Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The best model year and why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 12:17 AM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jnanh
Yeah I've heard the 2016+ models have the newer infotainment system and some come with an app to control parts of your car. I'm a real techie so having a dated infotainment system would be painful.
I have a 14 and a 16, there's no practical difference. One has a pale color home screen with a grid layout instead of a stacked layout, and a half baked app that doesn't work. I love that there are shortcut buttons for everthing unlike my crap more recent german systems.

A front and rear camera would be useful.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-08-2019 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

there are 4 units used and to add to the confusion two different '16 systems that look the same. One is just the old '14 model black and white one with a new tiled front, the other is a new system. It is much better IMO. But then there is a newer still system that I've only used in loaners that is in about a 10" screen. It seems easy enough to use and nice and swipey but then there were some things it couldnt do, like sending texts from memory. If you are a techie I'd get to the bottom of that and check them all out. I had the black and white one (so 14 and 15 model years) in an XF and just hated it with a passion, so much so that I got rid of the car after a year (or at least it was a factor). I've got the seciond 16 system in my F Type which is OK but not as good as the better version of that system that we have in the XE built at the same time. you want at least the second '16 system (not the one that just looks like the new system) or the very wide one. It has been thrashed through in a few threads including the recent one where the merriway aftermarket unit was tested, you can identify which is which by VIN.

Good luck, whatever you get will be lotsa fun.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:07 AM
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
everyone rightly focuses on rwd vs awd but 2018 saw other changes that were critically important (to me anyway). the footwell is slightly roomier for my big feet and the seats are more comfortable too.
Agreed, 6’2” has left me wanting just a little more leg room that the seats in the 2018 allow due to their thinner design.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

Yeah I've heard the 2016+ models have the newer infotainment system and some come with an app to control parts of your car. I'm a real techie so having a dated infotainment system would be painful.
I might comment that my F-Type has the original infotainment system, while my wife's F-Pace has the latest ICTP. While having voice Nav and Car Play is nice, I don't really miss it on the F-Type. The mission of the F-Type is to enjoy the driving experience and relish the lovely exhaust tones. Likewise, the sound system is secondary. If I want to crank up Black Dog, it will be with at home with the Phase Linear 4000/400's and a quartet of JBL Jubal's. (I don't have neighbors.)

The following users liked this post:
scm (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Just like the XJ the differences between the model years will not be noticeable by non f-type people. Just look for something with no excessive mileage and good history. I prefer 2015-2016 F-type R because of the way the black pack looked back then and they are pretty well priced now.

Last edited by vika01; 02-08-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:30 AM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
2014 V8 S RWD or 2015 V8 R RWD Convertibles

With only RWD, they are the fastest most vicious F-Types ever made. Even with a tire upgrade they have more HP than rubber. There is no difference between '14 and '15 dispite Jag's more conservative rating on the 2014. Both dyno ~500 WHP stock (about 50 more WHP than an SVR AWD and 100 lbs lighter).

The launch car is the one to have but it is almost impossible to find:

V8 S RWD Convertible
Firesand w/black lipstick and side vents
Entended leather w/orange stitching
Black Cyclone wheels
Here you go: https://suchen.mobile.de/auto-insera...ction=parkItem

Old 02-08-2019, 09:16 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Hmm, I can't seem to find the private message button.

If you can could you drop me a pm/dm
I suspect you need 5 or 10 posts before you can PM. Otherwise, click on the user's name in the post, and that will take you to their profile where you can PM them.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Any year F-Type is better than no F-Type. I will say, regardless of the year, if you are buying the car for the Infotainment system, you'll be disappointed. It's adequate, but it's not the focal point of the car. It's not a luxury sedan so there isn't as much attention put there as there is the performance of the car.

FType17 (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mahjik
...if you are buying the car for the Infotainment system, you'll be disappointed. It's adequate, but it's not the focal point of the car...
Not so fast. Thats the point. The F-Type's simple, non-"infotainment" system was a big selling point for me. I suspect many Jag sports car owners are like me, we view overly integrated, arbitrary, and needless "infotaiment" systems as a major minus for reasons of price, needless complexity, reliabilty, and safety.

The screen is useful as a back-up camera, but today that feed could be bluetoothed to a phone as $7 option. Integrated Nav systems are senseless, phones are better if you can't read a map. Switches integrated through a central touch screen are that way to save money, plus they suck, so thatvs not about driving either.

The whole infotainment thing should be thrown out to save 5 pounds. Its all about selling todays ADD kids another phone to distract them from driving.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-08-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

JIM is TRIGGERED by the use of these kids and their infotainment systems. Kids these days...

Old 02-08-2019, 10:12 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

The OP stated he is a Techie so I would go for a 2019+ if a inadequate Infotainment center would distract from you loving the car. Me, after 8 months I still just know how to turn the radio on, because that's all I care about as for as the infotainment goes.
So get what makes you happy in the long run.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

The screen is useful as a back-up camera
Some of us learned to drive before backup cameras existed and don't need to rely on technology to cover up for poor driving habits.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mahjik:
FType17 (02-08-2019), Jaggyx (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Some of us learned to drive before backup cameras existed and don't need to rely on technology to cover up for poor driving habits.
Exactly. Even as a 26 year old, I learned to maneuver my first whip without the use of a back up camera and screen and did just fine with no accidents. Pics below. 1997 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe, Base Model.

Chawumba (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
JIM is TRIGGERED by the use of these kids and their infotainment systems. Kids these days...
​​​​​​I am. I can't deal with non-drivers trying to turn entertaining cars into boring phones.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
Exactly. Even as a 26 year old, I learned to maneuver my first whip without the use of a back up camera and screen and did just fine with no accidents. Pics below. 1997 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe, Base Model.

I don't believe you were accident free, not for a minute.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:54 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Sadly, our F types have a tiny bit bigger blind spot that the cozy coupe, so be sure to get the vision pak or whatever its called.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chawumba:
BruceTheQuail (02-08-2019), Uncle Fishbits (02-28-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

I don't believe you were accident free, not for a minute.
Umm, excuse me, Jim. Who do you think you are to be questioning my driving record?

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Sadly, our F types have a tiny bit bigger blind spot that the cozy coupe, so be sure to get the vision pak or whatever its called.
Yeah, it's true. When I was in my '97 Cozy, I never had all of the electronic nannies that cars have these days. I do agree about the F-Type having some severe blind spots and would highly recommend the Vision Pack option.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:29 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I will say that while the infotainment is not as flashy as the newer systems found in other cars, I am always astonished at how fast my phone's BT connects when I jump in the car and music starts playing. It is seemingly instant. Compared to our brand new Audi which takes a fortnight to fire up its supercomputer and graphics card, the Jag infotainment puts it to shame.

Admittedly, I'm one of those few young people that only really cares about music WRT a car's infotainment, as most of the time I will be driving and not able to use anything else on the screen. My phone's Google maps, which gets updated what feels like every nanosecond, will always trump any cars relatively static navi system maps just as a matter of fact.

I don't want my cars infotainment being like another smartphone in my face....phones already take up too much of everybody's time these days so the less it looks like one, the better. If I could replace the infotainment screen with a big analog clock like a Rolls and just keep the BT for music, I'd take that all day long.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm currently in the market for a F-Type and wanted to know which one was the best or if they're all relatively the same.

Thanks!
Depends what you are after from an F-Type.

Although it's mainly constructed from alloy, it's still quite a heavy GT/sports car.

The V6 versions push it along quite adequately, and is enough for most (albeit the majority of owners do seem to be modding for extra horse powers and torques), however if you're like me and get bored easily, then go for the V8.

The AWD is cumbersome in either its plain format or the 'tarted up' SVR, compared to its' RWD predecessor.

As others seem to point...an early V8S or R in RWD and you'lle not need to tweak or tune anything.

Try to get a later model if you can (MY2016 in the UK) and you may be lucky to get the electric steering, single battery and vacuum pump deleted...this sheds a few lbs!

Old 02-08-2019, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I personally would suggest the following if you are looking for the most fun factor for driving: if you can tolerate an excellent automatic transmission, look at any of the V-8’s from 2014 or 15 (RWD), otherwise any year V6S with a manual transmission would be my choice. Nothing wrong with the AWDs, but they just don’t feel as nimble and are significantly heavier. All of the other issues/considerations are personal choices that you need to contemplate if they are important to you.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-08-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply: The best model year and why?