F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automobile Magazine adds F-Type Coupe to Four Seasons Garage for a year!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
The true driving enthusiast would get a Miata
As a matter of fact, until the F-Type was offered with a 6 speed, I seriously considered a Miata. (I know...I was getting desperate) Now the GT350 would have been a consideration, but not available until the end of this year.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Actually, not wanting to cause a scuffle by coming right out and saying it, but I actually think true driving enthusiasts are more likely get the V6. More skill needed to take full advantage of the vehicle, with far more potential through the turns. Car enthusiasts are seduced by the numbers and the one "go fast pedal". You and I know there are 2 or 3 "go fast pedals".

Now this statement will certainly unleash a firestorm, but its just my belief totally unsupported by any statistically significant sampling.

Jay, I'm on your side on this one.
Ok, first up, I'll note that I am an R owner, so it may appear I'm a bit biased, but I disagree with that view. There is SO much power on tap with the big V8 that you have to seriously finesse the car every time you want to dial up the power or it's going to bite you. So I'd take the position that it is much harder and requires greater skill to get the full potential out of the R, whereas it is somewhat easier to take the S to the limit.

But let's face it, in either case, you better be on a track if you go looking for the limits of either model!

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Ok, first up, I'll note that I am an R owner, so it may appear I'm a bit biased, but I disagree with that view. There is SO much power on tap with the big V8 that you have to seriously finesse the car every time you want to dial up the power or it's going to bite you. So I'd take the position that it is much harder and requires greater skill to get the full potential out of the R, whereas it is somewhat easier to take the S to the limit.

But let's face it, in either case, you better be on a track if you go looking for the limits of either model!
Very true. A car with so much power and especially so much torque (502 lb ft) you have to really watch your throttle input. With less torquey cars I could just slam on the gas...try that with 500 lb ft and you're in trouble coming out of turns. At the same time, w/ so much torque you might not need to downshift in certain situations which helps not upset the car. Different driving styles. I think what most people mean is that with a high HP car you can make up for a lot of mistakes on the straights whereas with something like a miata you better not screw up in corners otherwise you lost all the advantage on the straight.

OzRisk (01-05-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Oz,

You raise very good points. The more power, the more likely it will "bite" you. I purchased one of the first 200 C6 Z06s in 2005, 505HP and nearly matching torque. I consider myself a much better than average driver, and it required considerable finesse to avoid getting bitten.

I went to a couple of 3-4 day high-performance driving schools for Z06s run by Ron Fellows, legendary LeMans and Corvette Racing Team veteran. It was an incredible experience, and I got considerably better in the Z06 on the track over the course of many track sessions. However, my lap times also peaked, and it was painfully obvious that my skill set would never get to that highest level. There was no way I was ever going to extract the maximum possible performance out of that car at my age.

It was a humbling experience to ride in the same car with a professional American LeMans Series driver. He did things I never thought would be possible without going off-track, and his lap times made mine look rather pathetic.

My other epiphany was competing in SCCA autocross in a Lotus Elise, which was classed in "super stock" along with the Z06s. With barely 200HP and 2K lbs., the Lotus was often the class winner and national champion in the mid 2000s. I was also much better in that little Lotus, than I ever was in the Z06.

Lastly, another lesson I've learned over the years is that massive power alone can never be utilized to go fast in anything other than a straight line if the chassis/suspension set-up is not up to handling it. The reviews of the F-Type R, and the absence of eye-popping Nurburgring lap times, which every "supercar" manufacturer loves to tout, lead me to believe you simply can't make full use of all that power in it's current RWD platform. I don't think the suspension is up to the task of world-class performance matching it's power output. The move to exclusive AWD in the V8 2016s is another clue.

That's why I came to conclusion that the V6 is the sweet spot of the F-Type lineup. The previous cars I've owned with crazy amounts of power brought me to my current place where I'm "over that," but it certainly is fun, and I do respect anyone who'd rather go that way for the pure thrills. You have to do it at least once.

Please pardon the long ramble, which was only intended share with some who might be thinking along similar lines.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-04-2015 at 12:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
J444G (10-06-2021), OzRisk (01-05-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,569 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Last week, Autoweek magazine also added an F-type coupe R to its long term test fleet. There is going to be a lot of reading going on in the New Year.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Oz,

However, my lap times also peaked,

Foosh,
Don't beat yourself up. I found during my racing career that I "peaked" a number of times before I was able to take it to the next levels. Like any other skill it, requires regular instruction, regular practice and a lot of study. One high performance weekend will make a person competent, but neither good nor great. Keep at it. More high performance schools and a lot of track days.

Age is a factor, but not an overwhelming one. Paul Newman didn't start his winning racing career until he was 50. He, however, did have a lot of money to throw at instructors and track time.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

One more time. Lol (7:23)

Last edited by Dremorg; 01-04-2015 at 04:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dremorg:
Foosh (01-04-2015), Ggraddy (01-04-2015), Unhingd (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I hadn't seen that video before, and I think it's a very accurate review. It conforms to my impression of the F-Type R as he described it as, "very muscle car and Mopar-like, which is great fun." I agree, it is.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Foosh
I went to a couple of 3-4 day high-performance driving schools for Z06s run by Ron Fellows, legendary LeMans and Corvette Racing Team veteran. It was an incredible experience, and I got considerably better in the Z06 on the track over the course of many track sessions. However, my lap times also peaked, and it was painfully obvious that my skill set would never get to that highest level. There was no way I was ever going to extract the maximum possible performance out of that car at my age.

It was a humbling experience to ride in the same car with a professional American LeMans Series driver. He did things I never thought would be possible without going off-track, and his lap times made mine look rather pathetic.

That must have been a great experience! I love driving with professional drivers - they teach you so much while making you realize just how much more there is to know.

I've done drive days with several - V8 Supercar driver, Brad Jones, and an amazing performance day with Australian racing legend, John Bowe.

Also had an incredible time at the Audi Ice Experience, with Austrian world rally driver, Stefan Eichorner. His hot lap in the RS5 was something else... Hopefully you can see this video I made of it (that's me in the passenger seat)...

And I've found that the best drivers are also the most courteous and never make you feel stupid for asking questions or looking for advice.

Hmmm, might be time for another session with the new R!

Foosh (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member

That must have been a great experience! I love driving with professional drivers - they teach you so much while making you realize just how much more there is to know.

I've done drive days with several - V8 Supercar driver, Brad Jones, and an amazing performance day with Australian racing legend, John Bowe.

Also had an incredible time at the Audi Ice Experience, with Austrian world rally driver, Stefan Eichorner. His hot lap in the RS5 was something else... Hopefully you can see this video I made of it (that's me in the passenger seat)...

http://youtu.be/2uPpR3UI6IQ

And I've found that the best drivers are also the most courteous and never make you feel stupid for asking questions or looking for advice.

Hmmm, might be time for another session with the new R!
Great video, Oz, Thanks.

OzRisk (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Last week, Autoweek magazine also added an F-type coupe R to its long term test fleet. There is going to be a lot of reading going on in the New Year...
Hmmm...must have missed that somewhere because I'm a subscriber of both...EDIT...guess I forgot to open this one and thumb through it when it arrived,lol!

Last edited by buickfunnycar.com; 01-05-2015 at 06:13 PM.