F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Magazine Comparisons Are A Dime A Dozen...sometimes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts
Default Auto Magazine Comparisons Are A Dime A Dozen...sometimes!

That "sometimes" is when you help to make the video review with your son. My son, while still in college, writes, produces and is lead videographer for the online car journal AutoMentality | Your daily Cars N Coffee and he has done many of their stories on Porsche, Audi, a Group C Quattro amoung several others.

Today we filmed the primary footage for a video article that compares the handling characteristics of two FTYPE's.....a 17 R Coupe and a 14 V8s Vert (bet you'll never guess who's ) and they even through in a X-type to boot. Long day of filming stills and video and and several runs on a make shift track layout in a large parking lot at the Sandy Point State Park, MD overlooking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

The magazine publisher rented the lot for true day for filming which included 4 tripod mounted cameras, 4 go pros and even a gyro camera on a huge drone copter. Given that it was also extremely windy post Hurricane Mathew it was a long day of beauty shots, video taping and discussion and set ups.

The fun part was driving. Now we all know the R had more HP, stiffer suspension and is all wheel drive. We also know that the V8s is a tail happy monster. So one would rightly conclude that the R handled better in general and yes it did. Dove into corners with the expected amount under steer and pulled out of them with the right hint of oversteer. While not timed it certainly was quicker. Absolutely a flat out beauty of a car. I definitely want one (or better yet the SVR) soon.

Now what about the poor "underpowered" V8s you ask? Well let's just say that will all the nannies on it more than held its own. On one corner it actually did better and cut a tighter line than the R. With the nannies turned completely off.....by the way that is the first time I've ever done that.....all I can say is wow!!!! It's truly a frightening, hair raising, dread inspiring, but ludicrously FUN monster. It's actually controllable... yes your reading correctly. The steering gets better, you can really feel the car's break points. Many of you have posted that you've driven many time that way. Well as a newbie to turning off the safety systems, I was prepared for horror and got more joy.

My son then got off the cameras and took it for a few runs. On some of his last runs he did a great drift, followed by a tire smoking acceleration into the final straight ended with a 70-0 stop in about 75 feet. Watching it from my camera position was a bit unnerving I have to admit, but the 20 year old knows what he is doing. What fun we will tak about together for years.

He and his team will be writing and editing for several weeks I'm sure. I'll post the links when it's done. If you go to the link above you can read a lot of his other stories and much of the photography is his work. I want to thank Automentality.com for letting me help out....ok actually for letting me drive my car like a nut. Also thanks to Annapolis Jaguar for the loaned R. This process of video production wa fascinating to be a part of.

Couple of behind the scenes shots I took. The real action shots will have to wait for the story unless I can convince my son to send me a couple of video stills of the fun bits.

The following 5 users liked this post by Mbourne:
jaguny (10-10-2016), mikelanzetta (10-10-2016), niceramaykina (10-10-2016), PolkNole (10-10-2016), Unhingd (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-09-2016, 10:14 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,079 Likes on 1,381 Posts

Awesome, Marko. I know some V6Ss that would have joined you for more perspective, noise, fun, etc.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,592 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Awesome, Marko. I know some V6Ss that would have joined you for more perspective, noise, fun, etc.
I know one guy who might have had he not fallen off a mountain (and almost off a cliff).

Old 10-10-2016, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Action capture.

With the nannies off! Bye bye P-Zeros.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I know one guy who might have had he not fallen off a mountain (and almost off a cliff).
Welcome back to the zoo. How soon will you be back on the road?

Old 10-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Welcome back to the zoo. How soon will you be back on the road?
We wouldn't want to highjack Mr. Bourne's thread - but thank you for asking - and here's the deal. My friend bought me one of those "handy bars" which assist people of getting into and out of their cars (truly a handy device) which I have used several times in Liz's BMW passenger seat. I have a doctor's appointment this Wednesday in Portland and was thinking of driving my F-Type and will just have to see if I can manage that. My guess is I will be able to do so should I decide to drive in alone. Needless to say I am fortunate - although you will think differently - that it's an automatic since there is no way I could manage using a clutch. Having said that, I am making a miraculous recovery all around!

I now return you to Marko's original post....

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-10-2016 at 01:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
Mbourne (10-10-2016), mjm3457 (10-11-2016), Unhingd (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 08:34 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,079 Likes on 1,381 Posts

Now I know that when I get the chance to hike with Jay, to stay above him.

Welcome back. If you drive the Jag, I recommend snow/ice mode 'til things are healed a bit. Don't need to break anything else.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:08 PM
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Please let us know when the video is available. I would love to see it.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Now I know that when I get the chance to hike with Jay, to stay above him.

Welcome back. If you drive the Jag, I recommend snow/ice mode 'til things are healed a bit. Don't need to break anything else.
I know I shouldn't take the bait on this...and, yes, I know - and knowing you - that you merely jest; but when I'm leading - either on the trails or on the roads, I've never gotten into a jam. My only fault, on the mountain, was not stopping us, and doubling back, when I discovered we went off trail. I let my buddy go first because he's half my age and I didn't want to hold him back, even if we were climbing at the same speed. Unfortunately when we arrived at what my buddy thought was an impassable and extraordinarily steep piece of rock, having already climbed up 40-50 feet - at which point I couldn't see beyond from my vantage point - I/we had no choice but to head back down this section with nothing to hold onto. Had I been leading it's possible I would have "found" a way. The fault - if there is one - is mine, not my buddy.

Thanks for the suggestion. Luckily it's only my left leg which is hindered, not my right. My vision and all other senses are operating on all cylinders. 6 to be exact.
My brain, however, is always questionable.

Sorry Marko for my responding to our esteemed colleague and all-around good guy Mr. Sperry.

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (10-11-2016)