Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

No more Mercedes chickens..

.. they ' Chickened out' ...

Last edited by Dan_NL; 11-10-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:21 AM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
I was thinking about a guy selling tools from the booth of his car, until I realised its a typo..

You mean TOLL booth..
Sorry about that, it was a long drive

Old 11-10-2018, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
Sorry about that, it was a long drive
No Problem at all ! It just demonstrates the oblivion misunderstandings can lead to..

Old 11-19-2018, 08:58 PM
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Had a cool experience on day in Plymoth. MA. We were out with friends for lunch and I had my car parked by the valet. My friend went out side to smoke and saw my car parked right in front next to a Huracan. The two valets started a conversation with my friend and were talking about the cars. Both valets said they would rather have the Jag than the lambo. Needless to say I was very surprised about there comments. But having spent four days driving a huracan when I was in the Florida keys, I somewhat agree with them. I loved the lambo experience but I find the Jag a more pleasurable car to drive. Obviously the lambo blows it away in performance and it’s a ton of fun, but the Jag is just as special in my eyes. I get a lot of people that just want admire the Jag, i even had a cop follow me one day. I thought I was going to get a ticket because my taillights are tinted. I got to a red light and he pulled up next to me, rolled down his window and started talking about and complimenting the car. Asking if it was the v6 or v8 and how much I paid for it. Come to find out he said he eventually wanted to buy one, Really cool guy.

The following users liked this post:
dws009 (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Dibi
Had a cool experience on day in Plymoth. MA. We were out with friends for lunch and I had my car parked by the valet. My friend went out side to smoke and saw my car parked right in front next to a Huracan. The two valets started a conversation with my friend and were talking about the cars. Both valets said they would rather have the Jag than the lambo. Needless to say I was very surprised about there comments. But having spent four days driving a huracan when I was in the Florida keys, I somewhat agree with them. I loved the lambo experience but I find the Jag a more pleasurable car to drive. Obviously the lambo blows it away in performance and it’s a ton of fun, but the Jag is just as special in my eyes. I get a lot of people that just want admire the Jag, i even had a cop follow me one day. I thought I was going to get a ticket because my taillights are tinted. I got to a red light and he pulled up next to me, rolled down his window and started talking about and complimenting the car. Asking if it was the v6 or v8 and how much I paid for it. Come to find out he said he eventually wanted to buy one, Really cool guy.
I got to pull up my old reaction from the cop who caught me at 100mph and wrote me for 70mph. Cops like to drive fast, and they appreciate cars. Comes with he territory.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I got to pull up my old reaction from the cop who caught me at 100mph and wrote me for 70mph. Cops like to drive fast, and they appreciate cars. Comes with he territory.
Hopefully not in a 25mph zone!

Old 11-20-2018, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

When I had my '79 Vette painted 96 Vette Red with a Black hood scoop and 4 coats of clear, I came out of a store in a shopping center to find a speeding ticket on my wind screen! Ticket read "Exceeding the speed limit while parked". I was standing there a bit flabbergasted when I hear a snicker and turn to see a friend who is a sheriff's detective in a car a few feet away. He got out, walked over and explained that he was on break when he saw me enter the store and decided to have some fun with an old book of tickets. He bought lunch.
That is one reason my Jag is metallic BRG. Not as easy to notice as the red Vette.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

A -very- long time ago, I had a Renault Super Cinq GT-Turbo, a van version. In those days you could escape luxury tax on cars if
you permanently removed the rear seat... When most civilian buyers starting to do that, they revoked the rule...

But in those times I was doing 200kmh [ on the spedometer] when a Porsche pulled up next to me, with two traffic policemen,
I almost got a heart attack as a fine would have been 'off-the-chart' ... The codriver just waved a finger like "no-no" and
moved his hand up-and-down gesturing me to slow down.. I slowed to 130kmh and they drove off at 200+ ...
Only to be waiting for me 5 km away to see if I did slow down..

Old 11-20-2018, 01:16 PM
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny you should say that. I was part of the s2000 community for a long time. We used to go on a lot of drives together. One of the members of our group was an officer of the law. He would usually lead the pack and often was the most aggressive driver of the bunch. One day while driving well in excess of the speed limit out in western ma we got pulled over. After a long conversation with our friend the officer who pulled us over proceeded to walk back to his car. On his way back to his car he said to another driver in our group, “You can thank your friend for getting you guys out of this”. My friend replied, “Getting is out of this? He is the one that got us into this!”
i do miss those days, we had a lot of great times.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

I'll hope you'll not mind me posting, esp as I don't have an F-Type

Only had mine for 7 weeks and the comments have been spread, I live in quite a deprived area (but with low crime) and there are few 'exotic' cars

1) At Halloween at least 3 kids that knocked asked 'Are you rich?' my reply 'I just really did well at school' See helping the young'uns to think about their schooling!
2) Retiree 'well if you ask me it's pretentious and ostentatious' I replied 'one thing that usually comes with age is that you accept other peoples choices as that and nothing to do with you'
3) Dropping son to football on Sunday, approached by two 30something mothers 'that sounds gorgeous, how do you keep it so clean? Are you here to play rugby or football? I'm 54!
4) Picking up package a yoof approached me & asked 'Is that a Maserati?' 'Nope it's a Jaguar' Well I wouldn't park it around here! 'Why do you think your man enough to take it off me?'

Regularly get people walking around it muttering and in the case of schoolkids taking selfies, the adults are usually octogenarian men...when I want nubile hotties!!

Old 11-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 99Gsp
Hopefully not in a 25mph zone!
I dug up the story. The copy was a hoot. GREAT guy. With video receipts, and that's why dashcams can work against you, too. I think in some states, law permits authorities to take and impound your dashcams as evidence without your approval (in event of an accident, etc)
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2/#post1751751

Old 05-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

While parked in line at a "Shred-a-thon" today, I was having a pleasant chat with a couple Sheriff's deputies about the car (and my license plate). At their request, I even played Clarkson's Top Gear review on the screen. Anyway, a guy walks up and starts out with a snarky "But what kind of gas mileage do you get in that thing?" Before I could say anything, one of the deputies pops back with "You know what they say, if you have to ask, you can't afford it." So much better than anything I'd have come up with.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

The other day, on the way to work I stopped my base BRG/brogue interior vert with the top down to get some coffee. When I came out, an Italian family were admiring it, saying "Bella" & "Belissimo" and made some positive hand gestures as I left. I only include the color combo because it's so obviously not Italian, and they were super complimentary. I love those little moments. I was waiting, no where near my car, and watching people while sitting in a local taco shop. The way people stop and look, the way kids on bikes ride by and are like "WHOAH". I rebadged it so the "Jaguar" is on the bottom left, and it's fairly debadged, and unlike the future potential of people actually saying "That's my BUICK", it's neat to hear people say "Jaguar" with a charm of understanding the storied lifespan of the company, etc. I love how old guys peer inside and sort of pump their fist when they see the manual. LOL It's really a wonderful and beautiful car... I even found myself dazzled and feeling it was the most gorgeous thing, while walking back to it in a parking lot. I finally have arrived at the "objective" fact that with the top down, it's the most beautiful car in history. *gasp*??

Also, I note I am a bit childish when I drive by the Ferrari and Porsche dealerships that I pass almost daily. I do think I catch an eye from the test drives. I imagine the salesmen are like "COME ON GUY", but I am sure they're secure about their vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

My local Ferrari and Maserati dealer doesn't want me to come by in the F-Type.. .. since new its 50% of the price of cars he sells 20+ years older which are slower and use 3x more fuel..

Old 08-17-2019, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Maserati, "Poor man's Ferrari". More expensive, less dependable, and less desirable than a Jaguar.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Because my wife also likes Porsche's we go by the local dealer quite often but I always insist it be in the FTYPE because I just love the reactions of both customers and the dealers. Always positive for both but you do get a sly look from the dealers sometimes. They get it.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:50 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Maserati, "Poor man's Ferrari". More expensive, less dependable, and less desirable than a Jaguar.
You just nailed that one, Sam. My impulse purchase of a new 2015 Ghibli was the worst car buying choice I have ever made.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Then I had a close escape : almost bought a 4-door used from 2013.. .. same price as F-Type new.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

re. Maserati.
We have seen a number of the SUV's cruising around our town. We were somewhat impressed until the Lamborghini SUV arrived. It literally attracted a crowd.

One of my son's fellow students at his Tae Kwon Do dojo has a family Maserati SUV - my son and I joke that they don't let their grandpa near it - he has his own generic SUV the family bought him. They are Russian and grandpa smokes the world's most powerful Soviet era cigs.You literally have to roll up the windows blocks away when he lights up. We figured the Maserati would be ruined in a day if they let grandpa loose in it. Grandpa apparently was in the Soviet Army and still drives like he is behind the controls of a T-34 tank.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Re Maseratis...two guys were walking by as I'm rolling through the parking lot...one guy says to the other "Whoa, check out that Maserati!"

Thankfully, the other guy corrected him

Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?