Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 3D-printed titanium wheel!

video about it:

Last edited by Forrest Keith; 11-15-2018 at 08:59 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-15-2018, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Too bad it’s hideous.

I would imagine the weight of this wheel is so minuscule it would mess up suspension dynamics/tuning because of how much unsprung weight was lost. I’d be seriously concerned about ride quality.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Too bad it’s hideous.

I would imagine the weight of this wheel is so minuscule it would mess up suspension dynamics/tuning because of how much unsprung weight was lost. I’d be seriously concerned about ride quality.
?!

Old 11-15-2018, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

Whether you like the styling or not,

I just CRINGE when thinking about cleaning a set of those things! Especially, given the dust potential of the standard JLR brake pads.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Geez that wheel is ugly. Less is more. But the tech is great.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:54 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

If you could afford them, you'd be paying someone else to clean them.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Forrest Keith
?!
Which part are you questioning?

Old 11-15-2018, 10:57 AM

Which part are you questioning?
Your concern about ride quality due to less unsprung weight. Is less unsprung weight not one of the top goals of/for a performance car?

Old 11-15-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Forrest Keith
Your concern about ride quality due to less unsprung weight. Is less unsprung weight not one of the top goals of/for a performance car?
Oh it absolutely is... but when designing a car with that goal in mind, the OEM designs the suspension/chassis to match the low unsprung weight. If you throw these wheels on that weigh 3x... 4x... 5x... less than the factory wheels, your shock tuning is going to be way off and your spring rate probably would need to change too for ideal handling and ride. This isn’t something that can be easily fixed without custom shocks and springs. And even that might not be enough to get it back to stock ride. A few pounds per corner with lightweight wheels is relatively tolerable, but these wheels might reduce wheel assembly weight by over 50%, including the tires and that’s a huge change.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:20 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Nicely done, no doubt about that, but now a vid in which such a printed wheel goes through a stress test.
Would be surprised if it could beat a billet made wheel...

Old 11-15-2018, 11:38 AM

Oh it absolutely is... but when designing a car with that goal in mind, the OEM designs the suspension/chassis to match the low unsprung weight. If you throw these wheels on that weigh 3x... 4x... 5x... less than the factory wheels, your shock tuning is going to be way off and your spring rate probably would need to change too for ideal handling and ride. This isn’t something that can be easily fixed without custom shocks and springs. And even that might not be enough to get it back to stock ride. A few pounds per corner with lightweight wheels is relatively tolerable, but these wheels might reduce wheel assembly weight by over 50%, including the tires and that’s a huge change.
Wow. Thanks for the edification; I'd have never guessed. (I'm no modifier, in case that wasn't obvious -- aftermarket rims is it for me.) Thanks, Stohlen.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by KVO
Nicely done, no doubt about that, but now a vid in which such a printed wheel goes through a stress test.
Would be surprised if it could beat a billet made wheel...
HRE is one of the only aftermarket wheel companies that engineers their wheels to an OEM level. They put a considerable amount of resources and testing into developing wheels for actual road use. Extensive CAD work and R&D go into each design, which is part of the reason they’re so expensive. HRE is one of the only aftermarket companies I’d consider buying from.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

I'm sure the over the top looks are more of a design study...showing what can be done.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I agree it's a proof of manufacturing concept as much as design concept effort. I really appreciate the tech here and it shows how much innovation is possible with new materials and processing.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Too bad it’s hideous.

yes, but not too difficult to run the math and get the right spring and damping rates installed.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd

yes, but not too difficult to run the math and get the right spring and damping rates installed.
True, but that means custom springs and customer dampeners. The average person won't be willing to do that.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

True, but that means custom springs and customer dampeners. The average person won't be willing to do that.
I'm pretty sure the average person won't be sporting for 3-D printed titanium wheel either. I haven't looked, but did anyone get some idea of cost?

Old 11-16-2018, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I'm pretty sure the average person won't be sporting for 3-D printed titanium wheel either.
Or, for that matter, get a custom short shifter, competition clutch and one piece flywheel fabricated.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:07 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

HRE is one of the only aftermarket wheel companies that engineers their wheels to an OEM level. They put a considerable amount of resources and testing into developing wheels for actual road use. Extensive CAD work and R&D go into each design, which is part of the reason they’re so expensive. HRE is one of the only aftermarket companies I’d consider buying from.
Plenty of brands that do make OEM level wheels - in some contries down here your aftermarket wheels need to be of OEM level quality to pass tech inspections - I.e. come with a OEM quality level certification.

Still, the vid still only shows it can be done, and to what possible extend - if HRE would have created a wheel good enough for real life use, that would be shown as well.
This is imo for now at least, just to showcase HRE's skills.
One can build a rocket, but make it go to the moon is next level.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

A wheel like this is not going to be installed on a bare bones, off the shelf stock shock equipped card. If you have to ask the price......
The owner will not be worrying about who cleans the wheels either. Suffice to say, These wheels will be on a rather custom application that will get pampered between drives.

Quick Reply: 3D-printed titanium wheel!