Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active exhaust

Hi guys,

Just picked up my 2.0 F-Type, super excited how it drives and all. Only regret I have is I did not get the active exhaust button. Are at the 2.0 F-Types generally super quiet compared to the V6. My exhaust does not seem to crackle and pop at all.....

Old 03-29-2019, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Type 2.0
Hi guys,

Just picked up my 2.0 F-Type, super excited how it drives and all. Only regret I have is I did not get the active exhaust button. Are at the 2.0 F-Types generally super quiet compared to the V6. My exhaust does not seem to crackle and pop at all.....
It certainly will be quieter than the V6. Do you have the active exhaust and just missing the button? If so, there are threads on how to keep those valves open all the time. Also, the car actually has to learn how to crackle and pop, and that won't happen until after the break-in period when you start hotrodding around.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It certainly will be quieter than the V6. Do you have the active exhaust and just missing the button? If so, there are threads on how to keep those valves open all the time. Also, the car actually has to learn how to crackle and pop, and that won't happen until after the break-in period when you start hotrodding around.
I do have active exhaust but no loud button, can you point me to to said threads? I've tried the fuse 15 method but unfortunately the car just goes into limo mode. How would the car learn how to crackle and pop? I'm guessing it's all software based?

Old 03-29-2019, 06:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Put it in S and Dynamic and it should be more sporty.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

I do have active exhaust but no loud button, can you point me to to said threads? I've tried the fuse 15 method but unfortunately the car just goes into limo mode. How would the car learn how to crackle and pop? I'm guessing it's all software based?
Three thing to try:
1. Do what Falkenhayn suggests,
2. Try pulling fuse F43 instead (hadn't heard about fuse 15, but that may be a 2.0 thing), or
3. Disconnect the vacuum hose at the muffler valve, cap the fitting on the valve and plug the hose.

The ECU will adapt to your driving style, which includes increasing the overrun fuel if it identifies you as a spirited driver. If you drive like grandma, you won't get much in the way of fireworks.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:13 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

[QUOTE=Unhingd;2047379]Three thing to try:
2. Try pulling fuse F43 instead (hadn't heard about fuse 15, but that may be a 2.0 thing), or
3. Disconnect the vacuum hose at the muffler valve, cap the fitting on the valve and plug the hose.

The ECU will adapt to your driving style, which includes increasing the overrun fuel if it identifies you as a spirited driver. If you drive like grandma, you won't get much in the way of fireworks.
"If you drive like grandma, you won't get much in the way of fireworks."

Ah ha, so that's why my base model V6 is fairly muffled (no pun intended) and I've averaged 24.2 MPG (computer read out, more likely around 22.7 or so) since it was new.
I did plug the vacuum lines to effect always open exhaust gates very early on but hooked everything back up just a few days ago. I actually like the sounds better without the gates open all the time. There are enough crackles and pops in Dynamic/Sport to suit me.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:06 AM

Three thing to try:

Will definitely try 1 and 3 today. Going by the owners manual fuse 15 is for the active exhaust. I don't have f43🤣

Old 03-29-2019, 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=fujicoupe;2047407]
Three thing to try:

"If you drive like grandma, you won't get much in the way of fireworks."

Ah ha, so that's why my base model V6 is fairly muffled (no pun intended) and I've averaged 24.2 MPG (computer read out, more likely around 22.7 or so) since it was new.
I did plug the vacuum lines to effect always open exhaust gates very early on but hooked everything back up just a few days ago. I actually like the sounds better without the gates open all the time. There are enough crackles and pops in Dynamic/Sport to suit me.

I regret not going for the V6 very much. The 2.0 sounds like a Prius besides the V6

Old 03-29-2019, 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=F-Type 2.0;2047438]
Originally Posted by fujicoupe

I regret not going for the V6 very much. The 2.0 sounds like a Prius besides the V6

Dont worry i got mine 2 months ago and was thinking the same thing. When you get over the 1500-1700 mile mark she really opens up. I was gonna pull the fuse and have it in active exhaust all the time but after the break in period it sounds great. If you want it to crackle just put it in race mode and S go over 4-5k rpm and let of the gas. It has gotten a 60% sound improvement after break in so don't worry, and if you decide to pull the fuse take a video would love to see what it sounds like

Last edited by Tsar21; 03-29-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=Tsar21;2047500]

Dont worry i got mine 2 months ago and was thinking the same thing. When you get over the 1500-1700 mile mark she really opens up. I was gonna pull the fuse and have it in active exhaust all the time but after the break in period it sounds great. If you want it to crackle just put it in race mode and S go over 4-5k rpm and let of the gas. It has gotten a 60% sound improvement after break in so don't worry, and if you decide to pull the fuse take a video would love to see what it sounds like
Canadian car here... Only have about 2000km to go😂

Old 03-29-2019, 08:30 PM

Three thing to try:

Plugged the hose and muffler cap finally starting to hear some fireworks

Old 03-30-2019, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Yes, if you're averaging 24 mpg, you've been in granny mode the whole time. I average around 16-17 mpg in normal operating mode and less than 13mpg in unhingd mode. In cruise control, I will average 28mpg+. (these are indicated numbers, not actual).

Old 03-30-2019, 08:05 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Yes, if you're averaging 24 mpg, you've been in granny mode the whole time. I average around 16-17 mpg in normal operating mode and less than 13mpg in unhingd mode. In cruise control, I will average 28mpg+. (these are indicated numbers, not actual).
Uh, no., My start up sequence is: Ignition, engage dynamic mode, de-activate ECO mode, press memory switch #1 for seating and mirror settings, put on aviator style sunglasses(cuz the sun always shines in SC); and finally, at first engagement of forward gear, move shifter to Sport mode. All Dynamic/Sport, all the time. Auto start/stop NEVER.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

Do not touch the fuse it goes straight to limp mode, block the valve tube, go to your local exhaust centre, rear box off and straight pipes out to two 3.5" tail pipes, bangs and crackles galore, also the trick is you have to over rev in each gear but feather the throttle slightly and it will increases the noise. I had this done within the first 3 weeks of owning the car, the rear rectangular tailpipe IMO look crap

Last edited by powerhouse; 03-30-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:46 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Thank you for this post. I was beginning to worry something was wrong with my car after seeing other people post their averages. Almost all of my driving is in town so a lot of stop and go. When I can go, I GO! My usual indicated average is between 10.5 and 13(ish). When I do get on a fairly open interstate it creeps back to the high teens. Driving home from the dealer on interstates and mostly cruise control, it did much better with the fuel cunsumption. I don’t really care about those numbers because of the low number of miles I put on my cars, but you did just make me feel better.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:04 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I too was not happy with the noise from my 2.0

After about 3000 miles mine is better. Put it in dynamic S and hot rod a bit.

i would swear mine has gotten louder lately. I feel less about the noise being too quiet.

mine crackles and pops. Not real loud.

Unlike earlier models mone does not have a fuse panel in the passenger footwell with a #43 fuse. #14 goes into limp mode.

Just went for a ride. The car corners ridiculously well. The expression “on rails” comes to mind.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:57 PM

Gas prices must be cheap to always drive at 13mpg

Old 03-31-2019, 05:16 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

If you've paid over $100k for the car, the fuel cost is the least of your worries.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:30 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Gas prices must be cheap to always drive at 13mpg
To some I’m sure sure is here, but again I’m not terribly concerned since my office is only 5 or so miles from home so we aren’t talking lots of miles. If I were to be doing longer trips or something then it might be an issue. As it is I only fill up every week and a half or so.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by PBBarb
To some I’m sure sure is here, but again I’m not terribly concerned since my office is only 5 or so miles from home so we aren’t talking lots of miles. If I were to be doing longer trips or something then it might be an issue. As it is I only fill up every week and a half or so.
I'm about the same for work, gonna be a while before I hit that 2-3k mile mark

Quick Reply: Active exhaust