some idea of cost?
Originally Posted by Unhingd
Or, for that matter, get a custom short shifter, competition clutch and one piece flywheel fabricated.
I haven't heard anyone here accusing you of being Mr. Average :-)

I suspect that custom titanium wheels are a significant incremental leap in cost over those things, but I could be wrong. It's happened before and will happen again.

As for custom dampers, I'll note that as good as my 748 was stock, it was even better after I changed the spring and revalved the shock (Race-Tech parts, but I did the work myself). I'd like to lower my F but clearance is already a problem in my daily driving.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:53 PM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

@ Stohlen - I do not doubt HRE's quality and reputation - it is a very good brand for sure - but to make it sound that only them can build a wheel that can meet or exceed OEM specs - which is not that hard to start with - you really do a lot of companies short...

I did not even mention TUV, but for sure OEM wheels will need to go through the same TUV tests to get raod approval in for sure Germany.
And as far as I know, TUV does include corrosion and finish test as well.

As for finish quality - a quick look at HRE's site - 2 year warranty on finish only, that is for wheels of an expensive premium brand, really not much to be honest!
I do own way, way, cheaper wheels that came with a very reputable 5 year warranty on finish, and I can safely drive them in the winter as well without worrying about loosing my finish warranty.

HRE quote:
"The wheel finish is warranted to the original purchaser/consumer for a period of two (2) years from the date of purchase to be able to withstand non-hazardous weather and climatic conditions, non-hazardous paved road conditions and typical operating temperatures for normal driving."

Excluded from warranty - again as per HRE's site, and among other exclusions:
"Exposure to road salt or other hazardous chemicals used on roadways during inclement weather."

Old 11-16-2018, 03:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I suspect that custom titanium wheels are a significant incremental leap in cost over those things...
I don't think it would be an incremental increase, I'd guess a multiplier, maybe a big one. Found an article from 2015, which mentioned powdered titanium was in the $300-600 per kilogram range. That's just the raw material. Has to be sintered somehow either while or after it's printed.

If this were a finished product, I wouldn't be surprised if you're talking as much as $10k per wheel (or more). But just guessing.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I don't think it would be an incremental increase, I'd guess a multiplier, maybe a big one. Found an article from 2015, which mentioned powdered titanium was in the $300-600 per kilogram range. That's just the raw material. Has to be sintered somehow either while or after it's printed.

If this were a finished product, I wouldn't be surprised if you're talking as much as $10k per wheel (or more). But just guessing.
CF will be in the range of $12k per set and similar weight, so I'm not certain I see the advantage of titanium except for the cool factor.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:18 AM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

I am glad to read that someone else realizes the need to retune the suspension with corresponding unsprung weight reduction. I raised this a while back when everybody was all drinking the koolaid of the weight savings from lighter rotors...

While indeed springs should be replaced accordingly, dampening is far more important in realizing the potential benefits.

The current dampers, the Bilstein Damptronic, are electronically controlled and they CAN be recalibrated. I shaved around 23lbs per corner and it makes a BIG difference with proper calibration. You of course only benefit on regular street use where the suspension needs to travel due to tarmac imperfections.

Personally, I hate the look of those wheels,

Old 11-18-2018, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by FType17
Personally, I hate the look of those wheels,
Simple fix....and would surely negate the need to re-calibrate.

(Just kidding, of course)