F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Engine - 2017 F Type R

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

I don't know why, but I am able to check the oil level on a stone cold engine that has been left overnight, without having to run and leave for 10 minutes or having to open the bonnet/hood or having to faff about with pressing multiple buttons.
I just hop in the car, turn the ignition on, hit the Menu/OK button (takes a few hits before the menu pops up), scroll to Vehicle Info then scroll to Oil Level.
Every time it reads "Level OK" and smack on the Max mark, and I've never once topped it up.

The following users liked this post:
zmoothg (09-23-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I don't know why, but I am able to check the oil level on a stone cold engine that has been left overnight, without having to run and leave for 10 minutes or having to open the bonnet/hood or having to faff about with pressing multiple buttons.
I just hop in the car, turn the ignition on, hit the Menu/OK button (takes a few hits before the menu pops up), scroll to Vehicle Info then scroll to Oil Level.
Every time it reads "Level OK" and smack on the Max mark, and I've never once topped it up.
+1. Except once it read overfill, but the car was pointed slightly downhill.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Lance, remember that the internal bypass valve in the charger opens with the factory mapping. On the V8 for example we can increase an SVR from 13 to 15psi with software.
wht about the V6

just asking because when I took the S/C off to fix my coolant leak, I noticed that the flap was in the half-open position. Shouldn't it be completely closed, unless it needs to bleed boost?

Old 09-15-2017, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I'm not sure how being able to check the electronic dipstick whilst the engine is running is any more valid than checking an old school dipstick whilst the engine is running. They weren't calibrated for that.

But just like muscle memory to put on my seat belt when I get into the car, I'm trying to adopt the aircraft captain approach of checking the oil level on first trip of the day. It's very easy to get complacent and reactive instead of proactive...
lol...great...now I have to do a pre-flight before I go get my Boddingtons or Caffrees...I miss beer.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
No point in checking oil with an engine running, dipstick or otherwise.
Except there is. I want to know in the pits is there any oil left, I don't need to know exact level, just need to know approximately most of it still there... or Holy F... it is almost dry, do I have any lower end left?!

More so, with electronic wizardry you are not limited to notches on the dipstick - you can calibrate 100s different ways, running, not running, cold, hot. You could also store values from the last time it was cold, so you can pull up history...

Here is how I check oil level today:

1. Open the door
2. Press start button
3. See "Press clutch to start" warning
4. See "Door is open" warning
5. See seat belt not on warning
6. Spam OK button
7. Eventually it allows me into menu, navigate to level check it

This is Very Annoying to me.

Here is how I check oil on normal cars:

1. Open hood
2. Pull up dipstick
3. (optional) Smell it and/or check oil between fingers

I want my dipstick back or better electronic system.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello

also I can confirm there is no oil pressure low sensor, it's not mentioned in any of the technical documents or circuit diagrams .. also when you 1st turn the engine on there is no lamp test for it ! it is in the manual but I can confirm it's not fitted .. the 2.0 4 pot does however .. absolutely stupid in my opinion, why on earth would they not fit this .. god only knows ..

also does not monitor the level while driving .. great

Old 09-15-2017, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
yep .. so can I

just tried it

Old 09-15-2017, 04:29 PM

So

the more I think of this the more concerned I get

If you read the owners manual about oil pressure low warning you drive your car with the comfort at least if there was a low pressure issue you would be warned about it .. well wrong !

so owners read the manual and think they would have at least some warning, well I would !

but in reality the sensor is not fitted, and when you 1st turn the ignition on you will notice the low oil pressure light does not light up in the test phase .. well the reason for this is its not bloody fitted :twisted:

poor show in my opinion

Old 09-16-2017, 05:15 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

I believe the oil level sensor is a combined level and temperature sensor.
It uses ultrasonic frequency to measure level, I suspect it corrects for oil temperature.

If it didn't do so then the correct level when cold would be read as overfill when hot or if correct level when hot would indicate low level when cold.

Technical manual states that the sensor maps the fill level of the oil continually during trips.
It states that marginal influences such as being on a slope, oil flowing back at the end of a journey and lateral and longitudinal acceleration are compensated by averaging.

The sensor specification is level accuracy +/- 2mm (+/-4mm below -30°C)
temperature accuracy +/- 2°C

Given warning alarms are prevalent for low fuel level, low screen wash level, low tyre pressure (including when tyre pressure is correct for lower speeds but car is at high speeds , above 155mph)
I would be surprised if a warning didn't alert low oil level without the driver checking via the menu.

Maybe an owner can test by switching ignition on when they've drained the oil, does it alarm ?

The following 3 users liked this post by Paul_59:
DJS (09-16-2017), Don1954 (09-26-2017), JagRag (09-16-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
It's not that cut and dried.

The modification must be demonstrated to have directly contributed to the failure. If an owner chooses to use a non-OEM oil filter and the next day the entire fuel injection system packs it in, there's no connection and no basis for denial of warranty.

For Jag corporate to have already denied coverage on the OP's engine as per story above, they must believe that they are on solid ground to do so. We are all sitting here with baited breath (fish for lunch) waiting for some credible information that there is evidence to the contrary.
Actually in the case of the ECU Mikey, Jaguar only has to prove it was CHANGED. Let me explain, the Moss, Magnussen Act was create so that a manufacturer could not force a consumer to buy service or product ONLY from the manufacturer to maintain a warranty. (Ferrari at the time was charging over $100 per qt for a Shell oil only they could provide, and required the use of that oil to give warranty coverage.) The difference between your mentioned non OEM oil filter and the ECU is, the software contained within the ECU is STILL OWNED BY JAGUAR! And as such, they can as do ALL OTHER auto makers condition their warranty coverage to protect themselves should you make an ECU change. GM has went so far as to verify ECU connection counts as soon as the car is plugged in, If they don't match you might have a warranty problem, it then compares the software version and a random code for a match, if that too is a foul, your warranty is HISTORY.

BE FOR WARNED THOSE OF YOU WITH NEW CAR WARRANTY'S AND WANT TO ECU TUNE!

Last edited by Bigg Will; 09-20-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

6k rpm power drop and 8 Bad plugs found after the 1st set of dyno should have been an indication of a big issue. And Bobby (As Jailbreak tuning) did my tune I LOVE it and have had absolutely 0 problems in 4 years.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Actually in the case of the ECU Mikey, Jaguar only has to prove it was CHANGED. Let me explain, the Moss, Magnussen Act was create so that a manufacturer could not force a consumer to buy service or product ONLY from the manufacturer to maintain a warranty. (Ferrari at the time was charging over $100 per qt for a Shell oil only they could provide, and required the use of that oil to give warranty coverage.) The difference between your mentioned non OEM oil filter and the ECU is, the software contained within the ECU is STILL OWNED BY JAGUAR! And as such, they can as do ALL OTHER auto makers condition their warranty coverage to protect themselves should you make an ECU change. GM has went so far as to verify ECU connection counts as soon as the car is plugged in, If they don't match you might have a warranty problem, it then compares the software version and a random code for a match, if that too is a foul, your warranty is HISTORY.

BE FOR WARNED THOSE OF YOU WITH NEW CAR WARRANTY'S AND WANT TO ECU TUNE!
Actually we're in complete agreement. Once the whole story came out regarding the aftermarket tune, the OP was SOL. Jag is and was on solid ground.

The example of an oil filter causing the fuel system to pack it in is still a valid example of warranty not being effected.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
If they don't match you might have a warranty problem, it then compares the software version and a random code for a match, if that too is a foul, your warranty is HISTORY.
Only the drivetrain warranty is history. Anything not possibly impacted by the tune is still fully covered (under MM).

Old 09-21-2017, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Actually we're in complete agreement. Once the whole story came out regarding the aftermarket tune, the OP was SOL. Jag is and was on solid ground.

The example of an oil filter causing the fuel system to pack it in is still a valid example of warranty not being effected.
Absolutely right Sir.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Also if you can prove that engine failure (e.g. bad block casting) wasn't caused by tune, you can win settlement/lawsuit.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Also if you can prove that engine failure (e.g. bad block casting) wasn't caused by tune, you can win settlement/lawsuit.
BIG uphill battle..

Old 09-23-2017, 04:34 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I believe the procedure of checking oil while warm and wait 10 minutes is around the fact that warm oil expands from cold and the 'full' measure is calibrated for warm oil, same as with a dipstick.. the wait 10 minutes is to make sure the oil has all settled into the pan.

No point in checking oil with an engine running, dipstick or otherwise.. I do believe our cars have a low pressure warning light that would come on if the pressure drops dangerously low.

One quart down should not cause engine damage either, under normal conditions.
Lawrence
My engine was starting to experience some sputtering on steep incline hills in San Francisco with 1quart down. Thanks to JVIII's lesson I was able to quickly diagnose the symptoms, error codes as being related to low oil. The car did zero to warn me of the low oil other than almost dying.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

It's hard to believe that Jaguar did not include some kind of automatic diagnostic systems check that would run after a certain number of starting cycles. Or maybe after every fuel fill up. My humble little '96 Mustang with the 4.6 V8 has a low oil warning light that appears when the level is one half quart low. Since it has over 200,000 miles i tend to keep an eye on the oil level at fuel fill ups.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rivguy
It's hard to believe that Jaguar did not include some kind of automatic diagnostic systems check that would run after a certain number of starting cycles. Or maybe after every fuel fill up. My humble little '96 Mustang with the 4.6 V8 has a low oil warning light that appears when the level is one half quart low. Since it has over 200,000 miles i tend to keep an eye on the oil level at fuel fill ups.
Would be nice to be able to check the oil during a fill-up. Goofy system prevents it for at least 10 minutes. Anyone interested in a portable dipstick. I have some thoughts on how to design one.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-23-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:29 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
My engine was starting to experience some sputtering on steep incline hills in San Francisco with 1quart down. Thanks to JVIII's lesson I was able to quickly diagnose the symptoms, error codes as being related to low oil. The car did zero to warn me of the low oil other than almost dying.

Engine sputtering is not a symptom of low oil level or pressure, especially one miserable qt.