Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AJ133 Project update

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 11:40 AM
Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default AJ133 Project update

All,

Hope everyone is well. I have been working with various entities in regard to a fully built AJ133 and as you all know many of the items needed do not exist. The reason for this post is to ask AJ133 members if anyone has a detailed print or working CAD Model of our crankshaft or point me in the direction of a reliable source to create one.

On a positive note, once the project is complete a path will be provided for other members to purchase components required for high boost and I will provide the list of manufactures for each item to replicate the build in interested. The crankshaft will be the most expensive item outside the purchase of the long block from Tapa Jaguar see below

Hello Philip,

Sorry but we only build crankshafts.

Due to our current workload and backlog we will not be taking on any new projects until January 2023. For us to build 1 crankshaft that we have not before, we would a physical sample, detailed print or working CAD Model of the crankshaft.

Block not needed. APPROXIMATE costs for what you are asking:

Engineering, Programming and Tooling - 1 time charge $8,500.00 to $9,500.00 depending on the complexity of the crankshaft.

Cost per crank - I believe it is V8, so probably around $5,500.00 to $6,000.00 plus Mallory (heavy metal used to internally balance) plus freight.

Best regards,

Jim

The reason for buying the long block is to reduce downtime of my jag and allow reverse engineering/fitment for several components. The block will be sent to several places throughout the US and hopefully end up at velocityAP for final tune.

The following 3 users liked this post by pab74:
datriani (08-15-2022), Panthro (12-14-2023), Sparky H (07-17-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 12:04 PM
Received 135 Likes on 109 Posts

So what transmission is going to go behind this beast? The existing one is supposedly near its limit even with a tuned OEM engine.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:05 PM

Kb58,
The current configuration ZF will handle around 730 pounds of torque. Depending on where we get in the realm of power/torque if fortification is required it would be conducted through pure drivetrain solutions.

Pure Drivetrain Solutions

With current mods the engine should be putting out anywhere from 650 to 675. I have not had the opportunity to dyno the car yet. The goal of the engine build is to have a foundation that can handle 1000hp as a daily driver. This will be a slow and very expensive process due to having to pay for engineering as you can see with the crank but in the end, my love for the F-type drives the project and in my opinion the car has not gotten the due attention in the aftermarket world. Take care
Philip

The following 2 users liked this post by pab74:
Nodnarb (07-18-2022), Panthro (12-14-2023)
Old 07-16-2022, 05:20 PM
Received 135 Likes on 109 Posts

How much are you willing to dump into a drivetrain that can reliably generate 1000hp?
How much are you willing to dump into a Jaguar drivetrain that can reliably generate 1000hp?

A twin turbo LS engine would do this no sweat, and probably for much less than trying to stick with Jag parts. In fact, you're already changing the crank, so it's already no longer an entirely-Jag engine. Next will no doubt be rods, then pistons, and at least regrinding the cam, then there's sleeving the block, etc. It comes down to defining your goal; it's not going to stay a true Jag engine already, so where's your limit on claiming that it still is one?

Obviously we'll cheer you on, regardless, but people are great at encouraging others to spend money, and they're never around when it breaks.

Last edited by kb58; 07-16-2022 at 05:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (07-31-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 05:44 PM
Received 2,619 Likes on 1,806 Posts

One issue I feel should be addressed if one is going to begin modifying an AJ133 is to extend the block cooling jackets further down into the casting.

Perhaps it would be less complicated and expensive to simply purchase a GM product with their pushrod engine and modify that, or purchase a Ford product with the more advanced Coyote engine and drivetrain and modify that. There are extensive aftermarket performance parts for both Ford and GM engines and would not require any 'reengineering' on your part.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:04 PM

Kb58,

Haven’t really thought about a price limit. This will be my second full build project. The first was a daily driven Honda prelude running 18 PSI with a T3/T4 custom Turbo system built by JE Import Performance in Mayland. In the end the car dynode at 486 at the wheels and in my opinion is impressive coming from a 2.2 engine.

Honda has massive aftermarket support and, in the end, the only oem parts on the car were the engine/transmission shell. Every aspect of the car had to be upgraded including CV axles etc.

I won’t be able to stick with Jag parts at all for this build. Velocity is making upgraded rods and pistons and the tapa block comes sleeved. Right now, I am reaching out for fortified main caps for the block as well as having the block inspected/measured for uniformity. Then the focus will go towards the top end of the engine and crower/eibach makes custom valvetrain components.

The only claim will be a fully built Jag with listed parts used to create the overall result. Even with a fully built custom setup I will heavily rely on the tuner to ensure that the power level is not set to the point of near catastrophic failure.

Panthro (12-14-2023)
Old 07-16-2022, 06:28 PM

NBCat,

I agree it may be cheaper and less complicated although engine swaps that are uncommon can be very challenging as well. Cooling is going to be a major factor which discussion is ongoing with several entities. There are many unknowns right now with the main focus on gathering information and input from several shops/manufactures who are willing to take one the project. I really would like to keep as much Jag as possible even if it's just the shell of the engine and it also creates a very unique challenge. Take care

Philip

Old 07-24-2022, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

You could try contacting Rocketsports Racing. They would probably have what you're looking for, but prepare yourself for the sticker-shock...

datriani (08-15-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 12:06 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pab74
All,

Hope everyone is well. I have been working with various entities in regard to a fully built AJ133 and as you all know many of the items needed do not exist. The reason for this post is to ask AJ133 members if anyone has a detailed print or working CAD Model of our crankshaft or point me in the direction of a reliable source to create one.

On a positive note, once the project is complete a path will be provided for other members to purchase components required for high boost and I will provide the list of manufactures for each item to replicate the build in interested. The crankshaft will be the most expensive item outside the purchase of the long block from Tapa Jaguar see below

Hello Philip,

Sorry but we only build crankshafts.

Due to our current workload and backlog we will not be taking on any new projects until January 2023. For us to build 1 crankshaft that we have not before, we would a physical sample, detailed print or working CAD Model of the crankshaft.

Block not needed. APPROXIMATE costs for what you are asking:

Engineering, Programming and Tooling - 1 time charge $8,500.00 to $9,500.00 depending on the complexity of the crankshaft.

Cost per crank - I believe it is V8, so probably around $5,500.00 to $6,000.00 plus Mallory (heavy metal used to internally balance) plus freight.

Best regards,

Jim

The reason for buying the long block is to reduce downtime of my jag and allow reverse engineering/fitment for several components. The block will be sent to several places throughout the US and hopefully end up at velocityAP for final tune.
So had anyone seen a blown 5.0 engine Doe to too much power? All I see is engines blowing up from not enough oil. How do you know you would need a built crank for 1000hp? Is it better way to boost the engine up more and see what fails first? Everyone says this engines can't go over 700hp? But why how do they know I'm currently making around 750hp 660wheel and have no issues engine feels like it can handle alot more I'm working on printing a 3d adapter to fit a tvs2650.

The following 4 users liked this post by Ricky5.0s/c:
datriani (08-15-2022), djyankees31 (07-28-2022), Panthro (07-31-2022), Reaxions (09-26-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 01:37 PM
Obi
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky5.0s/c
So had anyone seen a blown 5.0 engine Doe to too much power? All I see is engines blowing up from not enough oil. How do you know you would need a built crank for 1000hp? Is it better way to boost the engine up more and see what fails first? Everyone says this engines can't go over 700hp? But why how do they know I'm currently making around 750hp 660wheel and have no issues engine feels like it can handle alot more I'm working on printing a 3d adapter to fit a tvs2650.
take what you may with a grain of salt but see
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ernals-255009/

In summary:
- Crank seems to be the weak point at around 720 hp
- Deck plates may be needed for high hp