Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Engine - 2017 F Type R

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Engine sputtering is not a symptom of low oil level or pressure, especially one miserable qt.
Could be if there is a safety engine shutoff that is deployed based on inadequate oil level and the level is sloshing about just enough for an intermittent signal. I have a power generator that will act that way.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

I have a question. Had JVIII not altered the ECU in any way (with the tune), but still had this same engine failure, would JLR have covered the replacement under warranty? Or would they have claimed "operator error" or misuse for not checking the oil level and continuing to drive the car with an insufficient amount of oil?

Old 09-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

And as a follow-up question, what is the typical oil level when a new car leaves the factory? And, how much oil does a new engine typically use (burn) in the first ~5000 miles?

Old 09-23-2017, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagRag
I have a question. Had JVIII not altered the ECU in any way (with the tune), but still had this same engine failure, would JLR have covered the replacement under warranty? Or would they have claimed "operator error" or misuse for not checking the oil level and continuing to drive the car with an insufficient amount of oil?
I would think they would attempt to deny a claim based on low oil, but they stand on shaky ground if the computer never registered a low pressure code to activate the CEL.

And as a follow-up question, what is the typical oil level when a new car leaves the factory? And, how much oil does a new engine typically use (burn) in the first ~5000 miles?
Oil level should be at the top line day 1 and certainly not more than 1/2 qt. consumption over the first 5000 miles.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-23-2017 at 03:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JagRag (12-04-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 04:04 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Nobody can answer that as the supposed low oil level, starvation or even root cause of the failure was ever confirmed.

All speculation.

Last edited by Mikey; 09-23-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Could be if there is a safety engine shutoff that is deployed based on inadequate oil level and the level is sloshing about just enough for an intermittent signal. I have a power generator that will act that way.
Me too. There's a big difference between a generator that holds 2qts of oil with one missing and a car engine that holds 8+ with one missing.

One sucks (air), the other doesn't.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Me too. There's a big difference between a generator that holds 2qts of oil with one missing and a car engine that holds 8+ with one missing.

One sucks (air), the other doesn't.
For these engines to fail they need to be down quite a bit more than 1 qt. More like 2 or 3.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Would be nice to be able to check the oil during a fill-up. Goofy system prevents it for at least 10 minutes. Anyone interested in a portable dipstick. I have some thoughts on how to design one.
As long as you have the hood open go through the menus and at the reading screen press cancel twice on the cruise control side of the wheel, you’ll get a real time reading.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mpowerr:
JagRag (09-23-2017), ndabunka (12-04-2017), Unhingd (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Found this in the diagrams:

Attached Thumbnails Blown Engine - 2017 F Type R-oil-sensor.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
JagRag (09-23-2017), Unhingd (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 10:44 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Found this in the diagrams:
This seems like an innovative feature, but where and when does this electronic wisardry actually display a reading or warning?

Old 12-04-2017, 12:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 R waste of money

Well I knew I wasn’t the only with this pathetic situation. Facts: 4500 miles and this motor was done. Mods: Venturi intake, blower pulley, & Capristo cat-back exhaust. Big deal and entry level mods.This is the least modified car I own. The Collection in Coral Gables basically told me to get lost. With that said is anyone here dialed in yet with a Magnuson-Moss law or lemon law attorney before I have this piece of crap parted out? It was fun while it lasted and constant battery problems and zero oil warning problems and water pump problems. All in I’m out $170k. My Aston Martin Vanquish Volante is way more modified and never skips a beat after daily beatings. TeamDame on instagram

JagRag (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DamesJagFtypeR
Well I knew I wasn’t the only with this pathetic situation. Facts: 4500 miles and this motor was done. Mods: Venturi intake, blower pulley, & Capristo cat-back exhaust. Big deal and entry level mods.This is the least modified car I own. The Collection in Coral Gables basically told me to get lost. With that said is anyone here dialed in yet with a Magnuson-Moss law or lemon law attorney before I have this piece of crap parted out? It was fun while it lasted and constant battery problems and zero oil warning problems and water pump problems. All in I’m out $170k. My Aston Martin Vanquish Volante is way more modified and never skips a beat after daily beatings. TeamDame on instagram
A bit more info would be appreciated. Did the car have a tune? From whom? How did the engine fail? Oil starvation?

Here's the right legal counsel for FL: Florida Lemon Law, Krohn & Moss, Ltd.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:33 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

A couple of things.
- JLR are truly awful about taking responsibility for serious problems and will always try to blame the owner first. I have had several personal experiences with this. They will also blame any failure on any mod whether it was related in any way or not, I am a Land Rover owner and have a very heavily modified LR3. Many owners on the forum I participate in have had these problems.
- However here is no doubt at all that an engine failure with a tune is a likely to have any manufacturer deny a claim and with pretty good reason. I have never put a tune on any car either because it was under warranty and I didn’t want this to happen, or because I have wanted o keep the car for a long time and didn’t want to Shorten it’s life.

Basically if you choose to tune a car in warranty you Need to accept that you take this risk.

JagRag (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 07:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much gave all the info I can give. Obviously, the basic mods would warrant a tune. I checked the oil a lot while the car ran and level seemed fine then one day in traffic I could tell I just lost a bunch of cylinders. Limped Home then shipped it back to the dealership and I think they said I lost 5 but they cannot help...bla, bla, bla. Thanks for the lemon law contact but sure that will be a waste of time so I will most likely part this car out. Need carbon ceramic brakes or some sweet HRE rims or anything else?

JagRag (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Pretty much gave all the info I can give. Obviously, the basic mods would warrant a tune. I checked the oil a lot while the car ran and level seemed fine then one day in traffic I could tell I just lost a bunch of cylinders. Limped Home then shipped it back to the dealership and I think they said I lost 5 but they cannot help...bla, bla, bla. Thanks for the lemon law contact but sure that will be a waste of time so I will most likely part this car out. Need carbon ceramic brakes or some sweet HRE rims or anything else?
Have you considered putting another engine in it? Find something like this... https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...ationFlag=true and it could be back on the road for under $20k. (Then you could either keep it or sell it, which has to be easier than a part-out.)

SinF (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 08:58 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

PM Sent!

Old 12-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Parting it is premature. Engine swap and then sell it.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Who's tune was it?

Old 12-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Dame, you joined in march, you've made 4 posts since then (2 on this thread) and then on this thread you say your engine has blown up with very little supporting information ie who did the tune.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:52 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

What's the total count right now of blown engines? And of course, they will blame the tuner.