Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 octane ethanol or 91 octane no ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Mguar
Look at the alcohol chain and compare it with the gasoline chain. See the extra Oxygen molecules?
High school chemistry would point out the flaws in that. There are no oxygen molecules in ethanol. There is only the ethanol molecule.

I am a tuner ( racers have to be)
Another interesting theory. I've known lots of racers that could turn a good lap but might not be able to find their own rear end with both hands and a flashlight.

Old 03-17-2024, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 350 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
High school chemistry would point out the flaws in that. There are no oxygen molecules in ethanol. There is only the ethanol molecule.

Another interesting theory. I've known lots of racers that could turn a good lap but might not be able to find their own rear end with both hands and a flashlight.
Please explain to me where I can find Ethanol on the periodic table of Elements.
See, I thought ethanol was a compound. Made up of the periodic elements.
The chemical compound of gasoline CnH2n + 2
While Ethanol is C2 H6 O
in short Ethanol has “free” oxygen while gasoline has none .

Last edited by Mguar; 03-17-2024 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:07 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Please explain to me where I can find Ethanol on the periodic table of Elements.
See, I thought ethanol was a compound. Made up of the periodic elements.
The chemical compound of gasoline CnH2n + 2
While Ethanol is C2 H6 O
in short Ethanol has “free” oxygen while gasoline has none .
Wow, where do I begin, so far you have used methanal and ethanol interchangeably and now you say ethanol has free oxygen. Then please explain why gasoline creates more energy than ethanol according to the Dept of energy. You might tune, but I have raced most of my life. Methanol, creates more energy than gas in an ICE, but it requires more fuel. Ethanol is used as a fuel stabilizer and in some areas as a gas substitute.
DOE site I got my info - DOE website

Old 03-17-2024, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by randyb
Wow, where do I begin
That was my thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecule
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_compound

Those would be a solid basis for rational discourse.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by randyb
Wow, where do I begin, so far you have used methanal and ethanol interchangeably and now you say ethanol has free oxygen. Then please explain why gasoline creates more energy than ethanol according to the Dept of energy. You might tune, but I have raced most of my life. Methanol, creates more energy than gas in an ICE, but it requires more fuel. Ethanol is used as a fuel stabilizer and in some areas as a gas substitute.
DOE site I got my info - DOE website
I’m sorry, but your reading comprehension needs some work.
First look up the difference between horsepower and energy. Apparently that is where you get confused.
I’ve have repeatedly stated very clearly the differences between methanol and ethanol.
Methanol you drink it you die.
Ethanol you drink it and you get happy.
Methanol is corrosive,
ETHANOL IS NOT.

I have never said you get better fuel mileage with ethanol than with gasoline. But it’s not as terrible as you pronounce.
E85 ( 85% ethanol) costs me 2 MPG IN MY FLEX FUEL F150 going to & from work.

I’ve been racing since 1962 every car I’ve raced has been one I’ve built. I’ve also worked with Methanol back in the 1960’s. ( Offy powered sprint car )
As far as free oxygen? Please look at the formula for gasoline and for ethanol. It will only take you a moment. Show me any oxygen in gasoline.

Finally. Grab any magazine or U tube site that compares E 85 with Gasoline.
heck I, ll google it right now for you.

Last edited by Mguar; 03-18-2024 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Finally. Grab any magazine or U tube site that compares E 85 with Gasoline.
heck I, ll google it right now for you.
A quick search gives me this:

"That said, E85 requires more volume per horsepower than gasoline and is a bit more corrosive, and these factors require the user to consider specific fuel system products, implement various compatible engine components, and take care to perform the added maintenance related to a more corrosive fuel."

https://www.dragzine.com/tech-storie...g-fuel-system/

Old 03-22-2024, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Several points. Have you ever drank Beer, Wine, or any alcoholic drink? If so you’ve drank Ethanol. Have you ever taken a pill? If so you’ve injested dried ethanol. ( pills are coated with shellac that is turned into a liquid using ethanol).
Ever been in a hospital? Chances are the smell is ethanol used for sanitation.
Ethanol is an alcohol. But not corrosive
But so is Methanol.
Methanol IS CORROSIVE but not used in gasoline. Methanol is also poison, deadly poison. Drink a glass and you die!
Methanol is cheaper than ethanol. Because it’s made with waste, coal, wood, garbage etc.
while Ethanol is made from Corn, grapes, etc. all good food stuff.
Methanol is deadly, breathe it and you’ll develop cancer of the lungs. Get it on your skin and your organs will become cancerous.
Breathe Ethanol and you could get drunk ( if you breathe enough.)
Get ethanol on your skin and you’ll feel its cooling rate.
Please don’t get them confused as do many people have. Yes they are both alcohol. But one is good and one is bad!
Second. Ethanol as a cleaner of engines. Gasoline when it is squirted into the inlet tract will leave a carbon deposit on the back side of the intake valve. ( to get enough gasoline into the engine the injector must start squirting before the intake valve opens. Gas hits the back side of the brake valve and turns to carbon. Gradually building up until your horsepower is dramatically reduced.
Ethanol is used to clean that carbon off. ( that’s what injector cleaner is made from)

Old 03-23-2024, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

You keep saying the same thing, but no matter how many times you repeat it, it won't become true.

Ethanol is, in fact, poisonous, but has an intoxicating effect in lower doses. Search for the following two things with google:

"is ethanol in fuel corrosive"
"alcohol poisoning"

Last edited by lizzardo; 03-23-2024 at 08:32 PM.