F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

400 Sport v R at NOLA Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 09:44 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 400 Sport v R at NOLA Motorsports

Thought I would share this video comparing my father and my track times.
This is his 2nd track day (in Oct) and my 3rd track day (in Jun).
We intended a re-match of our April outing where my best lap time was better by 0.5 seconds, but couldn't coordinate until Oct.
My Oct time was materially faster, but I have had a few more track days since June, so I thought this comparison was more equitable.
He winds up besting me by ~0.7 seconds, and picked up ~6 seconds over his prior best.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jamal302:
BruceTheQuail (11-20-2022), jcb-memphis (11-19-2022), Mbourne (11-10-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 06:55 PM
Received 244 Likes on 125 Posts

The 400 was smoother in the corners probbaly because it has less torque.... and holding 4-10mph faster on non-straights...could be tires or awd versus rwd if you R is rwd.

The V6 understeers less and it shows. The v8 is nose heavy....just is. And while the R is fast, 400 hp and 340ft lbs is not "nothing"...the zf8 makes us all heroes too.

Thanks for sharing.

The following users liked this post:
Jamal302 (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,185 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
The 400 was smoother in the corners probbaly because it has less torque.... and holding 4-10mph faster on non-straights...could be tires or awd versus rwd if you R is rwd.

The V6 understeers less and it shows. The v8 is nose heavy....just is. And while the R is fast, 400 hp and 340ft lbs is not "nothing"...the zf8 makes us all heroes too.

Thanks for sharing.
I can tell by the first pic that it is the other way around - the R is AWD and 400 is RWD!
So an even greater weight advantage to the 400 which maybe is the main explanation.

Jamal302 (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis

Thanks for sharing.
I think in this case it was a more skilled driver in the 400 (my father) being able to nip a less skilled driver in the R (me).
The tires are comparable with possibly a bit of an edge to the R.
I was able to pick up considerable time compared to the lap in the video, and I am sure there is more time on the table for both cars.
The R AWD does feel more nose heavy, and less on its toes than the 400 Sport (RWD). I am hoping that I get an opportunity to track it sometime soon.
I was hoping moving to a tire with a stiffer sidewall (Yokohama V601) would give the R a feel closer to that of the 400, but the 400 still feels lighter, and more eager to change directions.

Old 11-19-2022, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I can tell by the first pic that it is the other way around - the R is AWD and 400 is RWD!
So an even greater weight advantage to the 400 which maybe is the main explanation.

Good eyes, and that difference in weight is concentrated over the front axle.

I also out mass my dad, but we aren't going to talk about that lol

Old 11-19-2022, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,185 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamal302
Good eyes, and that difference in weight is concentrated over the front axle.

I also out mass my dad, but we aren't going to talk about that lol
Not good eyes, my eyesight is crap!
But the pic is clear enough even to me to make out the distinct differences in the bonnet vent shapes and locations - as every train spotter F-Type enthusiast knows the vents are shaped differently and the AWD vents are further forward and further apart than the RWD vents.

Old 11-20-2022, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,284 Likes on 884 Posts

Nice driving from both of you. The 400 is a real weapon on the track, of all of the Jags I've driven on the Jag car supplied track days, I liked it the best and got the most out of it. But then again, it is closest to my daily, to drive, so I'm pretty familiar with it.

Jamal302 (11-20-2022)

Trending Topics

Old 11-20-2022, 02:31 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

wasn't there a run of an R AWD VelocityAP Stage 2 with 610 hp, which was 10 seconds faster on the same circuit? Unfortunately, I can't find it anymore...

Old 11-20-2022, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
wasn't there a run of an R AWD VelocityAP Stage 2 with 610 hp, which was 10 seconds faster on the same circuit? Unfortunately, I can't find it anymore...
If it was a recent post, that was me again. I am all stock except for a Valvetronic exhaust (still have a bit of warranty left).
I posted the comparison video showing my father's best from October versus mine from April since the experience levels were comparable (2 track days vs 3).
I did some more track days since April and improved my time. The 10 seconds in my case was mostly driver mod (cooler weather and new tires helping as well).

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2-06-a-264407/

Old 11-20-2022, 08:46 AM

ok thank you, but when the same driver sitting in the R AWD VelocityAP Stage2 and after in the 400er V6, which car is faster?
BR
Andi

Old 11-20-2022, 09:33 AM

ok thank you, but when the same driver sitting in the R AWD VelocityAP Stage2 and after in the 400er V6, which car is faster?
BR
Andi
Still at 550HP, but I am sure I would be faster if only due to familiarity.
I wanted to track both of them at an upcoming track day, so I could do the apples to apples test on the same day, but the auto start/stop in the 400 decided to act up (immobilizing the car), so only God knows when it will return from the dealer. I think the R's AWD aided acceleration would be enough to give it the win. In the 2:06 video the Corvette and 1LE did better in some corners, but my ability to accelerate earlier helped me to close the gap. But I don't think the gap between R and 400 would be as large as some imagine.

Old 11-20-2022, 10:03 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Great job on the video. I found the peak speed differences quite interesting. It's been quite a while since I've done any track stuff and I do miss it! Health has been bad. Maybe now that I'm doing a bit better, I'll get back into it. Unfortunately, they just closed PBIR, (Palm Beach Intl raceway, the old Moroso) the track directly behind my house.

I've got a 2017 V6s. Love the thing.

Old 11-20-2022, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by cujet
Great job on the video. I found the peak speed differences quite interesting. It's been quite a while since I've done any track stuff and I do miss it! Health has been bad. Maybe now that I'm doing a bit better, I'll get back into it. Unfortunately, they just closed PBIR, (Palm Beach Intl raceway, the old Moroso) the track directly behind my house.

I've got a 2017 V6s. Love the thing.
Thanks! I think there is an opportunity for my dad to brake later which would get the peak speeds up.
130 shouldn't be a challenge (He's hit 128 before), and I think 132-134 is doable with a great exit on turn 16.
I need to look at his line between turns 1 and 2 because he is still hitting a higher max speed there than I am.

Glad to hear your health is improving. Sucks PBIR shutdown, but it looks like Sebring isn't too far away and it seems they have some SCCA and club events there.
I love the scream of the V6, and once my father's warranty is gone, I will increase my lobbying for him to add an exhaust.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:52 PM

I did the advanced Skippy School (open wheel nonsense) at Sebring a long time ago. Had quite a few scares when other idiot drivers would deliberately place their wheels inside mine. Absolutely unnecessary at Sebring, as there is plenty of room for open wheel cars to be 3 or 4 abreast. As fast as the real race cars are, even my lowly Cessna 177RG can lap Sebring faster than the cars. Not that I've tried it..... But if I did,,, the Cessna is faster

But when it comes down to it, I like street cars on the track. It's a battle between makes, models and drivers. Makes for some great racing where the differences between cars offer advantages and disadvantages, unlike following some formula, where all the cars are identical down to the ounce, nobody can pass anyone and the difference between the slowest experienced novice and a pro is 1 second per lap. No thank you, I'm not interested in "follow the leader". The F-Type V6 vs. V8 comparo is epic. The same, but very different. Thanks for that.

This is worth watching, despite the fact that it won't show here.

Jamal302 (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 11:09 PM

But when it comes down to it, I like street cars on the track. It's a battle between makes, models and drivers. Makes for some great racing where the differences between cars offer advantages and disadvantages, unlike following some formula, where all the cars are identical down to the ounce, nobody can pass anyone and the difference between the slowest experienced novice and a pro is 1 second per lap. No thank you, I'm not interested in "follow the leader". The F-Type V6 vs. V8 comparo is epic. The same, but very different. Thanks for that.
Thanks, I like seeing real street cars go at it more than spec racers as well. Different powerbands, different weight distributions, the different lines between front, mid, and rear engine, and different line for AWD, FWD, and RWD. Looking at my laps behind the 1LE seeing he has more corner grip due to stickier tires, but how I can get on the gas sooner due to AWD is interesting to me. He takes a wider line in places because he can keep the average speed up, while it serves me better to get the car pointed to where I can hammer the gas faster.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:58 AM

I watched the video again carefully. With VAP Stage 2 or Stage 3, you should be able to get about 5-7 seconds out of the short, straight passages to the series 550PS. How do I get it? From my own experience, I know very well the difference at 60 to 120 m/h, which is around 2 seconds at Stage 3. Derived from this, a total of 5-7 seconds should be possible with VAP Stage3, even if the cornering speed doesn't improve, of course :-)

Jamal302 (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 09:49 AM

I am thinking that tires on the V8 are critical. Maybe that's all you need to beat dad at his own game... I keep thinking of the fastest Camaro's. They have huge tires! I'm not a Camaro driver, but I think all that mass has a tendency to overheat lesser tires and lap times suffer. Once the guys started putting NASCAR sized wheels and tires on, the Camaro became an epic fast car on a good track. I'm guessing the V8 F-Type might be similar, but just a guess.

Old 11-26-2022, 10:38 PM

I am thinking that tires on the V8 are critical. Maybe that's all you need to beat dad at his own game... I keep thinking of the fastest Camaro's. They have huge tires! I'm not a Camaro driver, but I think all that mass has a tendency to overheat lesser tires and lap times suffer. Once the guys started putting NASCAR sized wheels and tires on, the Camaro became an epic fast car on a good track. I'm guessing the V8 F-Type might be similar, but just a guess.
I would agree that these heavy cats tend to punish the tires a bit. I think the Camaro I was chasing overheated his tires a bit leading to his code brown moment at the end of the video with my personal best, and that's with 325 rears. I spent a much of this day working out what air pressure the Yokes like and how quickly they come up to temperature. 1st outing I wound up with pressures to high, over corrected and wound up with pressures too low and ran a second slower than the first outing. Nailed pressure in the third session and dropped 3 seconds.

cujet (11-27-2022)
Old 04-05-2023, 11:03 PM

I watched the video again carefully. With VAP Stage 2 or Stage 3, you should be able to get about 5-7 seconds out of the short, straight passages to the series 550PS. How do I get it? From my own experience, I know very well the difference at 60 to 120 m/h, which is around 2 seconds at Stage 3. Derived from this, a total of 5-7 seconds should be possible with VAP Stage3, even if the cornering speed doesn't improve, of course :-)
I hope so.
My end goal for the R is to match the well driven GT3's on sticky tires that run at this track (Running 1:55's).
I know 2:05's are doable at stock power on 280 TW tires. (Current best is 2:06.7)
If I can do better than 2:05 this week I will go stage 3.
When the Yokes I am on (V601 280TW) wear out I will go either Nankang AR1 or Yoko AD09. (AR1's should be a tick faster, AD09's shouldn't murder me in the rain).
Hoping between driver mod, tires and power I can hit a 1:55.

I will be VAP stage 1 at this next track day, and I def feel the improvement.
I can spin tires at will in 1st gear where before this was a guilty pleasure reserved for cold weather.

Old 04-06-2023, 06:48 PM

Fuel quality and octane play a role in many modern engines. I do get better performance on my Stage 1 V6s with a higher octane fuel. I had a few jugs of VP C9 (non oxygenated, no ethanol, 95-96 octane unleaded) left over from my motorcycle projects, and the car seems to really like it. I did not dyno test it or race it. Just driving my normal route. But SOTP (seat of the pants) tells me it's better.

What do you use on the track, and does it perform better for you than pump gas?

Quick Reply: 400 Sport v R at NOLA Motorsports